Realtree grades NC deer hunting

RJ1

Ten Pointer
He's right, but they make a lot more money off of those pine trees than they do off of antlers.....

Basically that is what the paper company representative told him"They are in the Pine Tree Growing Business Not the Deer Raising Business". My point being you are not going to consistently raise trophy bucks in pine plantations not that it doesn't happen now and then without a little help and most clubs are not going to spend the money for food plots when the paper company can destroy it by spraying or logging at anytime.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Here's the deal with "trophy hunting" in NC. The majority, not all, but the majority of "trophy hunters" who have hunted and lived in NC their whole life, cannot and will not let a 130" 8 or 9 pt go. Why? Because that's a dam good deer and most talk a good game but when that 130-140" deer walks out, he's gonna get a bullet. Because most hunters don't realize how nice that that deer actually is and all they know is he wasn't a year and a half old 3 pt and it's one of the biggest deer they've ever seen. Trophy hunting and qdm is the in thing to do these days. Guys sit around watching tv and watching hunters pass on a buck cause "he needs another year", but the majority of hunters have never been put in a position to make that call.

Yes, I know there's some on here that are fully capable of letting big deer walk, but this forum don't represent the majority.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
^ I was fortunate enough to have some conversations with a couple of our new neighbors before we even put our bid in on our land. The ones we spoke with talked to us like we were old friends, and we've never met these folks before. Each chat lasted over an hour. One question thrown in, and I knew I was in the right place for deer. "Do you hunt?" To which I replied "yes." His response was "We like to let the grow around here." Then he went on about a nice 8 that was around the area for a few years that had a couple more in him, that poachers had taken last season. I could see the disappointment in his eyes that the buck wasn't allowed to pass his genes on for another year or two.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Here's the deal with "trophy hunting" in NC. The majority, not all, but the majority of "trophy hunters" who have hunted and lived in NC their whole life, cannot and will not let a 130" 8 or 9 pt go. Why? Because that's a dam good deer and most talk a good game but when that 130-140" deer walks out, he's gonna get a bullet. Because most hunters don't realize how nice that that deer actually is and all they know is he wasn't a year and a half old 3 pt and it's one of the biggest deer they've ever seen. Trophy hunting and qdm is the in thing to do these days. Guys sit around watching tv and watching hunters pass on a buck cause "he needs another year", but the majority of hunters have never been put in a position to make that call.

Yes, I know there's some on here that are fully capable of letting big deer walk, but this forum don't represent the majority.

they could let them go if they were routine. never gonna happen though for the very reason you say.