Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Bear Meat

Six Pointer

Default Mountain Bear Meat

Planning a bear hunt in the MTNs this year and wondering about the meat. I've had some from eastern bears and it was fine, mostly ground up burger. From stuff I read, mostly Rinella, bears fat tastes like what they're eating. This is why some people don't eat bears that eat coastal salmon. How do NC mtn bears generally taste?

You learn to overlook the tofu taste of hippies, but the pepper spray really helps.

awesome,,,,,,,,,,,,

belly laugh for the day is complete,,,,,,,,
    "Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land... you cannot love game and hate predators; you cannot conserve the waters and waste the ranges; you cannot build the forest and mine the farm. The land is one organism. Its parts, like our own parts, compete with each other and co-operate with each other. The competitions are as much a part of the inner workings as the co-operations. You can regulate them—cautiously—but not abolish them."

Aldo Leopold Journal entry

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Larry View Post
    Planning a bear hunt in the MTNs this year and wondering about the meat. I've had some from eastern bears and it was fine, mostly ground up burger. From stuff I read, mostly Rinella, bears fat tastes like what they're eating. This is why some people don't eat bears that eat coastal salmon. How do NC mtn bears generally taste?
    what do Mountain area bears eat? Acorns, hickory nuts, beech nuts, corn, grass, etc,,,,,throw in a chicken or hog once in a while,,,,,probably about the same (minus gall berries) as coastal bears?

I do know they aren't eating coastal salmon

kill one, process properly, and I bet he eats just as good as an eastern NC bear,,,,,,,

to me, a lot of the "bear meat ain't fitting" to eat comments are societal,,,,for example, the bear I killed in the mountains of central British Columbia tasted great,,,but the locals looked at me like I was insane,,,,,,could be a hold over from many of the native North Americans who had a spiritual kinship with bears and thus refrained from chowing on them,,,or it could be that once you skin one it looks a LOT like a WWE wrestler named Ivan,,,,don't know,,,,,,

but I do know you never really know what an individual animal will taste like till you take that first bite,,,,,,
    Last edited by woodmoose; 08-09-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    "Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land... you cannot love game and hate predators; you cannot conserve the waters and waste the ranges; you cannot build the forest and mine the farm. The land is one organism. Its parts, like our own parts, compete with each other and co-operate with each other. The competitions are as much a part of the inner workings as the co-operations. You can regulate them—cautiously—but not abolish them."

Six Pointer

Now that you bring it up they do look like Ivan,,, LOL,I had a man tell me once in Hyde County that one look like his Cousin John and then I meet Cousin John and he was right.I've eaten bear from the Mountains,the Coast,four other states and Canada all taste good to me.Processed right best thing I have ever ate.Now I am always there when it is gutted and skinned for two reasons there is a certain organ when it is gutted that I take and destroy right then,I'm not going to jail over some stupid thing someone else does,and not everyone knows how to properly gut and skin a bear.I also process my own meat.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ1 View Post
    Now that you bring it up they do look like Ivan,,, LOL,I had a man tell me once in Hyde County that one look like his Cousin John and then I meet Cousin John and he was right.I've eaten bear from the Mountains,the Coast,four other states and Canada all taste good to me.Processed right best thing I have ever ate.Now I am always there when it is gutted and skinned for two reasons there is a certain organ when it is gutted that I take and destroy right then,I'm not going to jail over some stupid thing someone else does,and not everyone knows how to properly gut and skin a bear.I also process my own meat.
    100% agree on the organ disposal - that's a serious item, and self processing - I process my own game so I know how it's been handled,,,and I do like bear

Probably like meth, weed and shine.

hahaha... I'll bet it will taste like corn and expired hostess cakes considering how a lot of boy "do it" where I grew up...

Quote Originally Posted by appmtnhntr View Post
    hahaha... I'll bet it will taste like corn and expired hostess cakes considering how a lot of boy "do it" where I grew up...
    no no no,,,that truck load of week old items from the bread store are for my goats,,,,,,,,,SERIOUSLY,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    no no no,,,that truck load of week old items from the bread store are for my goats,,,,,,,,,SERIOUSLY,,,,,,,
    Sunday Ritual starting in August...

Church, Momma's for Lunch, Skin Cakes in buddy's basement till dark...

Haha, good thing is them boys don't litter plastic wrappers!!! Straight Twinkies and Hoho's straight into a tater sack...