Will turkeys roost during the eclipse?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I would think most of those in the very dark area might fly up if a tree is close by. Although it may happen so fast they don't have time to get to one? I'm also curious how yotes might react in two minutes of darkness.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Do they fly up midday when a thunderstorm blocks the sun? Don't read to much into this whole eclipse thing wild animals don't have TV or MSM hyping everything up. It's just another day in the grand scheme of things.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't know about turkeys or coyotes, but I know I am prepared with a virgin (daquiri) sacrifice to make the sun come back!!!

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Interesting, maybe someone on here with barn yard chickens will tell us if the chickens go to roost during the eclipse.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Back in the 70's when we had the eclipse our chickens went to roost and when it started getting light again the damn rooster crowed for 2 hours.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
wouldnt it have been neat for this to happen during the spring season. there would have been some interesting tales that would have come out of that.

i have had one fly down; then fly back up and gobble but not in the middle of the afternoon.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
wouldnt it have been neat for this to happen during the spring season. there would have been some interesting tales that would have come out of that.

i have had one fly down; then fly back up and gobble but not in the middle of the afternoon.

The one in 2024 actually happens in April, and goes through Missouri I think AND texas. Might a good one to study?

We were in totality in Murphy yesterday, and I have to say, that 97%, even 98%, I doubt the turkeys even noticed. The cicadas and crickets lit up minutes before, but imho, a turkey out in a field, wouldn't have changed any behavior until maybe the 99% to totality. That span of time took maybe 30 seconds. Then 2.5 minutes of totality. of which I'm CERTAIN every turkey under that shadow must have been panicking, maybe looking for a roost.

I'd guess anywhere outside of totality, it was just another day.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good rule of thumb is if it doesn't bother a street light it ain't bothered a turkey.

Last edited: