No Spearfishing on the Caribsea

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I'd love to stick some fish on this wreck, but it just doesn't make sense (if you have any to start) to try it!

The video is rather long (just shy of 4 min), but its a good reference to what type of dive the Caribsea will provide.

https://vimeo.com/229512996

Browning86

Six Pointer
I know those sharks more than likely won't bother you but that has to be intimidating being that close to them the first few dives. Ever see any more aggressive sharks that you have to watch closer? I've heard those sand tigers are pretty docile.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I always wanted to try spearfishing one time, but my nerves aren't good enough for it. That right there is a great big ol case of "HAAAAIIIIILLLLLLL NAH!" I wasn't aware of how many wrecks are off our coast for spearfishing opportunities. Is that your video?

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Off the top of my head I've run into ST, sandbars, hammerheads, a blue, reef sharks, bulls, and one tiger shark while spearfishing.

The ST's don't really bother me as long as I know where they are. Sometimes you can shoot a grouper from underneath one, you just need to be prepared for the next one to swim by. It's the NST's (non-sand tiger) that give me concern. In my experience it's also the smaller sharks that will continue to challenge you for the fish. The bigger ones don't have to be as aggressive to eat. You need to pick your fishing spots and shots carefully.

There are places you can and places you CAN'T spearfish. You just need to pick your locations and be prepared for an encounter. My philosophy is you need to be the bigger, badder animal and keep/defend your catch. I've only lost one fish to sharks and I didn't have the option to try and keep it. The sandbars (3) were on me just as I got my hands on the fish.

Yes, my Vimeo page/videos.

ETA: watch the video "no fish for you" and you'll see what I'm talking about with convincing the larger sharks.

Last edited:

SpearDiver

Button Buck
I do a lot of freedive spearfishing here off the coast. When I dont see sharks is when I worry, (usually means there is something bigger and meaner around).
The sandbars can be pesky, but a couple jabs in the snout with my spear is all it has ever taken for them to know its not worth fighting me for a fish.
As said above, the sand tigers are really docile during the day and not much of a concern. But I have been chased out of the water by a bull shark that just wouldn't give up even after stabbing him in the face multiple times with my spear.

For me its all part of why it is such an exciting and rewarding hobby.

Browning86

Six Pointer
Any of you guys ever had a run in with a great white off of the NC coast? I know they aren't really common but they are there for sure.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The wife of the boat owner has video of a juvenile on the wreck of the Aeolus from several years ago. She also found a fresh upper anterior 2 or 3 tooth on the stern of the Naeco. By fresh I mean it still had a pink root.

There are more out there than people realize.

Last edited: