Wilmington/ Lower Cape Fear guides?

bowtoot

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Does anyone know of any guides in the Wilmington/Lower Cape Fear area?

Is the beginning of the season Oct.5 , too early to go in that area for a good trip?

Thanks.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Personally I wouldst go that early and maybe not even at all. I live there and travel other places in the state to hunt. Yes you can find some OK diver hunting in the river and plenty of wood ducks in the swamps but in general not a hot spot by any means compared to 2 hours north.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Personally I wouldst go that early and maybe not even at all. I live there and travel other places in the state to hunt. Yes you can find some OK diver hunting in the river and plenty of wood ducks in the swamps but in general not a hot spot by any means compared to 2 hours north.

I'll second this opinion. The woodies for the most part can be found in the rivers, canals and swamps which feed the Cape Fear and you have to be part weasel to sneak up on most of them. You can get some decoy shooting for a very brief time in the morning but after that you have to morph into a weasel. On the rare occasion some big ducks come down during really bad weather in the Chesapeake and can be found in the blackwater rivers but it's a crap shoot.

bowtoot

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the input. We are going down early for Wilmington fire college weekend and wondered if it would be worth it. Probably better to go fishing.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Thanks for the input. We are going down early for Wilmington fire college weekend and wondered if it would be worth it. Probably better to go fishing.

much better fishing then. waste of time on ducks. Jot Owens is a good fishing guide for the area.