Shotgun

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Regulations Digest, p. 82, Wake County section, says: "[Illegal to...] take any animal with a centerfire rifle, unless the person is positioned at least eight feet above the ground."

I understand that to mean there is no elevation requirement for a shotgun. Do I have this correct?

That's the way I understand it also, muzzle loaders would be excluded as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That elevation rule for Wake county applies to centerfire rifles only. You can hunt from the ground with a shotgun or ML, neither of which are considered "centerfire rifles".

(No reason you couldn't legally use a centerfire revolver from the ground in Wake, either).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
That elevation rule for Wake county applies to centerfire rifles only. You can hunt from the ground with a shotgun or ML, neither of which are considered "centerfire rifles".

(No reason you couldn't legally use a centerfire revolver from the ground in Wake, either).

MZL and pistol are different things but when you put a RIFLED barrel on a shotgun, it IS a centerfire rifle.
A call to the NCWRC is in order to clear this up.
I will make a call but I will not post their reply, if you want/need to know, call for yourself. As I age, I find that way too many folks rely on others for info and any that I post would be MY comprehension on any question concerning wildlife laws/rules.
Your comprehension/ may differ.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
MZL and pistol are different things but when you put a RIFLED barrel on a shotgun, it IS a centerfire rifle.
I will make a call but I will not post their reply, if you want/need to know, call for yourself. As I age, I find that way too many folks rely on others for info and any that I post would be MY comprehension on any question concerning wildlife laws/rules.

Always a prudent choice of action.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer

Just to stir the pot what about using an AR pistol with a brace?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
If that was the case, rifled barrels wouldn't be legal in shotgun only states...but they are. Because it's still a shotgun...

If a rifled slug gun is a centerfire rifle, then an inline muzzleloader is as well. That's not the case either.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
If that was the case, rifled barrels wouldn't be legal in shotgun only states...but they are. Because it's still a shotgun...

If a rifled slug gun is a centerfire rifle, then an inline muzzleloader is as well. That's not the case either.

Wake County....................................

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Wake County....................................

I'm aware. The reg books states it's unlawful to "Take any animal with a centerfire rifle, unless the person is positioned at least 8 feet off the ground"

BATFE says a shotgun with a rifled barrel is (gasp) still a shotgun. End of discussion.

DozerD

Six Pointer

Making a call to NCWRC would be wise regarding any uncertainty in rules or laws. I did so 10 years ago on this very topic. A shotgun is still a shotgun regardless of the barrel or projectile. IMO the reason for the 8ft rule pertains to a rifles projectile traveling much farther than that of a sabot slug. Also, the counties that have the law in place tend to be much more populated. Having a rifled barrel and scope combo on your deer slug gun increases your distance by a good bit but increases your accuracy tremendously!!!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just to stir the pot what about using an AR pistol with a brace?

I think that might depend on which warden stopped you and how his day was going.:roll eyes:

Here's another twist; how about a T/C Encore or Contender in a pistol configuration, chambered in 7x30 Waters, 30-30, or one of the other centerfire rifle rounds they come in? Legal to hunt from the ground in Wake or not?

I think the real issue is the law was written long before scope-mounted shotguns with rifled barrels shooting sabot rounds became common. Maybe its time to revisit the law......

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I to put this question to the NWRC several years ago ,because I was bear hunting in a county that had the 8ft rule,a shot gun is a shotgun no matter what kinda barrel is on it.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tested Imp Cyl, Mod, Full, X-Full chokes and regular Remington 00 buck. The modified choke did the best out to 40 yards, then patterns really open up. The Winchester foster (rifled) slugs with hold 3" at 75 yards then open to around 6" at 100 yards. using Imp Cyl and Mod the modifed again as a little better. I use a Busnell 1.5-4.5x32 scope on it.

Another option.. Get over to Gander before they close up. They still have several H&R fully rifled single shot shot guns. I have a heavy barreled 20 ga and it is rifle accurate. The heavy barrel eats up recoil as a bonus.

Check with the GW about a ML ... I had one tell me a few years back that it fell under rifle rules in Wake Co....

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
This doesn't sound right.
Check with the GW about a ML ... I had one tell me a few years back that it fell under rifle rules in Wake Co....

Therein lies the problem, the only person that you have to convince that your weapon is legal is the GW and or Deputy who meets you at your truck at dark thirty.
As in all things wildlife related, get printed response from the NCWRC and have it with you while hunting. In the case of Wake County 8-foot rule you may want to get printed response from the WC Sheriff's office too.
This sounds like alot of work but if you get cited, you will have a harder time chasing this info down afterward due to having court date to meet.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This doesn't sound right.

Therein lies the problem, the only person that you have to convince that your weapon is legal is the GW and or Deputy who meets you at your truck at dark thirty.
As in all things wildlife related, get printed response from the NCWRC and have it with you while hunting. In the case of Wake County 8-foot rule you may want to get printed response from the WC Sheriff's office too.
This sounds like alot of work but if you get cited, you will have a harder time chasing this info down afterward due to having court date to meet.

I agree as a ML is not even a firearm by BATF rules. BUT... I asked a GW and was told that, so I'm playing by those rules. Not worth the hassle of the ticket, etc.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I spoke with game warden. He told me to take my rifled shotgun out there on the ground "and bust a big one". So a rifled shotgun is not a centerfire rifle.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not in Wake County...

You can not change a guns design per atf by shooting different ammo.

LIke the Judge and governor, they do not become a shotgun if you shoot 410 in it.
Likewise shooting a 9mm or 45 pistol round in a rifle does not make it a pistol or handgun.

Sbooting slugs, buck, steel or lead shot. It is still a shotgun.

if you could change the class of a gun just changing the ammo then you could get away with shorter barrels on a slug gun.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Did you get that in writing?
Good luck hunting.

There was talk about changing it years back making the law read something about shooting from the ground was permited with a shotgun shooting buckshot or smaller sbotshells.

They never did anything

They treated it the same as a muzzleloader being a short range weapon.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
You can not change a guns design per atf by shooting different ammo.

LIke the Judge and governor, they do not become a shotgun if you shoot 410 in it.
Likewise shooting a 9mm or 45 pistol round in a rifle does not make it a pistol or handgun.

Sbooting slugs, buck, steel or lead shot. It is still a shotgun.

if you could change the class of a gun just changing the ammo then you could get away with shorter barrels on a slug gun.

I posted about changing to a RIFLED BARREL.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I have a friend that has a remington 11/87 20gauge rifled canti-lever slug barrel new in the box never fired for $675.00

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Well, today I had the pleasure of meeting a member on this forum, who had a rifled 870 barrel. We met on his family farm and shot some sabot slugs. They were no better than my standard barrel. Then his dad came over with some Winchester SuperX, 2 3/4 rifled slugs. This picture is from nearly 50 yards, braced with a shooting stick. The difference is amazing. Who would believe that ammo could make that much difference? Or that Winchester ammo performs so much better than Remington ammo in a Remington rifle? Needless to say, I went home with that barrel.

I appreciate the great information, and the great people I've met through this forum.

plate.JPG

bradman

Spike
Well, today I had the pleasure of meeting a member on this forum, who had a rifled 870 barrel. We met on his family farm and shot some sabot slugs. They were no better than my standard barrel. Then his dad came over with some Winchester SuperX, 2 3/4 rifled slugs. This picture is from nearly 50 yards, braced with a shooting stick. The difference is amazing. Who would believe that ammo could make that much difference? Or that Winchester ammo performs so much better than Remington ammo in a Remington rifle? Needless to say, I went home with that barrel.

I appreciate the great information, and the great people I've met through this forum.

View attachment 56480

+1 Awesome guys! And a nice group on the plate.

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
That's why you pattern shotguns and sight in rifles... :)

Just because it's a Remington gun, doesn't mean Remington ammo is the best for it, each gun can pattern differently...

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Shotguns can be finicky beasts; you'll always be best-served if you try different types of shells and find out what your gun "likes".

This is what my Mossberg 500 smoothbore slugster barrel with open sights shooting Federal Tru-ball slugs can do at 50 yards.....

IMG_20141012_100244131.jpg