Eclipse 8/21

witler

Eight Pointer
1970 I was 8 years old when the "eclipse of the century" passed south to north along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. I was a huge astronomy nut / space junky back then what with manned rocket launches and such to tantalize a young man's adventurous mind,,,,,I made an eclipse viewer so I could see the eclipse of the sun (no fancy glasses that I know of back then),,,,,,I was in Wisconsin so didn't get the full eclipse like they did here in NC and elsewhere,,,,,,

47 years later my grandson is 8 years old,,,,and we watched the eclipse together,,,,,,he loved it,,,and I loved him loving it,,,,,,we talked about the why,,,we talked about how cool it was,,,and we discussed any questions/concerns he might have had,,,,,,

I know a lot of you poo-poo the idea of watching the eclipse,,,,but I looked forward to it and so did my grandson,,,,

I found it very cool, very satisfying that we were both 8 years old when we saw our first eclipse,,,,,we are already making plans for 2024 so his little brother (3 yrs old for this one) can see one,,,,,,

The one on one with your grandson far out weighs the eclipse,IMO, something you can both remember.

witler

Eight Pointer
I must say the 93% was brighter than expected. As it turns out 35 yrs ago the wife and I were married on this date, so she took off from work and we spent time on the deck watching the eclipse and enjoying a chilled bottle of Prosecco, a double memory day for us.

witler

Eight Pointer
A lot of hype or not, it was refreshing to see something different on the news other than defacing our country's history or president bashing.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm not downplaying the significance of it, but there must have been a huge difference between 95% and 100%. It got darker here, but not what I would consider really dark. I've seen heavy thunderstorms that made it darker than that.

My second thought was, that was a cool event because of it's rarity, and yes, it was cool to see the moon take a bite out of the sun, but most sunsets here are more impressive than that. If a good sunset only came around every 40 years or so, the entire country would declare a national holiday for it.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm not downplaying the significance of it, but there must have been a huge difference between 95% and 100%. .

there is,,,,only in the path of totality do you get the full effect of the eclipse (darkness, corona, etc),,,,other than that, it darkens just a fraction.

speaks to how bright the sun is, that you can knock out 90+ percent of it and still be full daylight

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Agree...it was interesting to step out on the porch and watch the yard change in the course of 2-3 minutes.
But I would have been disgusted with myself if I'd gone to all sorts of lengths & costs for what I saw just stepping outside here.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
there is,,,,only in the path of totality do you get the full effect of the eclipse (darkness, corona, etc),,,,other than that, it darkens just a fraction.

speaks to how bright the sun is, that you can knock out 90+ percent of it and still be full daylight

I knew that. I knew it wouldn't be truly dark, but like others, I am impressed how bright 5% of the sun is. I could see just a small sliver of the sun, and yet the light level just looked like we were getting a good midday thunderstorm.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I am not down playing the importance of the event, and yes it was interesting to step outside and see the lowered light levels. What I did popo was the absolute idiotic reaction of the general populace and the media over this thing. Think I saw that it cost employers around 700 billion dollars yesterday in lost productivity and workers being out. it just furthers confirms that the vast majority of the people of this country are clueless.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I knew that. I knew it wouldn't be truly dark, but like others, I am impressed how bright 5% of the sun is. I could see just a small sliver of the sun, and yet the light level just looked like we were getting a good midday thunderstorm.

ok, my mistake in how I read the initial post on it,,,,

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I ended up taking 6 year old and headed to the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia. We arrived around 9am and snagged one of the last parking spaces. If you've never been to this zoo I highly recommend it. With my Greensboro Science center membership we got in for $13-14. We wandered around the animals and botanical gardens and splash park to kill some time. When the eclipse started we sat in a slightly shady spot and started watching. Around 2pm the sun moved out from the tree and we watched until totality. It was amazing how bright the sun was until the last sliver was covered up. As soon as we hit totality the bugs started chirping and it was like it was 10pm. We watched in awe for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. It was truly one of the coolest things I have ever seen. We left at 3pm and the 3 hour drive turned in to 8 hours with a stop for dinner and run by Cabala's. We should have stuck around the zoo for another couple hours and then left.

Some moron at NC DOT decided that yesterday was a great day to do construction projects on 85. They shut down all but one lane in several spots so that they could hang signs.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We were in the 100% totality area and it was amazing, one of the coolest things I've seen. It did get dark enough to see some planets(we had an astronomy nut at the block party so we were kept informed of what we were seeing).
The stages were very cool, and I was amazed at how the whole world got so darn quiet...birds and insects just quit making noise, there was no wind, it was dead still. We had open skies and the view was spectacular..almost worth the 9 hour drive home last night/this morning.
Traffic was CRAZY...we had 3 hours getting from Peachtree to Dillsboro, and 74 was at a standstill when we got to the turnoff so we detoured to Maggie Valley through Cherokee...another possible mistake. Hwy 19 was insane, but still moving a little. Then back on 74 from more traffic from HELL only to find that there was a 1 1/2 hour delay from an overturned tractor trailer on I-40 at the foot of Black Mountain. We detoured around Asheville, Old Fort and Black Mountain on the curviest roads(some gravel) and found ourselves on Bat Cave Road..somewhere actually familiar to me. Finally after saving an hour , we were back on I-40 to find that traffic and construction was going to cost us another 45 minutes ...so we detoured to I-77 and then onto Hwy 421 and to home with no more traffic. At 1250 this AM I pulled into the driveway and made it to work almost on time to find that my co-worker called out today. WOW..it's gonna be a long day.
Was it worth it, absolutely. There's no way to describe the awe of the whole event, it was amazing.

A 4 1/2 hour trip almost doubled to 9 hours due to traffic....and there was plenty of blame to go around, to include the local sheriff departments stopping traffic to hand out freakin' water.....what kind of stuff is THAT?

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not downplaying the significance of it, but there must have been a huge difference between 95% and 100%.

There was a huge difference between 99% and 100%. I was at a friends in Rosman. Totality was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. It was dark, crickets and cicadas turned on almost instantly. The moment it went to 99% it felt like dusk again.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There was a huge difference between 99% and 100%. I was at a friends in Rosman. Totality was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. It was dark, crickets and cicadas turned on almost instantly. The moment it went to 99% it felt like dusk again.

I pulled the glasses off a second early and it was amazing the amount of blinding light that .01% of the sun is putting out.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Since my Aunt and Uncle bought a lot on a lake in Murphy when I was in high school (over 25 years ago) the entire family traveled every summer to Murphy to build the house in stages, finish the house, fish the pier in the lake, fish the daylights out of that lake, raft the Nantahala, cook and eat like Kings', etc. Over the years, we accumulated a massive amount of lifelong memories there.

We're all older, and chubbier now, and my uncle already had quad bypass 3 years ago, so this January, when I read where the eclipse would cover, I planned to be there to add one more Murphy memory to my list. Relatives from Florida, GA and parts of NC all joined in on Friday.

I have to say this. What I saw, heard, and felt in about a 4 or 5 minute span is the absolute greatest spectacle I have (and may ever) witnessed! Hands down. When we felt the temps drop like they did, the crickets light up like they did, the bats start flying like they did, and anticipation was frenzic.

And when we all finally took of our glasses for the totality, what I saw literally took my breath away and we heard all I could do was gasp.

I thought there wouldn't be much difference between 98-99% and totaility. I have never been more wrong in my life.

Eclipse 2017 077.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Since my Aunt and Uncle bought a lot on a lake in Murphy when I was in high school (over 25 years ago) the entire family traveled every summer to Murphy to build the house in stages, finish the house, fish the pier in the lake, fish the daylights out of that lake, raft the Nantahala, cook and eat like Kings', etc. Over the years, we accumulated a massive amount of lifelong memories there.

We're all older, and chubbier now, and my uncle already had quad bypass 3 years ago, so this January, when I read where the eclipse would cover, I planned to be there to add one more Murphy memory to my list. Relatives from Florida, GA and parts of NC all joined in on Friday.

I have to say this. What I saw, heard, and felt in about a 4 or 5 minute span is the absolute greatest spectacle I have (and may ever) witnessed! Hands down. When we felt the temps drop like they did, the crickets light up like they did, the bats start flying like they did, and anticipation was frenzic.

And when we all finally took of our glasses for the totality, what I saw literally took my breath away and we heard all I could do was gasp.

I thought there wouldn't be much difference between 98-99% and totaility. I have never been more wrong in my life.

View attachment 56356

Excellent picture...you shoulda' hollered..we had several slabs of bbQue ribs left and plenty of smoked pulled boston butt..and other yummy goodies, you would have been welcome.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I am not down playing the importance of the event, and yes it was interesting to step outside and see the lowered light levels. What I did popo was the absolute idiotic reaction of the general populace and the media over this thing. Think I saw that it cost employers around 700 billion dollars yesterday in lost productivity and workers being out. it just furthers confirms that the vast majority of the people of this country are clueless.

I would like to see how they made that estimate. There is not any additional lost productivity if the people took a vacation day from work which is accounted for in their benefits package. The lost productivity is just transferred from a different day of the year when the employee may have taken vacation.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would like to see how they made that estimate. There is not any additional lost productivity if the people took a vacation day from work which is accounted for in their benefits package. The lost productivity is just transferred from a different day of the year when the employee may have taken vacation.

Our GDP is around 50billion a day. Not sure how we lost 770.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
It was million not billion.....just glanced at it and missed that part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I took a PTO day. I had it planned before I was aware of the eclipse to go to my buddies condo in Little River. We knew it would be cloudy and didn't care. Saw about 1/2 of it coming before the clouds set in and then the next 1/2 of it leaving as the clouds broke up. Was a nice day at the beach.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
That's a little more realistic.

I bet the City of Columbia took in 40-50million extra yesterday. That was just one of many major cities along the path.

We were there in Columbia and did not venture away from the hotel until after the event. I was super glad we made the trip. It was AWESOME.
IMG_5831 Reduced Size.jpg

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
We ate dinner and left Murphy @ 5:45 pm last night. It's usually 5.5 hours plus stops. My GPS said my arrival time home eta was midnight.

Andrews (dead center) was DEAD coming home, everything was dead until we hit the gorge. People were hardly moving. We got passed by 2 rafts on the Nantahala lol.

Then once on the highway, it opened up!!! for about 8 minutes lol. THen DEAD stop. Barely moved for 1.5 hours. Stopped ang got gas (didn't need it, but thank God we did), and once again traffic flowed, for another 7-8 miles. By now, the GPS eta had climbed it's way up to 1:45 am.

Once at the next traffic jam, we just sat there and apparently everyone was trying to use their GPS and data and I think it overloaded the system (I actually tested that in Murphy for work).

New ETA was 3 am, but found a quicker route heading North and coming into Asheville from the west instead of the south. Trusted Google (apparently a group of us did), and took that. It dropped my eta by 43 minutes. Back on 40, things went well, but google then told me to get off at the next exit to avoid a 2 hour delay. It was already 9 pm, traffic was flowing, I decided I knew better than Google.......

New rule, when Google says take an alternate route, TAKE IT!!! :mad: sat for almost 3 hours going no more than 7 miles because of an accident east of Asheville. ETA finally kept updating lol.

Once we slowly started moving, I was shocked to see the ETA was......5:02 am. Work was gonna suck lol.

Rolled into the house around 5:15, and thought about staying up to see the third sunrise in 24 hours, but a nap was more important.

We both said the same term to describe the traffic jam coming home.

"WORTH IT!" :cool:

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I can't believe how quiet it got... it was eerie, my neighbor and I just looked at each other and then looked around, it was like the world had stopped.

I can only imagine what the natives though when this would happen... I'm assuming a lot of animals died to make the gods happy again lol