Dove Outlook

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Last year I shot 0 doves. Only saw one while I was afield and never shot once. Something was definitely amiss. What are you seeing this year in your spots?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Last year I shot 0 doves. Only saw one while I was afield and never shot once. Something was definitely amiss. What are you seeing this year in your spots?

I have not looked. I shot 0 doves last year but it wasn't from the lack of trying. I'm just a terrible shooter.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Here in west Lincoln I see tons of them daily and is it just me or are these birds not huge this year. I shot tons of birds last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Around Havelock/ Cherry Point I have been seeing tons. There's a few open areas I'm going to try hunting, but I don't have access to the good spots on base yet, don't have the base hunting permit.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I know I'm not local but I bushhogged about half my millet and two passes of sunflowers last week. Sunday morning, there was 200+ sitting on my fence and barn roof.

I must be sitting right smack in the middle of a big flyway for doves because I dang sure got'em right now. My luck, a front will come through and push'em out.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^ You must have a tremendous number of local birds to have that number accumulate that fast.

So far, I'd say about average around here for this time of year. I'm going to cut a little bit more today or tomorrow. It is funny that when you cut even a few strips, within 24 hours the numbers double.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
^^ You must have a tremendous number of local birds to have that number accumulate that fast.

So far, I'd say about average around here for this time of year. I'm going to cut a little bit more today or tomorrow. It is funny that when you cut even a few strips, within 24 hours the numbers double.

Sky hawk, its crazy. I've always said if I had a farm, I'd have a good dove hunt. But these numbers are beyond my expectations. I mainly planted stuff here so I could go out 2-3 evenings a week and shoot 6-8 for my dog to keep her on her A game. I will say my numbers about doubled last week after those couple mornings were in the upper 50's and highs in the 70's. My place is big enough for only me and another shooter and I have zero intentions of burning them up on a shoot. Just shoot a few each day and let'em feed. My biggest fear is them eating up all the feed. One dove don't eat much. But big numbers can put a big dent in what's on the ground.

I think what's helping me is my farm is only 100yds off the French broad river. It's fact that doves have flyways and use waterways the same as ducks.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Ive seen more resident birds here in the piedmont than I have in awhile... However, with all the rain we keep having im not sure fields will be cut before the opener in many places

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Sky hawk, its crazy. I've always said if I had a farm, I'd have a good dove hunt. But these numbers are beyond my expectations. I mainly planted stuff here so I could go out 2-3 evenings a week and shoot 6-8 for my dog to keep her on her A game. I will say my numbers about doubled last week after those couple mornings were in the upper 50's and highs in the 70's. My place is big enough for only me and another shooter and I have zero intentions of burning them up on a shoot. Just shoot a few each day and let'em feed. My biggest fear is them eating up all the feed. One dove don't eat much. But big numbers can put a big dent in what's on the ground.

I think what's helping me is my farm is only 100yds off the French broad river. It's fact that doves have flyways and use waterways the same as ducks.

What county are you in?

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Like I said in Sandhills hunters dove thread,I have been seeing a bunch the last few weeks,most are smaller like this years hatch.