Learn From My Mistakes

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I recently finished a new impoundment in Hyde county, for a variety of reasons I did not get it completely ready in time to plant conventional corn. put part in buckwheat and chufa which are both doing well. I did not want sorghum so I looked for a corn alternative and found CannaMaize a 65 day to maturity round up ready corn. seemed to be just what I was looking for. It would be mature in mid Sept and thoroughly dry by flooding time in mid nov. planted 7 acres of the stuff and it readily came up and looked good. While it was roundup ready it did not have the bug resistance the varieties of corn used by Hyde county farmers. A local farmer and I checked it yesterday and I saw 7 acres of great expense almost consumed by beale bugs and army worms. Had to break out the planter and quickly put in soybeans and millet.

CannaMaize is supposed to be great for waterfowl. however until I solve the bug problem it will not work where I planted it.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Fellow adject to my place planted NWTF conservation surplus corn last year. Bugs ate him completely out. I bit the bullet and planted a bug resistant corn this year, as did he. At $300 a bag, I didn't have any problems with bugs and I hear he hasn't either. I guess the lesson is that you can pay more for pease of mind or pay much less ( $40/bag) and hope for the best. Did that once and the army worms ate me to nothing.

Sorry for your lose but good info for those considering the alternatives.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Fellow adject to my place planted NWTF conservation surplus corn last year. Bugs ate him completely out. I bit the bullet and planted a bug resistant corn this year, as did he. At $300 a bag, I didn't have any problems with bugs and I hear he hasn't either. I guess the lesson is that you can pay more for pease of mind or pay much less ( $40/bag) and hope for the best. Did that once and the army worms ate me to nothing.

Sorry for your lose but good info for those considering the alternatives.

thanks for the response, unfortunately the Canadian corn was $225 per bag. I used the better corn in my other impoundment, planted at the right time and have the best crop in several years.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
We have the best crop we have had in years as well. The advice I always give people who want to plant corn and are starting out or looking for advice as they have had issues in the past is to do exactly what the farmer on your land or next door does and use the same seed as well. Even if it means planting a little early to when you would flood, I would rather try to keep critters out of my beautiful corn than have a bad crop from the get go. Even trying to delay planting till june can be detrimental at times as you can miss those timely rains in spring.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
We have the best crop we have had in years as well. The advice I always give people who want to plant corn and are starting out or looking for advice as they have had issues in the past is to do exactly what the farmer on your land or next door does and use the same seed as well. Even if it means planting a little early to when you would flood, I would rather try to keep critters out of my beautiful corn than have a bad crop from the get go. Even trying to delay planting till june can be detrimental at times as you can miss those timely rains in spring.

I absolutely agree, you have to plant an impoundment just like you are farming for a living. there are a lot of great looking impoundments in Hyde, hope the ducks come. I am not building another so all my stuff will be planted next year in early May.