Self bow build pics

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
So I have always wanted to build a bow for myself I have just put it off for a long time. So this winter I found a nice straight hickory tree and cut it down and began my self bow build.

Once I had the tree down I began splitting staves of of it with a sledge hammer and axe. I was able to split it into 4 staves and put them up to dry. To say it was painful to wait was an under statement. Like a kid a waiting on Christmas morning I couldn't stand it anymore and started one about a 3 weeks after cutting the tree down.... Mistake. I worked so hard getting the bow down to shape and it was looking great but after a bit it warped like crazy. I knew better but I did learn a lot on the first one so I could apply that to the second bow.

So after 3 months I started on the second one. Using a draw knife, hatchet, rasp and sand paper I was able to produce a bow. Would love to know how many hours I have in the bow but today I was able to see and feel the fruits of my labor. I put the string on her today and shot arrows through what was once a tree. The feeling that came over me was one that can't be explained.(I know that sounds crazy) I still have a little bit of work to do on her but overall she will shoot an arrow. A bit of a heavy draw so I plan to shave some more out of the limbs and cut in a arrow shelf. I also am waiting to do the natural bees wax stain for when I get her just right!

So excited to share and hope to take a deer with this bow this year.

Here aimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgre some pics from start to where I am now!

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
My hat goes off to you. I may have to try one for next year. Any major tips on wood selection, string, arrows etc?

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Carolina Traditional Archers has a primitive skills weekend coming up the first weekend in Nov. Lots of bow builders in the group. You could pick their brains. Knappers. Arrow builders, etc...

www.thecta.org

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
Thanks guys! As far as woods goes Osage orange seems to be the most popular choice but hickory is a good choice and it grows here. The biggest tip I could give is patience. You can not rush this process in anyway. I choose a fast flight string and as for arrows I have t got there yet.

Looking good for your first go-round. Keep a close eye on the fades, looks like the limbs might be hinging a tad there. Hickory is so tension strong that a hinge will lead to crystallization on the belly. You might want to scrape a little more in the middle third of the limbs to get them flexing a tad more to alleviate that.

The best tool I ever used for tillering is the "tillering gizmo" (google it). It'll tell you exactly which areas are flat and need more work.

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
Looking good for your first go-round. Keep a close eye on the fades, looks like the limbs might be hinging a tad there. Hickory is so tension strong that a hinge will lead to crystallization on the belly. You might want to scrape a little more in the middle third of the limbs to get them flexing a tad more to alleviate that.

The best tool I ever used for tillering is the "tillering gizmo" (google it). It'll tell you exactly which areas are flat and need more work.
Thanks for the feed back. I need all the help I can get. I will work on that

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

excellent advice here on the hinge, crystallization and the gizmo.... Been there, done that. :)