my neighbor invaded my property (about 2 foot) and remove my lawn

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
^^^ Cost will probably be between $350-$700. Just to "find the pins" is basically just as involved as "doing a survey".

witler

Eight Pointer
Just curious. What does it cost to have a surveyor come out and find the pins? What about finding the property line at a midpoint between two pins on the corners? For that second question, the back property line between my neighbor and me has several trees along the property line so it would be difficult to stretch a line between the pins because several trees would interfere. There are two trees I'd like to remove that are either completely or partially on my side. The husband of the couple wouldn't mind if they were removed but the wife doesn't want them removed. If I could determine that they are completely on my side, you'd hear the sound of a chainsaw.

As for running the line with obstacles (trees,etc.) no problem, with today's technology they shoot an offset in the line and still end up at the correct point.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When I put up my fence this year I still had all the corners marked. I put the fence in a foot or two for a better visual line. I still had the neighbor on that side walk the line I laid out to make sure they didn't have any disagreement on the location.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I bought 23 acres 5 years ago, surveyor wanted $2500 as a "starting" price. Bank did not require a survey, I found the stakes, and did not get a survey.

Be sure you are right before moving forward. A survey may prove you are right, but it may prove you are wrong, and the money will be gone. As already stated, get a metal detector and look for the stakes before doing anything else.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
when my wife told him to recover, he shouted, and doesn't agree the boundary (very obvious by the irrigation system that my previous owner installed).

To dispute this, I will go to court.

1 So I would like to have land boundary survey by professionals. We need to pay them first. If we win, will the court ask my neighbor to pay back?

2 what else can we do? I am in Cary.

How did he go about invading? Landing craft,foot or jump?

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
If you purchased the property with a mortgage I guarantee you have already paid to have one done at the time of purchase, but I would guess that in a court of law you would need a current one done. going to locate the stake may not do it, he could have always tried to move it when no one was paying attention even though that is against the law. Unfortunately for you the burden of proof is on you to prove him wrong.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
If you purchased the property with a mortgage I guarantee you have already paid to have one done at the time of purchase, but I would guess that in a court of law you would need a current one done. going to locate the stake may not do it, he could have always tried to move it when no one was paying attention even though that is against the law. Unfortunately for you the burden of proof is on you to prove him wrong.

Surveys are frequently not a requirement for financing

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
depends on which direction the electrons are spinning,,,,

clockwise it's for northen hemisphere,,,,,,,counter-clockwise is for Southern Hemisphere,,,,,,,

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
That detector will not work in Cary soils. Wrong polarity. You need a detector made up north.

And those only work on the far left side of the property line........

Oh wait! I just moved here from New York!

Lance

Edit: We had a 3.5 acre property with four straight sides at angles that are not 90 degrees and with the fifth side following a good bend in the road surveyed in February for $350 in Stokes County. I also needed one side property line marked for it's full length to be sure I had room between a deeded 30' side setback and the septic leach field to ensure that I had the room build a largish shop. Due to the dense scrub brush the surveyors cleared a fair bit of brush to get good sight lines and they marked the other property lines every 50-60 feet with flagging tape anyway.

That survey was a whole lot cheaper than the survey we just paid for in New York for our farm. In our former county the seller was required to have a current survey to close any real estate sale. We had added a seven acre parcel and divided off a five acre parcel so despite having located all of the corner stakes we had to have the whole darn thing surveyed.

Last edited:

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Surveys can be very expensive...our property is measured in miles around the outside...just like buying a new car you will never get to drive to survey this place...

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
we have the same thing going on in my subdivision and one of the neighbors moved the pins.. dug them up.. I think he maybe in trouble since he isn't a surveyor.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
we have the same thing going on in my subdivision and one of the neighbors moved the pins.. dug them up.. I think he maybe in trouble since he isn't a surveyor.
He is just not pulling the correct pin.....

I would make sure one is hooked to 220 and the other has something that will go bang when he pulls it.