NC Waterfowl Impoundment Guides

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I know of Dare to Hyde, but who guides impoundment hunts here in NC? Feel free to PM me. Just looking to do something different than open water hunts.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I know of Dare to Hyde, but who guides impoundment hunts here in NC? Feel free to PM me. Just looking to do something different than open water hunts.

Some other possible places with good reputations are Joey Ben Williams, Fairfield, NC; N Hyde N, Fairfield NC. Most impoundment hunts are weather dependent. Also, Do not book a time around a full moon, unless it snows it is usually bad hunting. I think Brad Garganus does impoundment hunts, if so you would want to consider him.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Does Joey Ben Williams still have all his impoundments?? If so, we had some great hunts with him but it's been a few years ago. Best hunts we had were those in the November season. Not many big ducks but we had some incredible teal hunts!

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Wild Wings only offers a "season" blind. 8 hunts for about $30,000. up to 4 guys in a blind but I think it is usually 3 hunters. Long waiting list for membership.

Correct, 32,000 dollars for four 2 day hunts. Hester picks the dates. They do have a few openings on occasion.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Duck hunting is big business... Hester has a system that produces...

the system is fairly simple: a place where ducks want to go, lots of food (legal) and very, very limited pressure. the Sunday hunting crowd aught to take note about the pressure issue.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,, the Sunday hunting crowd aught to take note about the pressure issue.

I believe they did address it,,,,,,,if there is concern, close it Mon-Fri,,,,,you increase the no-pressure days by 500% and increase the hunting days for most hunters by 200%,,,,,,,,a win-win!!

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I believe they did address it,,,,,,,if there is concern, close it Mon-Fri,,,,,you increase the no-pressure days by 500% and increase the hunting days for most hunters by 200%,,,,,,,,a win-win!!

You should work for the climate change advocates, takes a real talent to put two such concepts together to produce such BS that might be believable by the uninformed.

Since NC laws crowd so many hunters on to a fraction of the public trust waters two high pressure days in a row will make those areas we can hunt unproductive. nothing like increasing the amount of time public water hunters can stare at empty skies.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

I think you may have been joking.... But I'd much rather have the ability to pick my days, based on the weather AND the anticipated crowds. Most private waterfowl properties have "pressure based rules". Some public areas are similar, and some public areas are wide open. I like the mix we have currently.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was semi-joking,,,,,,i too want to pick my days,,,,,,

the anti-sunday duck hunting just cracks me up,,,,,,so many other states (with good and bad duck numbers) do just fine with Sunday hunting but NC will be trashed if it happens,,,,,,,,not because its a tradition mind you (which is the real reason for folks opposition) but because the ducks can't handle it,,,,,,,

gimme a break,,,,,,,,

edit to get back on topic,,,,,,,

I don't know any other impoundment guides than whats already been addressed,,,,,,most NC duck guides won't return phone calls anyhow unless they know you,,,,,,they are popular,,,,,

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You should work for the climate change advocates, takes a real talent to put two such concepts together to produce such BS that might be believable by the uninformed. .

you funny GI witth that climate change gig,,,,,,,,but the two concepts are not disparate,,,,,pressure is pressure,,,,,,why not have it that way if the concern is pressure?

Jmac

pressure puts ducks on a refuge/ sanctuary body of water, maybe in the next state or maybe in a very close but less pressured location, pressure may actually benefit private Impoundments

skydog

$30K+ to hunt ducks a few times a year in the Atlantic flyway?!....a fool and their money are soon parted I suppose

skydog

With regards to SH...I've lived it here in VA for a few years now since we put it in place. It's not a question of it being some apocalyptically bad event for duck hunting, but it certainly hasn't helped anything.

Because the way the 60 days worked out, our season used to include every weekend from Mid Nov-end of Jan (weekday split in early December). Now with SH, we get 10 days in November and less than two weeks in December. Oh and the birds we do get to hunt during that compressed time are more pressured and seemingly gone from most any 'public' water. Yes, all other states do it, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

The atlantic flyway already has the worst duck hunting in the country with too few birds and too many hunters. Adding Sunday hunting to that equation can only hurt. It's a mathematical certainty.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
chevync20 - hope you find a good guide to go with,,,,,,I'm a volunteer if you need a 2nd body!!

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Besides not returning your calls, the good ones book up very early. I think Adam Jones open and closed his book in a week. Many of the impoundments that used to offer guided day hunts are now membership clubs. cost are nothing like Wild Wings. Most are from $2500 per season to about $12,000 per season. Most hunt Saturdays and a weekday. The reason I get worked up about Sunday hunting is the potential to lose a weekend. It would hurt a lot of businesses in Hyde. They get a huge influx in Bear and duck season.

If you can get a spot at Dare to Hyde, while they may seem pricey, they really have some great impoundments.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Besides not returning your calls, the good ones book up very early. I think Adam Jones open and closed his book in a week. Many of the impoundments that used to offer guided day hunts are now membership clubs. cost are nothing like Wild Wings. Most are from $2500 per season to about $12,000 per season. Most hunt Saturdays and a weekday. The reason I get worked up about Sunday hunting is the potential to lose a weekend. It would hurt a lot of businesses in Hyde. They get a huge influx in Bear and duck season

If you can get a spot at Dare to Hyde, while they may seem pricey, they really have some great impoundments.

I've hunted with Adam Jones, he can put you on birds when no one else can.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I was semi-joking,,,,,,i too want to pick my days,,,,,,

the anti-sunday duck hunting just cracks me up,,,,,,so many other states (with good and bad duck numbers) do just fine with Sunday hunting but NC will be trashed if it happens,,,,,,,,not because its a tradition mind you (which is the real reason for folks opposition) but because the ducks can't handle it,,,,,,,

gimme a break,,,,,,,,

edit to get back on topic,,,,,,,

I don't know any other impoundment guides than whats already been addressed,,,,,,most NC duck guides won't return phone calls anyhow unless they know you,,,,,,they are popular,,,,,

This is my opinion on it. Everywhere else, with good, bad, or indifferent duck hunting, has Sunday hunting. It doesn't really seem relevant to hunting.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
With regards to SH...I've lived it here in VA for a few years now since we put it in place. It's not a question of it being some apocalyptically bad event for duck hunting, but it certainly hasn't helped anything.

Because the way the 60 days worked out, our season used to include every weekend from Mid Nov-end of Jan (weekday split in early December). Now with SH, we get 10 days in November and less than two weeks in December. Oh and the birds we do get to hunt during that compressed time are more pressured and seemingly gone from most any 'public' water. Yes, all other states do it, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

The atlantic flyway already has the worst duck hunting in the country with too few birds and too many hunters. Adding Sunday hunting to that equation can only hurt. It's a mathematical certainty.

I agree with you 100%. I have been saying the same thing the whole time. I hunt both VA and NC and have multiple connections in both areas and I can tell you while it hasnt been a HUGE hurt to hunting in VA, especially public areas, it hasnt helped.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I agree with you 100%. I have been saying the same thing the whole time. I hunt both VA and NC and have multiple connections in both areas and I can tell you while it hasnt been a HUGE hurt to hunting in VA, especially public areas, it hasnt helped.

losing a weekend because of Sundays counting against our 60 day limit will be a HUGE hurt to NC hunters.

straightline

Ten Pointer
Correct, 32,000 dollars for four 2 day hunts. Hester picks the dates. They do have a few openings on occasion.

$22k for 4 hunts. Even with everything Hester does there are days his place sucks. A few days last year we couldn't buy a bird, some days you could kill them with tennis rackets. Pat Simmons is doing a few day hunts but they are pricey. DTH will be your best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
That just blows this poor man's mind...
I do love looking at their hunting grounds, pretty-pretty eapeciallly when it's full of birds.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
$22k for 4 hunts. Even with everything Hester does there are days his place sucks. A few days last year we couldn't buy a bird, some days you could kill them with tennis rackets. Pat Simmons is doing a few day hunts but they are pricey. DTH will be your best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

almost a thousand a bird if you shoot limits every day. Ill say with my 5 dollar permit hunt and public land.