Eclipse 8/21

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Just think of all the deer that are going to die in the next few weeks running into traffic blind as a bat!! Also, i guess we should just cancel our dove hunt. They will be dead to from flying into buildings!!

I know you're joking but I was sitting on porch watching my dove field. Those lil jokers went on a binge feed and were flying everywhere before and during. Kinda like they do after a hard rain.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Here in our area of the coast it got a little darker for maybe at the most 30 minutes then it was gone, nothing to it ...

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We were at 93% coverage here in New Bern. I sure expected it to get a lot darker than it did. Amazing how bright only 7% of the sun is! And dang it...I got all ammo-ed up and not a single zombie came out to be shot!:D

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
We were at 93% coverage here in New Bern. I sure expected it to get a lot darker than it did. Amazing how bright only 7% of the sun is! And dang it...I got all ammo-ed up and not a single zombie came out to be shot!:D

That's what the Wife told me she heard on the TV, 93% coverage for us also but somehow I doubt that happened here..Maybe it was 93% I don't know..

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I saw that tree shadow effect here in Rocky Mount as well, didn't think to get a pic of it though.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
If you want to see the impact of the eclipse, go over to Google Maps and view the traffic data. You can see the path of the eclipse by seeing where the traffic is in the red.

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
I missed my stories today because of the eclipse coverage.:)
Good thing is they will show it at 2:05 a.m. in the morning.:D

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, it has gotten cloudy now and is a lot darker than the eclipse. I figured at 95% here, it would be a lot darker than it was.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know you're joking but I was sitting on porch watching my dove field. Those lil jokers went on a binge feed and were flying everywhere before and during. Kinda like they do after a hard rain.

They were diving in and feeding all over the place. Then about 5 minutes before the peak, a big group went flying over, headed toward the roost.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Didn't last long for sure...I was busy and forgot about it...then happened to notice a strange change in the light outside and remembered...called for my Wife...we stepped out on the front porch, watched different sections of bright light & darkness changing across our lot for 2-3 minutes...then it was over.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Honestly, I thought it was going to get much darker than it did... It was a let down
Me too, if most adults were outside today in our area without any advance notice of the event, I bet 99% would not have noticed anything special. I sure didn't, and many people around me said the same thing.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Seemed like a lot of hype for not a lot of reason to me. I was expecting it to get a lot darker than it did.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Drove the 1.5 hours down to a place I hunt in middle of nowhere, SC that was in the totality path. Honestly, one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. You could tell it was getting darker but when it went 100% coverage it was like the last 5 minutes of shooting time yet middle of the day. Surreal to me and my wife, we were the only people around for a few miles and it was just us standing in the middle of a dirt road beside a clearcut taking it all in. Huge difference even between 99% coverage and 100%, I would have never thought so but there was a clear difference between just a small sliver of the sun showing and it being completely blacked out by the moon.

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
At fort Bragg I saw a bunch of little green men running around.. scared this poor boy to death.. Then I realized it was just some GI joes playing.. It only got cooler and the birds stops singing for a minute..

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
1970 I was 8 years old when the "eclipse of the century" passed south to north along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. I was a huge astronomy nut / space junky back then what with manned rocket launches and such to tantalize a young man's adventurous mind,,,,,I made an eclipse viewer so I could see the eclipse of the sun (no fancy glasses that I know of back then),,,,,,I was in Wisconsin so didn't get the full eclipse like they did here in NC and elsewhere,,,,,,

47 years later my grandson is 8 years old,,,,and we watched the eclipse together,,,,,,he loved it,,,and I loved him loving it,,,,,,we talked about the why,,,we talked about how cool it was,,,and we discussed any questions/concerns he might have had,,,,,,

I know a lot of you poo-poo the idea of watching the eclipse,,,,but I looked forward to it and so did my grandson,,,,

I found it very cool, very satisfying that we were both 8 years old when we saw our first eclipse,,,,,we are already making plans for 2024 so his little brother (3 yrs old for this one) can see one,,,,,,

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a blast watching it I'm honestly mad I didn't drive down to view it in totality...they said it was 98% here.

A group of my friends have a continuous group text message and we are split half and half on who was impressed and who wasn't. Although the ones who weren't are the same ones who are cynical about everything.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1970 I was 8 years old when the "eclipse of the century" passed south to north along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. I was a huge astronomy nut / space junky back then what with manned rocket launches and such to tantalize a young man's adventurous mind,,,,,I made an eclipse viewer so I could see the eclipse of the sun (no fancy glasses that I know of back then),,,,,,I was in Wisconsin so didn't get the full eclipse like they did here in NC and elsewhere,,,,,,

47 years later my grandson is 8 years old,,,,and we watched the eclipse together,,,,,,he loved it,,,and I loved him loving it,,,,,,we talked about the why,,,we talked about how cool it was,,,and we discussed any questions/concerns he might have had,,,,,,

I know a lot of you poo-poo the idea of watching the eclipse,,,,but I looked forward to it and so did my grandson,,,,

I found it very cool, very satisfying that we were both 8 years old when we saw our first eclipse,,,,,we are already making plans for 2024 so his little brother (3 yrs old for this one) can see one,,,,,,

That's a great story and really what this was all about, sharing the experience. I told my wife as the eclipse was happening that what makes something like this special is that it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience of a cosmic event, simultaneously shared by millions........

Decades from now, your grandson may experience an eclipse with HIS grandson and tell him, "I remember way back in '17 with my grandpa....."

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
It was cool looking at it, but the effects on the ground were highly overrated, IMHO.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
Even though our house was just a few hundred yards from the totality line, we drove up to the Blue Ridge Parkway where we could look out over the mountains. We expected it to be crowded and it was but we had no problem finding a nice spot for viewing. And we really lucked out because a few miles away it became totally socked in with clouds. It got much darker than what I expected. A car came down the road and the guy next to us started yelling at them to turn their headlights off. The views were well worth it. Really enjoyed it. Saw cars from as far away as North Dakota and lots from the New England and the Northeast areas as well as Arizona, Kentucky, Virginia, and many others. The first picture was at the start of the eclipse and the others were near and then in totality.
0821171234-00.jpg
0821171436-00.jpg
0821171437-00.jpg
0821171437-01.jpg

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Had a great show here, my son and I grilled steaks then ate a bowl of Ice cream each while it went total, got pretty dark, no clouds in the way and James was fascinated,,, and he is 15