ok what's the deal; Commercial TSS loads?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Rumor has it that these actually exist. Federal, Winchester ?
Who has them and how did they do?

While i despise patterning shotguns i love to see those nice patterns you guys get.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Appex had them for sale for while now with good reviews and I might add for the ones that like over kill you can buy a 3 and 1/2 inch 12 gauge load of TSS from them 900 plus pellets why a person would want to punish their shoulder I don't know a 3 inch is more than enough TSS heck 2 3/4 will do the job but I'm sure they sell plenty of them Curios what Nitro Ray will have in his selection when starts selling. Do have to keep in mind them number 9 Appex sells may not be legal in some states. These are good optios for people that don't load and want to try TSS

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Appex had them for sale for while now with good reviews and I might add for the ones that like over kill you can buy a 3 and 1/2 inch 12 gauge load of TSS from them 900 plus pellets why a person would want to punish their shoulder I don't know a 3 inch is more than enough TSS heck 2 3/4 will do the job but I'm sure they sell plenty of them Curios what Nitro Ray will have in his selection when starts selling. Do have to keep in mind them number 9 Appex sells may not be legal in some states. These are good optios for people that don't load and want to try TSS

Ray is testing several sizes of shot and my last look at his website showed loads available mid-year 2017.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
what does a 7.5 TSS equate to in KE in lead ?

The measure to look for isn't KE but penetration, since penetration into vitals and breaking bones is what kills birds.

If you go by penetration into ballistic gel, the rule of thumb is TSS equates to lead 5 sizes larger, and hevishot 4 sizes larger - with a lot more pellets in the pattern with the TSS. That's why the most popular turkey size is number 9 - the penetration of #4 lead with 4 times the pellets in the pattern.

In the good old days hardly anybody would believe me what I told folks what it would do. Now the bandwagon is getting very crowded with folks looking to make $ off all that work and expense. I'm starting to feel sorta like the Little Red Hen... :)

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
The word is that the Federal shell is going to use an improved 12 ga Flite Control Wad, that is more flexible instead of the rigid one currently in us. If it's as good as their current 20 ga FC wad, it has the makings of a crazy good shell.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
any idea of cost?
anyone?

Hal, i feel your pain on being out front of the world then having it catch up. My father sold Zoom crank baits for years and years almost exclusively for ed chambers.

at least in his case he didnt design the plugs.

Dont worry everyone knows exactly who pioneered TSS loads for turkeys. :)

and it aint federal.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
any idea of cost?
anyone?

Hal, i feel your pain on being out front of the world then having it catch up. My father sold Zoom crank baits for years and years almost exclusively for ed chambers.

at least in his case he didnt design the plugs.

Dont worry everyone knows exactly who pioneered TSS loads for turkeys. :)

and it aint federal.

I'm kinda excited to see how the new Federal "less rigid" FCW handles the shot.

The same company that owns Federal owns Primos. I helped some of them boys out with the shot and loads last spring, and they loved it - too well perhaps. If you see a video from 2017 with the "3rd Degree" shells, chances are pretty good that it's one of my TSS loads inside... ;)

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I'm kinda excited to see how the new Federal "less rigid" FCW handles the shot.

The same company that owns Federal owns Primos. I helped some of them boys out with the shot and loads last spring, and they loved it - too well perhaps. If you see a video from 2017 with the "3rd Degree" shells, chances are pretty good that it's one of my TSS loads inside... ;)

That's cool Hal. Primos makes some of the few videos I enjoy. Didn't know they were owned by someone else. Did they recently sell the company?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well just how effective would one be with a primos decoy, sitting in a primos double bull blind ;shooting primos/federal tss loads.

It boggles one's mind.

seasons will have to be shortened and bag limits reduced or the turkeys will be wiped out.

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
well just how effective would one be with a primos decoy, sitting in a primos double bull blind ;shooting primos/federal tss loads.

It boggles one's mind.

seasons will have to be shortened and bag limits reduced or the turkeys will be wiped out.

:D

They could always drop down to a .410 to make it more sporting.

Here's my latest .410 TSS load patterns I shot today....

.410 Yildiz, CompNChoke .385, 370NM load
40 yds, 10" and 10-20" numbers

10s Factory Full
IMG_3663_zpssaohdjk7.jpg

10s CompNChoke
IMG_3698_zpshu2skafl.jpg

IMG_3697_zpskhwkjml2.jpg

9x10s (half and half) CompNChoke
IMG_3696_zpssrprukr9.jpg

IMG_3695_zpsssltnw4l.jpg

9-1/2s CompNChoke
IMG_3694_zpsix1o9crt.jpg

IMG_3693_zpsgjszsebk.jpg

With the CompNChoke, here are the numbers broken down:

Total in 20", 2 shots
9-1/2s: 555
9x10s: 573
10s: 579

Average in 10", 2 shots
10s: 127.5
9x10s: 143.5
9-1/2s: 159.5

Average in 10-20", 2 shots

10s: 162
9x10s: 143
9-1/2s: 118

Averages per size, 2 shots

10s: 10" - 127.5
10s: 10-20" - 162

9x10s: 10" - 143.5
9x10s: 10-20" - 143

9-1/2s: 10" - 159.5
9-1/2s: 10-20" - 118

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
What's funny, is that those patterns blow away my old 12 ga 3" Federal 1-7/8 oz of copper plated lead 4s...

Who'da thunk it....

Where's TC when you need him to chime in?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
HL, have you tested any larger size for deer?

That would be interesting. Squirrels and rabbits would be nice. Not all that much shooting, but should prevent a tooth breaking pellet.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
HL, have you tested any larger size for deer?

That would be interesting. Squirrels and rabbits would be nice. Not all that much shooting, but should prevent a tooth breaking pellet.

Yes, here's a nice buck one of our forum members shot with BBs last year at 70+ yds....
TSS%20deer%2070-80%20yds%20Trevor%20Capps_zpshnenvrlb.jpeg