Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog kennels for traveling

Default dog kennels for traveling

so, wanting a different travel dog kennel,,,,,have a bunch of what I call "standard" petmate kennels,,,,look like this type,,,,

issue is for the size needed, they are too wide for my application - doable but a pain

looking narrower and while I'm at it, maybe a little tougher,,,,,,,

looking at the Kennebec kennels, the Dakota 283, and the Gunner kennels,,,,,,

Gunners look like the better kennel,,,,but pricy,,,,has a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty,,,,,

Dakota's look decent, but never seen one in person,,,,,one year warranty,,,,cheaper, and cheaper made,,,,,made in USA

Kennebec,,,,workable, about same price as Dakota,,,,made somewhere,,,,one year warranty,,,,,

any others out there I should look at?

Anyone use them Gunners? Worth it?

thanks
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,

Gunner's look great, but $$$$.

I bought a Ruff Tough. I'm not sure what is the best value, that's just what I ended up with after my search. So far it's working well.

If I had the extra cash right now I would get the Gunner. I would like the upgrade from the ones that I have. Which are just like the one you have pictured.

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

I'd love to have a gunner but too $$$$ for me at the moment. I have some buddies who have the ruff tough and really like them.
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

thanks folks

Tell 'em what size you want, they will make it. Be the last one you ever buy, you can thank me later.

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by nccatfisher View Post
    Tell 'em what size you want, they will make it. Be the last one you ever buy, you can thank me later.

you know, I had him make me one up for my CJ-8 back when I had it (mid 90s),,,,,,finest dog box I had,,,light weight, etc,,,,,when I go to get a new one for the back of the truck, I'll likely go back to him as the half wood/half metal one (with top storage mind you) monstrosity I have been using for the last 20 years is about on it's last legs, plus it weights 432 lbs,,,,,,,,or at least feels it when I'm offloading,,,,,,,,

the one I'm looking for now will get used for dog sleeping quarters when traveling, back seat of truck (yeap, dang crew cab), etc,,,,
    Last edited by woodmoose; 08-12-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nccatfisher View Post

I just sold one they built for me. Nothing wrong with it, just didn't use it like I thought I would. They built it exactly how I wanted it (storage as a bottom drawer). It was for sale for literally 3 minutes when I posted it on a retriever page on FB before some one bought it.
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

I have a two hole Diamond deluxe box that I will let go for the right pirce. It has top storage and all keyed alike. I went down in size in my truck and it doesn't fit anymore.

Six Pointer

So, what's the application? In a pickup cab or bed? Fly with?

I bought this Dakota 283 Kebbec http://www.cabelas.com/product/DAKOT...UM/2278255.uts last year for flying Gus to NoDak.

It was a good quality kennel, but I returned it for three reasons.

The back was warped in. This didn't hinder the usefulness of the kennel, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I expect it not to be bent inwards.

It didn't hold stickers. I was flying him under a plane, and the rules said I had to have live animal stickers, and food taped to the top, and the surface didn't allow that. My wife wanted vinyl decals with our contact info on the kennel, and they wouldn't stick either. It sounds petty but its a characteristic I needed for the application.

The door was unimpressive for what it was, no different than a Wal Mart kennel door.

None of this should take away from the fact that it was strong, solid, and looked good (from the front and side.)

I would also caution you against spending real money til you know how big Aggie will be.

My dog was one of the smaller in the litter. At 6 months growth charts said he'd top out at 49 lbs. Hah! He's 70 and skinny.

I know one guy that has a topper on his truck, and a shelf he puts the dog in toward the front half of the bed. He opens the sliding windows or opens the rear window depending on the weather. He has underneath the dogs for storage and the back half of the bed for other stuff, and can keep three dogs. He has loops to tie a lead to the board, but I've never seen him use it.