Blackhorn 209

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Do you guys notice a difference in performance with different primers? If so, which do you prefer?
I have boxes and boxes of 209's for the muzzleloader but understand that these can't be used for the Blackhorn powder.

I got my BH209, loose powder breech plug and Fiocchi primers from Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop. I've never used any other primer with BH209. From what I've read itwill not pay to use leftover primers meant for muzzle loader use.

<>< Fish

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Cleaning the breech plug after every few shots makes a huge difference. My TC Omega will start to pattern awful after 8 or 9 shots. I can clean only the breech plug it will group like it should. I use a drill bit and a welding torch tip cleaning file to clean it.

I measure by weight.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Have any of you BH209 users shot over a chronograph to check actual vs. claimed velocity yet?

<>< Fish

Sure have, shooting 2260ish with a 250gn shockwave over 88.3 gns. Groups right at 1.25 inches at 114 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks TMC for letting me hang on to your thread...

Does anyone local (or even close) to Winston Salem or surrounding area have a source of Fiocchi 209 primers? I've called all over and can't find any. I'd love to only buy once, and have what has been proven to fit tightly in my gun instead of having boxes of primers that I'll never use for anything else.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
If you can't find any there cal DGS sports in Lexington. David will order what you need, i'm going down there this afternoon to get my mounts for mine, ill ask about them. His number is 336-787-2506 (cool number) he will work with you to get them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Short of ordering them, Carlos at Ed's in Vass is the only one I know of that stocks them on the shelf and you can buy a 100 pack at the time. I'm sure he will ship you some if you call him at the store.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you call the gun store in lexington?

I called them last week, and they didn't stock Fiocchi, but had several other brands. I've called everyone I can find listed locally and can't seem to find anyone that has Fiocchi brand. I would gladly pre-order and pay for them if I could find anyone willing to order a brick of them.
That $20.00 hazmat fee is keeping me from just ordering them myself from Midway.

Just called David at DGS, he doesn't have anything but CCI 209's and can't even order the Fiocchi brand from his suppliers. This is much harder than it should be dang it. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay that extra $20.00...

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Did you call the gun store in lexington?

I called them last week, and they didn't stock Fiocchi, but had several other brands. I've called everyone I can find listed locally and can't seem to find anyone that has Fiocchi brand. I would gladly pre-order and pay for them if I could find anyone willing to order a brick of them.
That $20.00 hazmat fee is keeping me from just ordering them myself from Midway.

Just called David at DGS, he doesn't have anything but CCI 209's and can't even order the Fiocchi brand from his suppliers. This is much harder than it should be dang it. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay that extra $20.00...

You planning any trips close to Raleigh anytime soon? I'd pick you up some from Ed's if you can get this way or find somebody on here that goes back and forth to meet me.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks buddy, I do appreciate that but I hope to not set foot anywhere near that roadwork nightmare anytime in the near future.
I found that Cheddite primers aren't quite as hot, but they are metric so they are the same diameter as the Fiocchi ones and they are readily available locally. I'll probably just try those.
Thanks for trying..it is noted and appreciated !

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just picked up a brick of Cheddite primers.Anyone needing a good hot primer for Blackhorn 209 should give these a look.
They are sealed with laquer and just under magnum heat. Lots of folks online like the way they perform.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Sure have, shooting 2260ish with a 250gn shockwave over 88.3 gns. Groups right at 1.25 inches at 114 yards.

Travis, is that 88.3 gns. weighed or volume...what caliber/gun you shooting? Do you know if you can shoot the older Knights with the plunger type system using a full charge of Blackhorn....I have a Knight BK92... .24" barrel and can shoot 3 of the 50 gr. Tripple 7 pellets with no problems...pretty hot load but have not shot Blackhorn 209 yet. Want to try it but now am wondering if the Winchester 209 primers or CCI 209M primers with the breech plug conversion I have (Full plastic jacket) will handle a full load of Blackhorn...like 84 grains by weight which is 110 grains by volume.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

Travis, is that 88.3 gns. weighed or volume...what caliber/gun you shooting? Do you know if you can shoot the older Knights with the plunger type system using a full charge of Blackhorn....I have a Knight BK92... .24" barrel and can shoot 3 of the 50 gr. Tripple 7 pellets with no problems...pretty hot load but have not shot Blackhorn 209 yet. Want to try it but now am wondering if the Winchester 209 primers or CCI 209M primers with the breech plug conversion I have (Full plastic jacket) will handle a full load of Blackhorn...like 84 grains by weight which is 110 grains by volume.

I believe the blackhorn folks themselves recommend only using a sealed enclosed breach system which the old knight system is not. You can call them directly and ask about your specific gun but I don't think you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk