Joyce Kilmer memorial forest

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Huge tulip poplars at this place are amazing. Some of the last remaining Virgin poplars in North Carolina. They are estimated at 400 + years old.
8c10b327566ad1abcbe9a4e3f23e35fe.jpg
21f947f559248a110399a3849bb387cf.jpg
2f24fa0118ffedfcdcef82a24e9372aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
They're impressive for sure. Some other giants still out there, but they're few and far in between. Including some larger than that.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
I would like to see some bigger than these trees here in NC Justin. Not one to bust your chops or 1 up you, I would just like to see the tree in person.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Joyce Kilmer are the biggest I've seen personally. I've got an arborist acquaintance that measures large trees, and he's measured a poplar outside of JK, but in the Smokys, I'm not sure where, that is 198ft tall. It may actually be on the TN side. JK is probably the largest collection of them, and quite possibly the largest DBH poplars, but not home of the champion if I'm remember correctly. Will Blozan found it. Good guy that has an interest in giant trees.

Sorry I was trying to discredit JK, as it's an amazing place.

Last edited:

mudflap

Ten Pointer
I'm a carpenter by trade so you know I was wishing I had a 100' thin flexible tape measure to check the biggest one in the first picture. I would bet at least 12' through the tree and 30' around.

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
Memorized his poem in the 6th grade. Just said it out loud to myself. That's a tree who looks at God all day.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I've been to that tree. I used to know. It's been 13 years since I've seen it, and my memory escapes me :(

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Sure would make a lot of furniture frames and pallets.:D Just kidding; I hope it stands there another 400 years.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That place is magical, you feel truly insignificant standing beside those trees and listening to the wind in the tops.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was there with the family a few weeks ago. The last picture you posted is my favorite tree because of the roots at the base. Makes for a cool picture if you get really low with the camera.

If I'm not mistaken the tallest 3 in NC are all in the Cataloochee area. The tallest tree is called the Boogerman pine. The tallest poplar is also there. But the ones in Joyce Kilmer are mostly busted off, with many of them missing their crown.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The boogerman pine isn't the tallest anymore. It used to be. It got broken off a while back. Down to the 180s the there are a few poplars in the 190s. I'll ask Will the exact heights, as he's the one that has measured and recorded them.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Justin these measurements I posted where from Will. I couldn't get the whole pdf to load. Dumb question. Are the measurements in circumference or diameter?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Any questions for Will? Sent him a text to clarify a few things. The guy is an awesome mind to pick. His work on giant hemlocks and hemlock wooly adelgid is unreal. Unfortunately, a lot of giant hemlocks he's found, have since succumbed. ☹️

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Yeah, is there a good list for the biggest trees here in NC, and surrounding states?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
That's "DBH". Which is Diameter at Breast Height, with a tape that goes around the circumference.
Which is why I'm guessing diameter.

Heard back from Will. Tallest polar he's measured was 192' in NC. Boogerman is around 189. He's going back to remeasure this winter.