Ice Maker

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Has anyone ever had problems with the ice maker in their freezer? Ours was fine when we moved in in January, the last few months though it had really slowed down on producing ice, and it hasn't made any at all in the last week or so. Anyone got any ideas on what could be wrong, and if there's a quick fix?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Water filter or corrosion built up in the line at the tap area or right at the discharge are the two suspect places. If it doesn't have a filter you can almost bet it has a screen in one of the fittings.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Ice Makers are the manufacturers way of getting the last laugh. We think they work and they don't. We pay good money for repairs that only temporarily fix the problem. In ONE refrigerator I have had (3) replaced over the past two (2) years averaging 225.00 each, labor and parts.
Ice makers are a joke........ on US.......

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you loosen the bolts, pull it out, unhook it, throw it in the trash, hook new one up, bolt back in place, make ice.

unless the filter is clogged, I can't help you.

If the freezer is a pull out on the bottom, make sure the door hasn't dropped and is closing properly. if the door isn't closing properly, it won't press the switch that allows the ice maker to kick on. That was $60 service call to learn that lesson.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Also when it was working, occasionally there would be little black specks in the ice, if that means anything to any of you. Not sure if it has any effect on what's going on or not

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
For the record, I know absolutely nothing about the stuff, but I once had one that somehow had ice build up around where the water came in. I unplugged it and let it thaw and it worked fine from then on. You might could check to see if you have any ice build up in strange places.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
If you determine that the ice maker is bad go to Lowe's and buy a new one for your refrigerator. I have replaced two of them in our current refrigerator. I have found trying to repair an ice maker isn't worth the time and effort, not for me anyway...Anyone can change out an ice maker IMO, no need to call a repairman unless you want a hefty bill plus the cost of the ice maker..

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A very common issue that I've not seen addressed here is buildup on your coil. Remove lower grate and look at the condenser assembly. Chances are it's loaded with dust etc. Clean as well as possible to remove buildup. Brush, vacuum, blow with air or whatever method you have to work with. If that's the problem, icemaker will resume it's job soon after...

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I was messing with it last night and it seems to be the water inlet valve on the fridge itself. No water is being moved into the ice maker, but if you manually fill it, it makes ice just fine

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just replaced the inlet valve on mine. It was cracked and was leaking on the floor. Go online and order one its way cheaper than the parts places. Check you lines going out to the ice maker and if it has water in the door. Mine ran right by the motor and were brittle and cracked. Just replace them to out past the motor.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I was messing with it last night and it seems to be the water inlet valve on the fridge itself. No water is being moved into the ice maker, but if you manually fill it, it makes ice just fine

Yep, I have had to replace that valve a couple times as well..

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns