Where to buy seed.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This will be my first year buying seed for plots. We just closed on our land yesterday and, from asking before and previous posts, fall planting time is fast approaching. I've still got to mow and spray my plot areas, but where do I buy the seeds? I'm in Stokes County.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I buy mine from Hancock's when I can't get it close to me or it's to expensive to by local. Most of their seeds have free shipping under 25# and will be at your door in about 4 days.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This will be my first year buying seed for plots. We just closed on our land yesterday and, from asking before and previous posts, fall planting time is fast approaching. I've still got to mow and spray my plot areas, but where do I buy the seeds? I'm in Stokes County.
If you have a Southern States close most of them have bags open already for less than full bag purchases, or our local one does.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LTD in King should have what you need, or they will get it.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just order from whitetail institute

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not knocking it, but you can usually get larger quantities of seed that do the same for the same price or cheaper from a local farm supply/seed store.

OP, see if there's a CPS (Crop Production Services) in your area. They usually have all the typical foodplot seeds, or can get them within a few days.

lbksmom

Banned
Get that 2 ton/acre of lime out now, take soil sample for your planting, this will save you time/money instead of guess work. Definately spray wait 10 days then disc well, you should have your lime down before discing. Put out Oats, turnip, radish, in @ Sep.2-18 this will get you this year. These grow with lower PH, fertilize once you seed with AG recommendation. Do clover next year once your PH gets up from liming fall is best. Next spring, soybeans for sure. Good luck, happy/safe hunting this year.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks yal. Everything is happening fast on this end. A good fast. Children, trying to lock down a house plan(which we've switched several times over, but for good reason,) partial construction lender, start the farm up, work, school, perc, well, power, everything else, oh and deer. Can't forget the deer. Lol.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I'm late posting...The mill in Walnut Cove has a little bit of everything and are good guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
☝️I've planted a small "plot" in the woods a few times. Told him what I was trying to do and he just about gave me the seed from bags he already had open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Southern States carries Whitetail Institute. Might check out that LTD Lawn and Garden in King, I think its a Southern States affiliate, they may carry Whitetail Institute as well.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bettys Grocery outside of Walnut Cove may have some stuff but will know where to go locally in Stokes county.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns

What are you planting??? I use Southern States, when you put a deer or bass on a bag, it runs the price up...Unless you are planting something really hard to get go generic...

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bettys Grocery outside of Walnut Cove may have some stuff but will know where to go locally in Stokes county.

Yea. They have a bunch of name brands. I am hoping to buy the mill sack full of whitetail dreams at a little less than half the picture bag price.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What are you planting??? I use Southern States, when you put a deer or bass on a bag, it runs the price up...Unless you are planting something really hard to get go generic...

Clover and winter wheat one plot. No idea in the other 3. May put out corn in those other spots, for last minute hunts and inventory.