Waterfowl Identification course

ridenismo

Six Pointer
So I've taken a few weeks off this year to chase ducks up north near where i grew up in the finger lake region of NY. Ive always managed to do quite well doing DIY public hunts but would like to get onto some of the wildlife management areas(call the day before at 9am to draw for the following day), most importantly montezuma being 45 minutes from "home".

The thing is NY requires a waterfowl identification course to access these WMAs, and there no such thing offered south of the mason dixon line short of enrolling in a college ornithology course. The only one in NC last year was cancelled due to hurricane Matthew and there none set so far for this year. Any of you fellow duck crazy fellas have any recommendations short of taking a VERY short and boring weekend trip?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I could be mistaken and a call to the wildlife guy in NY could clarify but I think you can take the test and send it in. They typically have an out of state option.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Wildlifer I have two cousins that i hunt with on a yearly basis that are ECOs in NY, its strictly an in person seminar (5 hrs) with a 1 hour proctored video exam at the end, thats not an option. Im trying to get the ball rolling with the head of WRC seminars, aka Mr Deet, and Justin Aycock from Ducks Unlimited to see what my options are locally. Im also waiting for a response from NYS DEC for alternative certification options.

With a little luck i may be able to push through a one time seminar for anyone interested in a similar certification to hunt the 4/5 northern states that require similar courses. Ny is by far the most demanding.

P.S. Better late than never but my boats almost ready!!!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Dang that's serious. I kinda wish more states did something similar. I obviously wasn't familiar with NY just of other states with out of state prervisions. Good luck! I wonder if they would take college credits if I could prove it had duck ID in it.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
yes, they dont play, to the extend the game wardens have to take the class with the general public to get the certification! Collegiate level ornithology classes do indeed apply towards it, assuming you can prove you passed :p

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Man, if I had had rhe waterfowl ID course I would not have gotten in so much trouble for shooting the commorant because I thought it was a black duck.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
hahaha if only that werent the truth for some of the yahoos out there these days!

Ive talked to the director of hunter ED in NY and not only was he less than helpful but was seemingly protective of what information was included in the course. Being a free program offered to the public i was hoping hed be willing to share some details in hopes of leading the way for other similar programs, he was anything but and mentioned things like copyright issues etc. i just want to be able to hunt with the rest of my friends and family when we head up there, they all want to and WILL hunt those spots a day or two regardless of me having it or not.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Gotta love the bureaucratic BS......deal with it constantly at my job. I've got a friend with a house on Cayuga. Always wanted to go up there and hunt.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Well i got the problem figured out guys! Had to deal with the federalies but the out of state test is back availible to hunters in NYS. The USFWS brought back a test from approx 15 years ago and made it availible for out of state hunters via mail. You have to call the lodge at the monetezuma wildlife center, and then ask about the out of state hunter waterfowl identification course now. You will be mailed an ID booklet containing the vast majority of all the birds we will see in the US, a couple of information pamphlets, and a 3 page test. The test is a lot more involved than most would expect, and asks about colors and characteristics of the birds using scientific terminology.

I basically got lucky and talked to a woman in the office that had worked there for 20+ years, she remembered an old out of state test but it was no longer listed, nor in any semi recent paperwork. She went into her files, found a copy of the test and then got it approved to still be offered and valid even though it was outdated. Two days later my packet was in the mail. Mailed it back today in the included envelope.

rageslinger

Four Pointer
I know someone that hunted NY last year and he said no test was needed. I probably need to look into it more because I'm pulling boat up there week after Christmas.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
If you don't already have a copy, spend $10 and get "the Lemaster Method" of duck ID. Good for studying for ID tests, but also good to have in the blind bag.

That book has saved us many times hunting up north during the earliest part of season. Easy to tell birds species by Nov-Jan. But during the end of Sept brown duck season the ID can be tough.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've seen veteran waterfowl biologists mistake ducks on the wing. And one college professor who taught wildlife management holler "teal" and shoot into a flock of shorebirds. :rolleyes:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
No better way to learn than to get out there. I have hunted ducks my whole life and still make mistakes. safest bet is if you arent sure, dont shoot. Then if it is close you can id and will know better for next time.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
The LeMaster book is great. Anyone that acts like they know everything and know every bird they see I am usually wary of, b/c they don't. No one is perfect.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Couldnt agree more, patience on the trigger has kept me out of trouble in terms of daily bag limits so far.

And general hunting in the state of NY does not require a waterfowl ID course, however a few of the WMA's in upstate NY that are open to the public require it. These spots tend to hold ducks, so its a good idea to have the ID course. If your dragging a boat up there after christmas, there is a 99% chance you wont need the ID certificate because all the small water and marshes will be locked up. Cant say it wouldnt be awesome to see some fellow NC plates at the ramp on one of the lakes. ill be up there the 19th-3rd giving them hell when and where i can!

bpitcher

Button Buck
Don't have any help on the ID course. Good luck though!

I have family up around Auburn and used to hunt that area quite a bit. Pretty good hunting. Lots of greenheads and geese if you know where to look, even late in the season.

surffishn

Spike
Man, if I had had rhe waterfowl ID course I would not have gotten in so much trouble for shooting the commorant because I thought it was a black duck.

I sure hope this is a joke. Anyone that takes a commerant for a duck is blind or stupid. I'm taking it as sarcasm. Lol