NC Waterfowl Impoundment Guides

straightline

Ten Pointer
almost a thousand a bird if you shoot limits every day. Ill say with my 5 dollar permit hunt and public land.

Hunts are 2 days but still. For the record I'm not a member but a good friend buys a few memberships and he's generous enough to take me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus

Six Pointer
I was semi-joking,,,,,,i too want to pick my days,,,,,,

the anti-sunday duck hunting just cracks me up,,,,,,so many other states (with good and bad duck numbers) do just fine with Sunday hunting but NC will be trashed if it happens,,,,,,,,not because its a tradition mind you (which is the real reason for folks opposition) but because the ducks can't handle it,,,,,,,

gimme a break,,,,,,,,

edit to get back on topic,,,,,,,

I don't know any other impoundment guides than whats already been addressed,,,,,,most NC duck guides won't return phone calls anyhow unless they know you,,,,,,they are popular,,,,,

Yeah it's all about tradition-thats why all of us anti Sunday duck hunters shoot double barrels, refuse to use spinners or gps and wear brown cotton shooting coats.
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with those guys being experienced, avid fowlers who understand how overpressure hurts duck HUNTING (no one said populations). Nah that couldn't be it. The 'after deer season' crowd somehow knows it's just "tradition".
Which states in the Atlantic Flyway are doing so well with Sunday fowling? Every single one of them trails NCs measly 10 birds per hunter annual avg harvest.
If you're gonna compare NC to states in other flyways that have 1/3 the hunters and kill double our avg, you would have to logically conclude that pressure has an effect on harvest.
You're entitled to your own opinion- you ain't entitled to misrepresent others based on mind reading.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
1/3 the hunters? I haven't been or seen anywhere on the Mississippi flyway that has 1/3 the duck hunters. I'd say nc has 1/3 the hunters of those states. The big difference is they have ducks, they have true migrations and reverse migrations and the number one biggest factor? They know how to call and kill ducks whether it be a Tuesday or a Sunday. Yes, just like anywhere, they have jack legs that don't have a clue, but when you got birds, it don't matter.

Sunday hunting is not the end of duck hunting in NC. So what if it is? Maybe those who can't cut it will quit and sell out. Then the diehards can have it all to themselves. Haha. Is your duck strap half full or is half empty???

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was semi-joking,,,,,,i too want to pick my days,,,,,,

the anti-sunday duck hunting just cracks me up,,,,,,so many other states (with good and bad duck numbers) do just fine with Sunday hunting but NC will be trashed if it happens,,,,,,,,not because its a tradition mind you (which is the real reason for folks opposition) but because the ducks can't handle it,,,,,,,

gimme a break,,,,,,,,

edit to get back on topic,,,,,,,

I don't know any other impoundment guides than whats already been addressed,,,,,,most NC duck guides won't return phone calls anyhow unless they know you,,,,,,they are popular,,,,,

Yeah it's all about tradition-thats why all of us anti Sunday duck hunters shoot double barrels, refuse to use spinners or gps and wear brown cotton shooting coats.
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with those guys being experienced, avid fowlers who understand how overpressure hurts duck HUNTING (no one said populations). Nah that couldn't be it. The 'after deer season' crowd somehow knows it's just "tradition".
Which states in the Atlantic Flyway are doing so well with Sunday fowling? Every single one of them trails NCs measly 10 birds per hunter annual avg harvest.
If you're gonna compare NC to states in other flyways that have 1/3 the hunters and kill double our avg, you would have to logically conclude that pressure has an effect on harvest.
You're entitled to your own opinion- you ain't entitled to misrepresent others based on mind reading.

dang Gus - strike a nerve did I? I recommend working on your reading comprehension, as you sure blew up about things I didn't say,,,,,

let's see, where to begin? Well, first, I am glad you like all the traditional aspects of duck hunting,,,,,I to enjoy it,,,,(but I also expect/know you were being "sarcastic"),,

,The 'after deer season' crowd somehow knows it's just "tradition".

wouldn't know - I don't hang out with the "after deer season crowd",,,,,maybe you do

avid fowlers who understand how overpressure hurts duck HUNTING (no one said populations).

yeap, no one mentioned population (including me) until you did - arguing with yourself are you? I did say "good and bad duck numbers" but that was as a descriptor of states, not as to what Sunday hunting would mean for NC,,

Which states in the Atlantic Flyway are doing so well with Sunday fowling?

did I say Atlantic Flyway? Didn't think so,,,,,,

that pressure has an effect on harvest..

you are correct,,,,applies everwhere,,,,why you must SCOUT and protect your own spots,,,,,,

well thank you Sir,,,I appreciate you allowing me an opinion,,,,and no where did I "misrepresent others" and sure don't partake in "mind reading" (I'd be a rich man if I did),,,,my OPINION, as stated in my post, is that it's about tradition when you scrape away all the excuses,,,,,obviousy your OPINION is differnet,,,and glad for it (world would be boring if we all had the same thoghts/opinions)

this has been fun, but again - to get back on topic - chevync - did you find a guide?

Last edited:

Gus

Six Pointer
1/3 the hunters? I haven't been or seen anywhere on the Mississippi flyway that has 1/3 the duck hunters. I'd say nc has 1/3 the hunters of those states. The big difference is they have ducks, they have true migrations and reverse migrations and the number one biggest factor? They know how to call and kill ducks whether it be a Tuesday or a Sunday. Yes, just like anywhere, they have jack legs that don't have a clue, but when you got birds, it don't matter.

Sunday hunting is not the end of duck hunting in NC. So what if it is? Maybe those who can't cut it will quit and sell out. Then the diehards can have it all to themselves. Haha. Is your duck strap half full or is half empty???

The state your profile says you live in, Tn, had a whopping 7,900 active waterfowlers in 2015, according to Flyway USA. NC had 31,700 active waterfowlers in 2015.
But, to be fair, the miss. flyway does have a little over twice the active fowlers the atlantic flyway does. Of course the miss flyway is nearly 3 times the size, has many times the amount of huntable area, and it's hunter numbers are highly inflated by states like Ark and La who draw thousands of hunters from outside the flyway and only hunt there a few days per year.

My Reelfoot buddies learned real quick that their style of calling sends ducks heading out of the county oer here. They also never fail to comment on " how hard y'all got to work to kill a dang duck".

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've actually never really had a dog in this "fight" (not a real fight, but you get my point) as I can hunt most anything on Sundays in NC (Ft Bragg, etc) and can slip down to SC if I want to duck hunt on Sundays,,,,,

anyhow,,,,how about that impoundment chevy>??

Gus

Six Pointer
Woodmoose I think most folks get a 'struck nerve' when someone that doesn't know them from Adam implies they are lying to cover an agenda. Spin it however you want but that's what you did.

Did I SAY you hung out with the " after deer season" crowd?
Didn't think so. Cool how that works huh? I can clearly imply that but then claim I didnt actually say that.

NC, where we live and hunt, is in the Atlantic Flyway so it would seem logical to compare it to other states in the Atlantic Flyway. If you want to compare apples to oranges carry on.

You're right, we have differing opinions, and that's fine. I respect your opinion just as you state it. But that's a two way street...

Last edited:

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
dang Gus - strike a nerve did I? I recommend working on your reading comprehension, as you sure blew up about things I didn't say,,,,,

let's see, where to begin? Well, first, I am glad you like all the traditional aspects of duck hunting,,,,,I to enjoy it,,,,(but I also expect/know you were being "sarcastic"),,

wouldn't know - I don't hang out with the "after deer season crowd",,,,,maybe you do

yeap, no one mentioned population (including me) until you did - arguing with yourself are you? I did say "good and bad duck numbers" but that was as a descriptor of states, not as to what Sunday hunting would mean for NC,,

did I say Atlantic Flyway? Didn't think so,,,,,,

you are correct,,,,applies everwhere,,,,why you must SCOUT and protect your own spots,,,,,,

well thank you Sir,,,I appreciate you allowing me an opinion,,,,and no where did I "misrepresent others" and sure don't partake in "mind reading" (I'd be a rich man if I did),,,,my OPINION, as stated in my post, is that it's about tradition when you scrape away all the excuses,,,,,obviousy your OPINION is differnet,,,and glad for it (world would be boring if we all had the same thoghts/opinions)

this has been fun, but again - to get back on topic - chevync - did you find a guide?

Nope, still working on it. I guess I need to start heading west instead of dinking and dunking here in NC. We always diver hunt, just trying to change things up this year.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The state your profile says you live in, Tn, had a whopping 7,900 active waterfowlers in 2015, according to Flyway USA. NC had 31,700 active waterfowlers in 2015.
But, to be fair, the miss. flyway does have a little over twice the active fowlers the atlantic flyway does. Of course the miss flyway is nearly 3 times the size, has many times the amount of huntable area, and it's hunter numbers are highly inflated by states like Ark and La who draw thousands of hunters from outside the flyway and only hunt there a few days per year.

My Reelfoot buddies learned real quick that their style of calling sends ducks heading out of the county oer here. They also never fail to comment on " how hard y'all got to work to kill a dang duck".

Youre correct. I do live in Tennessee but spent the first 30 years hunting in NC......a lot. We hunted everywhere, public, private outfitter. Now I just go out to west TN a couple times a year. Nice to be somewhere where there are actually ducks.
No one I know cares about Sunday hunting. I guess that's why we were always as successful as we were. If we found ducks on private land, we left'em alone and let'em build. If we found ducks on public land, we shot the he!! out of'em the following morning. We scouted a lot.
And here's the number one thing. If we couldn't find ducks on public land or private land..........we simply did not go. We found something else to do. It's that simple. We'd go shoot crows or rabbit hunt or spend time with our families!! I honestly believe most duck hunters nowadays are more concerned with everyone else seeing that they went duck hunting, than they are killing a duck. It ain't the end of the world. I guess that's why Sunday hunting don't really bother me. It's just a duck the same way it's just a deer.

Last edited:

Gus

Six Pointer
Youre correct. I do live in Tennessee but spent the first 30 years hunting in NC......a lot. We hunted everywhere, public, private outfitter. Now I just go out to west TN a couple times a year. Nice to be somewhere where there are actually ducks.
No one I know cares about Sunday hunting. I guess that's why we were always as successful as we were. If we found ducks on private land, we left'em alone and let'em build. If we found ducks on public land, we shot the he!! out of'em the following morning. We scouted a lot.
And here's the number one thing. If we couldn't find ducks on public land or private land..........we simply did not go. We found something else to do. It's that simple. We'd go shoot crows or rabbit hunt or spend time with our families!! I honestly believe most duck hunters nowadays are more concerned with everyone else seeing that they went duck hunting, than they are killing a duck. It ain't the end of the world. I guess that's why Sunday hunting don't really bother me. It's just a duck the same way it's just a deer.

Not much there I disagree with. I'll adjust and be OK.
But, you know, in the last five yrs I've consistently watched ducks increasingly scared to lite with other live ducks out in the open sound. Circle a raft 5 times, lite 80 yds away and do a careful swim in. Pretty much everyone agrees pressure is a factor to some degree. In my opinion, ducks here are already over pressured. It comes down to do you add pressure to an already overpressured resource for the purpose of providing more opportunity to the folks harvesting the resource? There are valid opinions on both sides.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Woodmoose I think most folks get a 'struck nerve' when someone that doesn't know them from Adam implies they are lying to cover an agenda. Spin it however you want but that's what you did.

Did I SAY you hung out with the " after deer season" crowd?
Didn't think so. Cool how that works huh? I can clearly imply that but then claim I didnt actually say that.

NC, where we live and hunt, is in the Atlantic Flyway so it would seem logical to compare it to other states in the Atlantic Flyway. If you want to compare apples to oranges carry on.

You're right, we have differing opinions, and that's fine. I respect your opinion just as you state it. But that's a two way street...

Gus - never intended to impugn your or anyone elses integrity or call anyone a liar,,,shame you read that from my feeble post,,,,I was more refering to underlying (call it subconcious) reasons,,,,but fair enough - I upset you and did not intend to - so I regret that

I'll bow out, as this wasn't even a thread on Sundays, others brought it up, but I also participated. As I said, don't really have a dog in NC's vestiges of Blue Laws,,,,thouught they were silly when I came here in 1980 and still do,,,,but that's me - I also developed other options as I don't let things like that get in the way of a good duck hunt.

Good luck to those folks who want to keep Ducks safe on Sundays,,,,

,,,, There are valid opinions on both sides.

agreed

now to get back on topic

Nope, still working on it. I guess I need to start heading west instead of dinking and dunking here in NC. We always diver hunt, just trying to change things up this year.

I've had some fun diver hunts,,,,hunted some impoundments down at the coast,,,but except for some select options I've moved to other duck options,,,,,have a surprising good time just south of me,,,,,but where I am at in NC is not for the duck hunter of faint heart when it comes to PRESSURE!!

West is an option,,,,,but there are others as well,,,,depends on what you want to get out of your duck hunts

To me, life (and the seasons) are too short to waste on boring hunts,,,,unfortunately I don't have the (current) luxury of living in a good (or even decent) duck area,,,so I travel some,,,north, south, east and west,,,to duck areas of yore, and some (relatively) undiscovered gems (so far),,,,,

good luck Sir

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Not much there I disagree with. I'll adjust and be OK.
But, you know, in the last five yrs I've consistently watched ducks increasingly scared to lite with other live ducks out in the open sound. Circle a raft 5 times, lite 80 yds away and do a careful swim in. Pretty much everyone agrees pressure is a factor to some degree. In my opinion, ducks here are already over pressured. It comes down to do you add pressure to an already overpressured resource for the purpose of providing more opportunity to the folks harvesting the resource? There are valid opinions on both sides.

Understood. It's something wherever you go. In west TN, its complaining about refuges. Guys constantly complaining about so and so refuge is holding xx000 birds or so and so landowner had 50,000 mallards on his place and he never hunts it. But the thing is, its the same people complaining year after year all the while, other guys go about killing big numbers year after year on public ground. Haha

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Understood. It's something wherever you go. In west TN, its complaining about refuges. Guys constantly complaining about so and so refuge is holding xx000 birds or so and so landowner had 50,000 mallards on his place and he never hunts it. But the thing is, its the same people complaining year after year all the while, other guys go about killing big numbers year after year on public ground. Haha

That's everything hunting and fishing, isn't it?

If it isn't the locals being turds, its the refuges, if it isn't the commercial fishermen ruining it, its the seasons that are screwed up, if it isn't the yankees paying to play and pricing someone else out of their hunt, its the WRC mismanaging the resource. I have seen that kind of blame tossed around for literally everything from crappie to cobia, from Deer to Ducks. Meanwhile other guys go out and get it done no matter what.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
That's everything hunting and fishing, isn't it?

If it isn't the locals being turds, its the refuges, if it isn't the commercial fishermen ruining it, its the seasons that are screwed up, if it isn't the yankees paying to play and pricing someone else out of their hunt, its the WRC mismanaging the resource. I have seen that kind of blame tossed around for literally everything from crappie to cobia, from Deer to Ducks. Meanwhile other guys go out and get it done no matter what.

I believe there is some truth on both sides. You cannot consistently kill big bucks where there are none. however if you want it bad enough you can get a private place where they exist; takes a lot of time, energy, resources and money. Not everyone, especially young guys just starting a family have the time and money. there were some guys who consistently killed nice bucks by shooting them from the road on my farms. However, their families have not seen them for a while and are still wondering why they don't write.

No matter how good a caller you are and how good a shot you are you cannot kill ducks if you do not have access to a place they want to go in the LST of daylight. Finding and getting access to those spots takes time, energy resources, sometimes luck or money.

regarding fish, you obviously do not live near the coast and fish in Pamlico sound. My friends and I usually get it done on trout, flounder and reds. However it is impossible when you get on the water right at light and commercial fishermen have gill net stretched on every bank you usually fish. We fish almost every day the wind is right. I am limited to 4 fish over 15 inches and the netters basically have no limit. for the past three weeks they have dominated many of the banks, bays and tributaries in Hyde. No other state allows it.
where I usually catch a limit we don't get a strike. I guess I could go to Louisiana but that is not very practical. If you are so good as to "get it done no matter what" I would appreciate some advice.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I believe there is some truth on both sides. You cannot consistently kill big bucks where there are none. however if you want it bad enough you can get a private place where they exist; takes a lot of time, energy, resources and money. Not everyone, especially young guys just starting a family have the time and money. there were some guys who consistently killed nice bucks by shooting them from the road on my farms. However, their families have not seen them for a while and are still wondering why they don't write.

No matter how good a caller you are and how good a shot you are you cannot kill ducks if you do not have access to a place they want to go in the LST of daylight. Finding and getting access to those spots takes time, energy resources, sometimes luck or money.

regarding fish, you obviously do not live near the coast and fish in Pamlico sound. My friends and I usually get it done on trout, flounder and reds. However it is impossible when you get on the water right at light and commercial fishermen have gill net stretched on every bank you usually fish. We fish almost every day the wind is right. I am limited to 4 fish over 15 inches and the netters basically have no limit. for the past three weeks they have dominated many of the banks, bays and tributaries in Hyde. No other state allows it.
where I usually catch a limit we don't get a strike. I guess I could go to Louisiana but that is not very practical. If you are so good as to "get it done no matter what" I would appreciate some advice.
I've never claimed to be one of those guys. But I know a guy that routinely shoots a nice buck on Game Lands every year; not Iowa level deer, but nice mature ones all the same. I think he walks much further, more quietly, leaving earlier in the morning, and takes many more hikes in the off season. I've never learned not to get turned around in the woods at night, and can't move without falling over like he can. Honestly, I get turned around walking to my treestand 3/4 miles away from my car in the dark early morning.

When I lived in Minnesota, I duck hunted a lot more, I had two friends that seemed to get "on the ex" a lot more for ducks and geese. I would burn twice the gas, spend twice the time scouting and knocking on doors, they just had a better idea about where to be and when to be there than I did, maybe knew better what to look for or how to use a weather report? These guys didn't have a better boat or access, that's for sure.

Despite the Ojibwe netting the lake to oblivion, there are guys that can go out and catch Walleye after Walleye on Lake Mille Lacs right now.

I can go knock around Wilmington and might catch a few fish here and there. My wife's Uncle will go out and fill live wells every time.

As to access on the Pamlico, you are correct, I don't live down there and I don't know what its like fishing out there. I do know how aggravating commercial nets can be, I've dealt with that a few times.

And yes, resources, in the form of time, money, equipment, family with land, all contribute.