Who Done It?

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rather that tacking on to the "What Animal" thread, here is another who done it question. And it occurred between 12 noon and 3 PM in the middle of a 40 acre pasture. What do you think?

IM000001.jpgIM000002.jpg

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I have seen coyotes do that many times particularly with 1st time mamas. They eat the guts for the minerals.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Canine. On a side note, my last camera pull showed coyotes traveling together at midday on multiple different occasions.

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
No question. Coyotes. Bobcat would have covered it up and never eat that much. Dogs would not have tore into the guts and not likely any other area.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting.....no kids vanished here but the damage to the calf is pretty much identical to the damage to the adult goat. And I did not look for bite marks on the neck as I knew this happened during or immediately after birthing. But seems like lots more folks think the goat scenario is something other than coyote or dogs. But it is near unanimous that the calf was done in by coyotes or dogs.

Carry on......

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Yep, a bobcat would have most likely have covered it up and probably moved it as well unless scared off. Likely canine. Free-roaming or feral dogs or coyotes IMO. It sure is clean around the carcass though.

Last edited:

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I'll go out on a limb and say weak calf killed by black buzzards...personally seen it happen several times.Also seen house dogs kill goats and have killed them in the act.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I think I can eliminate bobcat for a couple of reasons. They usually cover leftovers. They usually dine alone and would never consume that much. I'm more inclined to say bear, which no one has mentioned so far. I believe if it were coyotes there would be a messier area around the carcass. Coyotes have a huge appetite but that's still a lot of missing meat for just one coyote. If more than one coyote there probably would be more signs of the carcass being drug back and forth as they tore out chunks of meat.

Bear because I have seen bear kills before and they just kill, hold down the animal with their paws and tear away the meat.

I could be wrong.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
The picture might be misleading as far as the size of the calf, if it is a newborn they are not that big, not a whole lot of meat and intestines on one a day old.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Also...don't buzzards usually eat the eyes ?
Not necessarily,I've seen so many on one calf it looked like Africa...the one thing that makes cows real anxious,they barely look up at a yote,a yote would rather have the afterbirth.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like the jury is still out on the What Animal thread but I will put this one to bed.

The cow was away from the rest of the herd in the middle of the big pasture at 12 noon. She was due but no sign of active labor at that time. At 3 PM, the calf was found as pictured with the cow staying close. It was late September and the wind that day was out of the NE but not blowing very hard. A creek bottom/beaver swamp was around 600 yds SW of the cow/calf location.

After a quick glance at the dead calf, I set up farther west to keep my scent out of the creek bottom and about 250 yds from the woodline where I believed the culprit had come from. Around 6:30, the yote came out of the woods on a steady trot headed toward the dead calf. He was quartering to my left. At approx 200 yds, I got him in my crosshairs and let the .204 eat. He kicked a couple of times but never made it back to his feet.

IM000003.jpg
IM000009.jpg

The conditions were perfect for the yote to smell the cow calving and it took advantage of an easy meal in broad daylight. Fortunately, it was his last. IIRC, he was around 30 lbs. I had his pelt tanned and it hangs on my wall.

Since that time, literally hundreds of calves have been born in that same pasture but we have not had anymore calves killed

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope, I did not. Assuming a live birth, within the 3 hour window, I figured the evisceration started during the birth or definitely before the calf or cow was able to stand afterwards. The soft underbelly of the immobile calf was easy picking and the cow was to weak to provide defense. The calf was likely eaten alive and died from blood loss.