Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dog kennels for traveling

Quote Originally Posted by NC Quailhunter View Post
    I have a two hole Diamond deluxe box that I will let go for the right pirce. It has top storage and all keyed alike. I went down in size in my truck and it doesn't fit anymore.
    I doubt it would fit on his back seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    the one I'm looking for now will get used for dog sleeping quarters when traveling, back seat of truck (yeap, dang crew cab), etc,,,,

Spike

Ruff and Tough kennels are nice. Maybe a little cheaper than the Gunner.

Quote Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
    So, what's the application? In a pickup cab or bed? Fly with?

I bought this Dakota 283 Kebbec http://www.cabelas.com/product/DAKOT...UM/2278255.uts last year for flying Gus to NoDak.

It was a good quality kennel, but I returned it for three reasons.

The back was warped in. This didn't hinder the usefulness of the kennel, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I expect it not to be bent inwards.

It didn't hold stickers. I was flying him under a plane, and the rules said I had to have live animal stickers, and food taped to the top, and the surface didn't allow that. My wife wanted vinyl decals with our contact info on the kennel, and they wouldn't stick either. It sounds petty but its a characteristic I needed for the application.

The door was unimpressive for what it was, no different than a Wal Mart kennel door.

None of this should take away from the fact that it was strong, solid, and looked good (from the front and side.)

I would also caution you against spending real money til you know how big Aggie will be.

My dog was one of the smaller in the litter. At 6 months growth charts said he'd top out at 49 lbs. Hah! He's 70 and skinny.

I know one guy that has a topper on his truck, and a shelf he puts the dog in toward the front half of the bed. He opens the sliding windows or opens the rear window depending on the weather. He has underneath the dogs for storage and the back half of the bed for other stuff, and can keep three dogs. He has loops to tie a lead to the board, but I've never seen him use it.
    as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's for a dog quarters in a hotel and to put in the backseat of my truck when needed,,,,,,

thanks for feeback on the Dakota 283s

it's not just for Aggie,,,yes she may get some use in it, but it's also for my wife's house dog at times, and other mutts that need a ride.

issue is the ones I have that are larger are wider than they need to be and are a pain to put into the truck (have to get them "just so" to slide in),,,,the ones I listed are all 3-4 inches narrower than the ones I have,,,,for the same sized dogs,,,,,

but since you mentioned Aggie (which gives me an excuse to talk on her) she weighed 33.2 lbs at the vet,,,,,at 4 months and 2 weeks old,

Quote Originally Posted by Game On View Post
    Ruff and Tough kennels are nice. Maybe a little cheaper than the Gunner.
    yes, they are cheaper - seen good and bad reviews on them,,,,

I appreciate all the input,,,,now to decide,,,,or just stick with the ones I have,,,,
    Last edited by woodmoose; 08-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,

I should have gone back and read the part about the backs seat. I didn't catch that. I still like the gunner crates and that is the way I will be going when I get a few bucks together. good luck let us know which one you choose.

I have some cabelas points, a coupon, etc - may pull the trigger on one of those gunner crates -

still thinking on that nice diamond deluxe you have as well,,,beagles need a new ride!!
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,

Let me know how you like the gunner kennel. The diamond deluxe is waiting so let me know.

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    I have some cabelas points, a coupon, etc - may pull the trigger on one of those gunner crates -

still thinking on that nice diamond deluxe you have as well,,,beagles need a new ride!!
    It looks like a serious crate. Although, the Ruff Tuff's I like because you can join and stack a little easier.