what would you do??

DozerD

Six Pointer
I can officially say that I will be hunting on family land this year!!!! My parents have just purchased a piece of property in Chatham county and will be starting construction on a house in the coming months. My wife and I will be buying a few acres from them next year to build a house as well. I would like to know your suggestions on hunting a new piece of property that will be around for a long time. So far, the plan is to monitor trail cameras and just hunt. I feel like getting to know the land over the next season is our best bet. I don't want to rush into planting food plots and throwing corn all over. Any suggestions on the do's and don'ts?

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
Total acres? Open? Wooded? Crops?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lowery63

Four Pointer
Depending on what u want out of it start with doe management and getting rid of lease desirable buck and learn to let walk but be ready to hear just shoot it all up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DozerD

Six Pointer
44, adjacent to game lands. Lots of deer and turkey sign through out the property. Mix of mature hardwoods and young pine. No fields or clear cut.

DozerD

Six Pointer
Being selective is not a issue. Other than family members that are new to hunting, passing on young deer will be the norm. I guess I'm more referring to habitat manipulation. I want to make sound, thought out decisions on improvements to the habitat

lbksmom

Banned
Hunt the edges where hardwood/pine meet, put out some corn in a couple weeks if you bow hunt, the most fun time of the year. Stay 100yards away the game lands. Post the property now. Do not put much pressure on when rifle kicks in, the deer will move on your land from gamelands. Good luck to you.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I would assume on 44 acres you would want some very good bedding areas.
If it were me I would put in a very good food plot along with some bedding and if your after a nice buck don't shoot anything until you see the one you want.

Probably be a good spot late in the year if you have food and thick bedding.

sent from...... Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
getting rid of lease desirable buck

The Whitetail Super Clinics lead by research of Dr Deer, Jim Kroll, proved this is not adviseable....we were taught wrong by our elders. It turns out "scrub bucks" can, and often do, turn into perfectly balanced antlers given 2-3 yrs. Often a "cowhorn" is a perfect 4 or 6 pt the next year.
Only "cull" bucks with odd antlers after seeing them 2 yrs running.
ALSO, 15% of smaller bucks can be harvested (think youth or beginning hunter) with no adverse effect on the end result of larger bucks.

Fertilize the oaks with 10-10-10 as well as the honeysuckle.

It would help us to have a sketch of the property to see what is wooded-pine-oaks labeled, creeks/branches, and North end.

Last edited:

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Open up the canopy of the hardwoods. Girdle or hack and squirt to create some snags to let sunlight reach the forest floor. Select some well shaped dominate oaks and release them from adjacent competition. Don't overlook other mast species such as blackgum, beech and persimmon as well as blueberry and greenbrier. Cut small clusters of mid story trees (maple, sweetgum, sourwood, ash) to improve browse. Cut a few different species of trees to see which the deer prefer to browse. I noticed today that the sourwoods are preferred at our home place. Depending how old and dense the pines are, identify areas with suppressed, poor formed or diseased pines. Thin these areas to about 250 trees per acre 12-14 feet between trees. This should allow understory to flush out to improve food and cover. Can fertilize the canopy gaps and thinned pine areas to "sweeten-up" browse.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
If you don't have a creek or spring that runs all year,a small pond would be a good starting point...if you've got water and cover already a good mineral site in the middle of the property would be something to start with.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Holy crap! You have a bunch to do according to some of these post. How about set up 2-3 stands and just hunt it this year. Instead of manipulating the habitat.......see what you have naturally........no food plots.......no tree trimming........just hunt

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Holy crap! You have a bunch to do according to some of these post. How about set up 2-3 stands and just hunt it this year. Instead of manipulating the habitat.......see what you have naturally........no food plots.......no tree trimming........just hunt

I'm with you Scotty... this late, that is exactly what I would do. Maybe a food plot IF there was a place for one already.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Being selective is not a issue. Other than family members that are new to hunting, passing on young deer will be the norm. I guess I'm more referring to habitat manipulation. I want to make sound, thought out decisions on improvements to the habitat

OP opened the door to habitat improvement, something many folks overlook, especially when dumping corn is a viable, successful and legal option. While habitat management is a longer term consideration than 2017 season, simple low cost management practices can have a huge impact on future enjoyment of the property. DozerD is approaching it the right way; learn property, define objective, research options and develop a plan.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Find the busiest deer areas and figure out several ways to access them. If sign is already there, so are the animals.
Game cameras will tell you if it's all nighttime movement and if that's the case then a food/bait source is absolutely necessary.
Enjoy trying new things, but keep pressure to a minimum if possible.
44 acres is plenty to hunt, but small enough to be easily buggered up by careless hunting techniques.
Congrads and good luck.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
What I would do for the up coming season:
- put out corn in 1-2 spots with trial camera's
- Put up 2-3 tree stands (or blinds) in area's where you can see the farthest
- AND JUST HUNT

Make adjustments after the seasons out

DozerD

Six Pointer
Thanks for the tips. Para4514 hit the nail on the head. It was not a question I presented to get quick results. I finally have the ability to make something mine. I want to make wise thought out decisions regarding habitat. It's more a "what would you do over the next five years" kind of thing. Learning more about tree and plant species on the property seems like a good first step, other than hunting!!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What gameland are you near? If you are near Corinth or Buckhorn damn then that gameland gets Alot of pressure.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Post it now, and put lots of signage on the common border with game lands. Find out from seller what hunting history is, to anticipate the trespassers.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can probably plan on spending opening day running poachers off.

Remember when placing your stands that the game land hunters will use the orange marked trails as the way in and out of game lands. If you want a peaceful hunt......keep stand away from the line

Last edited: