Realtree grades NC deer hunting

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
North Carolina has not historically produced a lot of trophy bucks and there really is no particular management in place to bolster trophy buck harvest, thus the grade of C. However, some good news may be stirring for the future. Jonathan Shaw of the NCWRC says they are currently surveying hunters in the state to determine what they want in terms of deer management and what sacrifices they would be willing to make to achieve their goals.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I didn't know it was a graded course!!! Thought it was a pass/fail elective,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Not really.

But some folks would like to see more "trophy" management for NC.

Your link is for the 2016 grade I posted. This is 2017.

I wonder if folks are going find surprise "trophy" management proposals at the 2018 public hearings?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you can really get a taste of how bad it is in NC when the outfitters at the DDC have more heads of substance in a tiny booth than the whole show has displayed of scored NC deer.

But hey we can blast them with rifles for three months. :)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
you can really get a taste of how bad it is in NC when the outfitters at the DDC have more heads of substance in a tiny booth than the whole show has displayed of scored NC deer.

But hey we can blast them with rifles for three months. :)

Will the WRC change the regulations to cater to outfitters and out of state "trophy" hunters?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Your link is for the 2016 grade I posted. This is 2017.

I posted two links,,,yes one was 2016 but that doesn't change the fact that you put a lot of store in realtree's thoughts,,,,,,,,,or do you?

becuase the second link you advocated folks to boycott realtree,,,,,,,,,,,,and then you go posting more of their stuff,,,,,,,

just trying to get your POV straight,,,,,,,,,think I got it,,,,,,,,boycott realtree except when it comes to grades!!!

fats

Four Pointer
If the 2018 proposed changes go in place, NC is catering to the outfitter and the out of state hunter. If the number are down as much as they say they are, why haven't they stopped legal baiting, increased the cost of Non resident licenses, and lowered the limit for non resident hunters.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
I call BS. NY is a "B". Virginia & "A"? Really!!! Also, look at the data. Looks off to me. IA only has an estimated herd of 350,000.? Virginia only sold 75,000 tags last year???

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just pointing out Realtree is pushing a "trophy" management agenda
No, they are pushing whatever is popular to sell the most of our stuff agenda. When their number crunchers ever tell them another group is buying more of their product you will see their report card change.

You really can't see that?

fats

Four Pointer
Virginia is a bargain for the money! You can kill a Kentucky sized buck an hour from Raleigh!

chef

Ten Pointer
good. the higher the grade, the more popular it gets. the popular it gets, the more expensive and less accessible it gets. i will take a 115 inch buck in my freezer for $55 and no units or draws all day.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
good. the higher the grade, the more popular it gets. the popular it gets, the more expensive and less accessible it gets. i will take a 115 inch buck in my freezer for $55 and no units or draws all day.

What he said....

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Who cares what Realtree thinks. I sure won't lose no sleep over them giving us a "C" rating.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

This all day long and twice on Saturday. I don't want the herd managed for trophies whatsoever. I want it managed for numbers, and opportunity and overall health.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I wish they would have failed our butts. Maybe all the out of towners and out of staters would stay the heck home then. Commercialization of deer hunting and outfitters are ruining the hunting and hunting opportunities for local people.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Will the WRC change the regulations to cater to outfitters and out of state "trophy" hunters?

Trophy management is for the disenfranchised NC hunters. No out of state trophy deer hunters come to NC. There are some out of state hunters, but a trophy hunter got turned around if he landed here.