Favorite part of deer hunting?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i like to get in very early and hear all the action in the woods pre dawn. the imagination soars.

after that i love tricking them, have them in archery range with no clue that i am around.

then there is that period between seeing one i want to shoot and the shot.

wish i could bottle that and have a drink at will. :)

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Spending time on Tapatalk with all the other hunters here during the hunting day. Probably missed seeing several big bucks.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I honestly couldn't say, I love chasing bucks but enjoy does just as much. I love sunrise/set in the woods and feel closest to God in these times. One thing I can say with certainty is I absolutely hate chiggers and ticks!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckman84

Eight Pointer
The night before the first hunt, barely able to sleep thinking about tomorrow. Climbing in the stand in complete darkness to sit and watch the woods come to life. The anticipation you receive when you hear the leaves crunch near by only to nothing but a squirrel, lol! The feeling when your heart is about to beat out your chest when you finally spot a deer. And when the hunt is over you made it home safe, the stories to share with family and friends, the memories you will never forget. And the chance to do it all over again. Only few understand why we do this, but its what we do. God bless everyone this season and stay safe.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I enjoy the camaraderie before and after a hunt, and I enjoy preseason scouting and trying to unravel what the deer are doing. But my absolute favorite part is when I first catch sight/sound of a deer. Whether I'm in a treestand with a bow or still hunting with a rifle, hearing crunching leaves gets my heart racing. And I love the second of panic when you see a deer without having any warning. Those little adrenaline dumps get me going.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
In the same stand, side by side with my 76 year old Dad when he shoots his first 7 point buck after I hoot it to a stop and then sitting in the stand with him when he is 78 and quivering just a bit from Parkinson's and being the one to spot and snort (real darn loud snorts!) to a stop another monster, a 9 point this time, and even with tremors he leans over onto my lap, locks in tight on the rifle and makes a grand back of the neck shot, just below the base of the skull from 230 yards! Nothing better. Could be the end of my life on that day and it'd be okay with me.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
One of my favorite fellow North Carolinians summed it up better than I ever could. RIP Robert Ruark

<>< Fish

RobertRuark.jpg

Tony_Mileham

My favorite part is the also the most humbling for me. From the moment I walk up to the deer I've been fortunate enough to take, through the entire skinning process, it's all kind of ritualistic and spiritual. Knowing and understanding how natural it is for one life to be taken to feed another, and to have that sense of feeling like I am part of a dying tradition and way of life, and one with nature, is pretty incredible to me. I'm not going to lie, I feel a little sadness when I kill a deer, but that sadness is overridden by the thankfulness for its sacrifice. Call me what you want, but that's what I feel and that's my favorite part.

This is also mine.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I love the anticipation of what might be or what might show up. I have things happen that I will never forget, and knowing a forever memory may be created at any moment is exciting. It wasn't until recently when I began to fill a hole in my hunting experience. I made some good friends and have realized how much camaraderie adds to my experiences, I look forward to a lot more memories like these.

Last edited:

CJisLost

Six Pointer
First unusual cool day in summer when it tricks you into thinking it's fall weather and you've still got a month or more to go till the season starts and then pretty much every moment after that until the end of turkey season.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I love my bow. I love hunting. I love killing the deer you have pictures of. I like the fellowship. I like the likes on Facebook. I love the woods. I hate chiggers and ticks. I love fresh air. I love the sore :donk:donk:donk from my cheap lock ons. I love the idea during the rut a monster could be coming in a split sec. I love hearing a broad head hit a deer. I love eating deer.

DozerD

Six Pointer
The preparation is always great but the first few sits on stand are always the best. Not because of what I hope comes my way but having the time to reflect by myself on what has happened in my life over the previous year. I've always told my wife that I'm a better person during deer season, and that's because I get those few precious hours to relish in gods glory and think things through. Its therapeutic for me regardless of the outcome. Spending it with family and friends is always an added bonus

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
As I get older,I seem to enjoy the hunt from start to finish more and more. It use to be about what I could kill. Not so much anymore as I have slowed it way down to enjoy the sights,sounds and being with my kids and friends in the woods. I truly enjoy the harvest when I get to prepare it for consumption along with being in camp and sharing stories with others that Im hunting with. I figure if its my time to get a shot and harvest an animal, it will happen. Start finish, I enjoy every day of the season I am able to be out in the woods from prep to the kill. As I get older, I look back to the memories I have created with hunting with my kids who are now 17 and 19 and the what it means to me to have taught them to be a good woodsman and woman. Its priceless. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Seeing the terms "smoked", "shooter", "cull", and "doe (in plural form)" used. Topics involving cover scents and scent eliminators are a close second. Drum (reds or bull reds for the weird effers) fishing is above all else. It used to be the crunching of the leaves in the AM just after it started breaking day light.

bradman

Spike
Wow, it's been eighteen years since I've been deer hunting. On that day I was bow hunting in September and killed two nice bucks, an eight pointer and a six pointer. Neither were Pope and Young, but both were very nice bucks. I remember it so well because my wife was nine months pregnant and I had her come to the bottom that I was at to take pics of me with the deer. She had our son the following week. ha ha.

My favorite part of hunting was the entire preparation process. Shooting the bow, scouting, preparing the hunting spot, cutting out shooting lanes, putting up the stands, finding new rubs and later scrapes, back then cameras weren't available or were extremely expensive and didn't work very well.

Having the deer come in directly to you and having to wait for them to leave was always interesting. Or to shoot one with my huge Simmons Shark broadheads was an awesome feeling as well, but the preparation, was always the part that I really looked forward to. Having that huge rack was awesome and each time I look at it all of the hard work that went into killing him comes fresh back into my mind.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Waking the woods up with the crack of an '06 on a cold November morning... I've always loved the way that sounds rolls through frosty hardwood hollers...

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn't take anything for the time with my sons and my Dad. I also am fortunate to have a tight knit local group of friends that live to hunt also.....It is never about the kill.....that is just a bonus for me

Jvick87

Button Buck
The whole gamut. Hunting is therapeutic for me. One of only a few things that makes me feel completely at peace.