Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what would you do??

If you don't have a creek or spring that runs all year,a small pond would be a good starting point...if you've got water and cover already a good mineral site in the middle of the property would be something to start with.
    "I wish i could breathe life back in him, if i could i'd hunt him again tomorrow." Ben Rogers Lee.

Contributor

Holy crap! You have a bunch to do according to some of these post. How about set up 2-3 stands and just hunt it this year. Instead of manipulating the habitat.......see what you have naturally........no food plots.......no tree trimming........just hunt

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Holy crap! You have a bunch to do according to some of these post. How about set up 2-3 stands and just hunt it this year. Instead of manipulating the habitat.......see what you have naturally........no food plots.......no tree trimming........just hunt
    I'm with you Scotty... this late, that is exactly what I would do. Maybe a food plot IF there was a place for one already.
    80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Academic/Athletic Fraud spanning 4 decades, 4+ coaches and 2,645 student athlete enrollments. Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty, and Roy Williams. That's a ton of dadgum cheating...

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by DozerD View Post
    Being selective is not a issue. Other than family members that are new to hunting, passing on young deer will be the norm. I guess I'm more referring to habitat manipulation. I want to make sound, thought out decisions on improvements to the habitat
    OP opened the door to habitat improvement, something many folks overlook, especially when dumping corn is a viable, successful and legal option. While habitat management is a longer term consideration than 2017 season, simple low cost management practices can have a huge impact on future enjoyment of the property. DozerD is approaching it the right way; learn property, define objective, research options and develop a plan.
    Last edited by para4514; 08-13-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Find the busiest deer areas and figure out several ways to access them. If sign is already there, so are the animals.
    Game cameras will tell you if it's all nighttime movement and if that's the case then a food/bait source is absolutely necessary.
    Enjoy trying new things, but keep pressure to a minimum if possible.
    44 acres is plenty to hunt, but small enough to be easily buggered up by careless hunting techniques.
    Congrads and good luck.

Six Pointer

What I would do for the up coming season:
    - put out corn in 1-2 spots with trial camera's
    - Put up 2-3 tree stands (or blinds) in area's where you can see the farthest
    - AND JUST HUNT

Make adjustments after the seasons out

Spike

Thanks for the tips. Para4514 hit the nail on the head. It was not a question I presented to get quick results. I finally have the ability to make something mine. I want to make wise thought out decisions regarding habitat. It's more a "what would you do over the next five years" kind of thing. Learning more about tree and plant species on the property seems like a good first step, other than hunting!!

What gameland are you near? If you are near Corinth or Buckhorn damn then that gameland gets Alot of pressure.
    Hunting in the Sandhills and Foothills of NC

Post it now, and put lots of signage on the common border with game lands. Find out from seller what hunting history is, to anticipate the trespassers.

Contributor

You can probably plan on spending opening day running poachers off.

Remember when placing your stands that the game land hunters will use the orange marked trails as the way in and out of game lands. If you want a peaceful hunt......keep stand away from the line
    Last edited by ScottyB; 08-14-2017 at 08:26 AM.