Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody have a copy of Mike Seamster's book on NC wild turkey history?

^ Thanks, I'll do the same. Seems something that long and detailed should have been printed, if only in paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
    ^ Thanks, I'll do the same. Seems something that long and detailed should have been printed, if only in paperback.
    it was printed - I have seen pictures of the book - just haven't laid my hands on one

when the truth hurts,,,,,,

The search is on.

Is there anywhere in NC where the forest is original? I don't think so except possibly part of dismal swamp? I think everything had been cut at one point by the early settlers.

Joyce Kilmer forest has some of the best original virgin forests I do believe
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    I have a question for anyone.

In the early part of this book it is said that the population was decimated by loss of habitat and uncontrolled hunting early in the early 1900s.
    I cannot fathom a lack of habitat in the early 1900s? In NC.

what am i missing?

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...s-ago-its-true

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...nt?oid=1848219

http://www.upworthy.com/america-has-...-the-woods-yet
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    all I can say is WOW,,,,,,

you asked a question - I provided an answer - you didn't like that answer and said I was wrong - I provided additional info and asked if I am wrong, what's your input on it,,,,somebody else provided additional info that happened to support my input and you blow up,,,,

if that's arguing, then I'll just have to shake my head,,,,I considered it a discussion,,,,,,,

but you got it,,,,,,thanks
    i wasnt even talkking directly to you or your infpormation merely stating a possible misconception on my part.

with only two millon people in the state in 1900 and almost 11 million today it is hard to conceive more trees here today.

in my half century i have only seen woods destroyed for big ag and urban sprawl.

a quick google search yield conflicting "facts" on teh amount of trees now versus "then"

and there is a another school of thought on how the lack of forest was or was not a factor.

but at some point the effort isnt worth it. the level reached here talking about turkey populations is absurd.

beneath us all.

Photographic evidence exists. I've told you what to look for to see it. You seem to think it's a personal attack on you, when it's just fact pointing. I can't tell you anything about the turkey populations then vs now. I won't comment on what I don't know about, so trees and forestation will be the extent. Carry on.