Eclipse 8/21

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
It amazes me the absolute total hype and hysteria over this event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
When I was a kid I would grab my dad's welding mask and look at the sun through it. The sun looked like a pale green ball. Pretty neat to a ten year old.

Yep, I have done that many times myself and probably some people might put on a welding helmet and watch the Sun today, if it isn't cloudy. I think the weatherman has predicted it will be cloudy for our area, it is partly cloudy here this morning..

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

That's because it's the harbinger of the end times. We're all gonna die. Sorta like Night of the Comet...only different.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't get it.... a lot of unproductive time will be wasted today for sure. I could care less about this event. Seems like some of those around me are all pumped up for it. Plus buying a pair of glasses to watch it off the internet that may or may not work seems beyond ridiculous. Why to I think in a week when we see thousands of people blind some terrorist group will claim victory by having made some really good fake glasses.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns

I agree, my Wife and I were talking about this last night...There surely wasn't this much hype and hysteria over the 1970 eclipse..

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I agree, my Wife and I were talking about this last night...There surely wasn't this much hype and hysteria over the 1970 eclipse..

And the thing is it's not like these things are all that uncommon. There is another one is 7 years.....

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
That's because it's the harbinger of the end times. We're all gonna die. Sorta like Night of the Comet...only different.

Maybe it's because I have become so jaded, but honestly I believe it is all a shiny object to keep people's attention from the fact that world is starting to burn all around us. Yet another truck attack in Europe, the rumblings and violent upheavals occurring in this country.....the shepple need to be distracted. Sorry didn't mean to derail this thread but I swear it amazes me exactly how stupid this country has become. It is like I live in the movie idiocracy

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
And the thing is it's not like these things are all that uncommon. There is another one is 7 years.....

Yep, and I know for sure I would not drive hundreds of miles to see the total eclipse like they say millions are doing when it could be cloudy in the area of the total eclipse..Other folks and many of them are way more interested in this type of hype than I am...

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
When I was a kid I would grab my dad's welding mask and look at the sun through it. The sun looked like a pale green ball. Pretty neat to a ten year old.

I'll be doing the same today. I'll try to get a pic.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sitting on the front deck in Peachtree enjoying the cool mountain morning.
We are having a neighborhood get together for everyone here to see the event. Lots of smoked front shoulders, boston butts, watermelon the whole works.
Gonna be tough driving home this afternoon, we love it up here.
There's no traffic, no extra folks here now..much less than leaf season.
I've seen lots of created camp sites and tons of state road signs warning me of the hordes of folks expected...even $20.00 parking. Lots of hillbilly entrepreneurs are gonna be disappointed.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
try living in east TN. Schools have cancelled for the day. Most rediculous bull$h!t I've ever seen. Only thing I wish is I'd bought a couple hundred pairs of eclipse glasses back around may/June. I'd made enough off those suckers to buy a new gun or pay for a vacation.
My wife said there were people set up on the side of the road selling them this morning.
I'd wager most people aren't even gonna see it. They'll all be too busy videoing it with their phones and never actually view it.
Truly sad part about all this is I'm sure there'll be some road fatalities from all the increased traffic. All over something that's been blown way out of proportion. And in typical 2017 fashion, in 2-3 days, there'll be no talk of it as if it never happened.
On a bright note, I do think it's good for some of these small towns around here that will have totality. They are projected to have 300k-500k visitors. It'll be a real boost for their economy. They were interviewing a group from England this morning that'd came here just for the eclipse.

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
try living in east TN. Schools have cancelled for the day. Most rediculous bull$h!t I've ever seen. Only thing I wish is I'd bought a couple hundred pairs of eclipse glasses back around may/June. I'd made enough off those suckers to buy a new gun or pay for a vacation.
My wife said there were people set up on the side of the road selling them this morning.
I'd wager most people aren't even gonna see it. They'll all be too busy videoing it with their phones and never actually view it.
Truly sad part about all this is I'm sure there'll be some road fatalities from all the increased traffic. All over something that's been blown way out of proportion. And in typical 2017 fashion, in 2-3 days, there'll be no talk of it as if it never happened.
On a bright note, I do think it's good for some of these small towns around here that will have totality. They are projected to have 300k-500k visitors. It'll be a real boost for their economy. They were interviewing a group from England this morning that'd came here just for the eclipse.

Dark, I'll up you one on rediculous, my wife is from Bristol and they closed schools this past Friday because of Race traffic. Apparently the buses get in traffic and can't make schedule.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
this talk reminds me of the "high priest" in Apocalypto,,,,,,old fart KNEW what was happening, but used it to his advantage with the ignorant masses,,,,,,,,,,,,

[video=youtube_share;KmtttE3u1g0]https://youtu.be/KmtttE3u1g0[/video]

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Agree but I wish a year ago that I would have bought several cases of eclipse glasses. I could have made a fortune today sitting at any random corner in the area. Hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited:

mcstriad

Button Buck
Just think of all the deer that are going to die in the next few weeks running into traffic blind as a bat!! Also, i guess we should just cancel our dove hunt. They will be dead to from flying into buildings!!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Just think of all the deer that are going to die in the next few weeks running into traffic blind as a bat!! Also, i guess we should just cancel our dove hunt. They will be dead to from flying into buildings!!

My guess is that all of the other animals in the animal kingdom are smart enough not to stare at the sun during the eclipse. Humans are the only ones stupid enough. But if you don't think there is any danger, feel free to stare.

mcstriad

Button Buck
I'm just making a joke because of all the hype. I know better than to stare at it. My wife just brought our outside dog in the house per the media advise. Lord help me!!! I have miller as protection as well.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Check the number on your Miller glass......most are not safe for viewing the sun.

Only #14 glass is safe!

Mine is #10 which is pretty common on commercial helmets but not safe for the sun.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Sitting on the front deck in Peachtree enjoying the cool mountain morning.
We are having a neighborhood get together for everyone here to see the event. Lots of smoked front shoulders, boston butts, watermelon the whole works.
Gonna be tough driving home this afternoon, we love it up here.
There's no traffic, no extra folks here now..much less than leaf season.
I've seen lots of created camp sites and tons of state road signs warning me of the hordes of folks expected...even $20.00 parking. Lots of hillbilly entrepreneurs are gonna be disappointed.

Curios if it's still pretty slow over there now? Right now here in Haywood 74 is supposedly pretty packed from what I've heard from people coming into where I work from people heading west