Universal M1 Carbine

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I remember my Universal M1 Carbine as a fine and totally reliable fun to shoot rifle.

But.....questions of its quality aside, especially in the third generation of production, this ad copy from the company may be in large part, a reason that Universal Firearms Corp is out of business....

OnQZKmM.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Well. I bought the carbine. Nothing to tell though cause after reading the latest post of doom I came back here to rethink my original and exuberant post about my new toy.

I foolishly looked at an ignored post. Curiosity got me. I thought surely just once he will be positive.

Click

Think again. I suppose it'll detonate even before the trigger can be pulled.

So. Move on. Nothing to see here. I'm takin my toys and going home. I hope none of em blow up though. That'd make me very sad. See ya on the range.

If I blow up I hope one of ya will do the medical ABCs for me? Well. Maybe none of my stuff is gonna blow up. Will it?......

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Dont know what you paid for them but the last few I sold was very happy when they sold for 200.

Never found much to desire with them. Military guns are far better and can still be had.

The spring loaded fireing pin is a problem waiting to happen.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Hmmm. Seems it might not be a complete new in box turd. But. I hadda feeling it was at least a polished plopper. A note from Mr Jim, admin at carbinescal30.com.

Hi

Yes, it's a carbine made by Universal Firearms so the parts are compatible with surplus GI parts and parts from other carbines that stuck to the standard. Not one of their hybrids they made from s/n 100k on.

These were made for police agencies that wanted carbines compatible with the others they trained with, used or had over the years. Sometimes orders/quantities change ed and some of them were sold to civilians.

It's one of the ones I've called Universal Redux. Not all had the single recoil spring. Not all had the bolt with internal firing pin. They were "made to order" for whatever agency was buying them.

Your's has the highest s/n I've seen or heard of so far. The next highest is 398102. Based on the other serial numbers just before and after this one and the info I have on their sales dates it was probably made in 1978.

All of the receivers used by Universal were milled from forged steel. Typically there were two things Universal stuck with from current production on these. Their front sight with set screw and aluminum trigger housing in use at the time. Should be the reactangular one with the rectangle cut in the stock.

A rare Universal carbine with most of it compatible with GI parts.

Jim

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
.......Not all had the bolt with internal firing pin........

A rare Universal carbine with most of it compatible with GI parts.

Jim

I think he miss spoke on the bolt with internal firing pin as all the bolts had the firing pin, none were open bolt slam fire with the pin being mechanism being part of the bolt construction.

Rare is in the eye of the holder.
Not very common and may be worth a shooter but not what most call collectable like a Military.

About the only ones they made that bring money is the full auto or pistols.

wonder what type of value Jim would place on it.

But is does look like you found a shooter. The single main spring guns are the only ones that work close to what they should.