Favorite part of deer hunting?

Tony_Mileham

Curious, what is your favorite part of the hunt? Season prep (what specifically), the kill, or the processing etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
The hunt and adrenaline with anticipation of footsteps in the crunchy oak leaves. Never killed a booner yet but in mind I have

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Also, the scouting and figuring them out like a game...but also the camaraderie of hunting buddies

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hunting with friends and the anticipation of the hunt. I'd near about rather kill a doe in the company of good friends than an average buck by myself...call me crazy.

I really enjoy the prep for the coming season but once the heat, ticks, and yellow jackets are in full force I stay inside lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowery63

Four Pointer
All the preparation getting out doing food plots running cams and refreshing mineral sites watching deer learning each deer as they reach there full potential to me nothing is more rewarding

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
My favorite part is when I'm all set and waiting for the woods to settle down if I go in during light or for first light ... knowing how things can go from zero to a deer instantly. I just love the sights, sounds, smells ...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That first frosty cold front, when there is a crisp chill in the air for the first time in a long time, and you just KNOW the bucks ware gonna be on their feet.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Preparing for the season. I enjoy planting the foodplot and planning and trying to figure out where is the best place to hunt that elusive trophy white tail buck.;)
When it all comes together. Pure magic. Last year when I shot that big 8 that I had been chasing for 3 years, for a moment when I got good blood I was ecstatic. The next evening after my brother I spent 6 hours looking for that deer.....I seriously thought about quitting.All that time , money and energy spent for one moment to come up short was frigging depressing.
Still the preparing and getting to that moment does it for me. My wife says I am crazy.

BigDeal84

Spike
View attachment 56106The look on my son's face when I "catched a deer".

That's hard to beat right there!

I've often thought it to be the thrill associated with the anticipation and preparation of the season. Then the season arrives and it's walking out and climbing into the stand. The peacefulness one experiences out in the woods. You think it can't get any better...... Until you hear it! The crunch of leaves, the rattle of antlers or the grunt of a buck and the fever cranks up. The draw, release, wait, track and locating the animal. For me the best part gets better at each stage of the hunt. Only gets worse if I overcook the meat!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The quiet, the mini-naps, the smell of the woods, the uninterrupted mannerisms of all Gods creatures.. And stuffed tenderloin.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I hardly get excited with actually hunting anymore. The days of hoping,thinking and wishing a big buck will appear are over.
I figure if it hasn't happened by now it probably won't.

Now I get enjoyment from seeing the little food plots I put in grow and checking my trail cams.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Last edited:

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Working my arse off all week, long hours, sometimes stressful, sometimes fun - then getting off a little early on Friday and slipping quietly into the stand and sitting there until it gets dark - in the quiet with just me, my thoughts, and the woods. Oh, and did I see a deer - who cares! But it is nice when I do.

JakeH

Four Pointer
Getting into the woods and experiencing nature. Hunting is all in the experience, whether I see a deer or not. Just getting away from civilization for a few hours is good for the soul.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
It is impossible for me to say what part is my favorite because they are all great. Clearly just sitting in a tree or a blind and observing things you can only see while hunting while anticipating the approach of a nice deer is way up there on the list. But all that goes into hunting while hanging out with a good buddy is also pretty high on the list. I hunt mostly game lands so I don't do any prep and I'll admit I do less "scouting" than I probably should. And to me while the kill does get one's adrenaline going it isn't even necessary to me. Just my $00.02.

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
Just sitting around the camp/clubhouse listening to the old guys' stories. I'm 57 now. My dad started deer hunting in the 4th grade.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Anticipation and remembrance.
But I do love the cool Nov breeze and the sounds of crunching leaves steadily getting louder.

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I love it all...but to be honest, most of the pure fun for me personally is in the planning and preparation. There is so much anticipation during these stages...it's like a kid looking forward to Christmas!

DFisher

Eight Pointer
The 5 seconds before the shot, and the 5 seconds after. And when I Don't get to shot, just nature itself.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I like it all, but my favorite is either piecing together a challenging tracking job or standing around the grill with my buddies waiting on the meat to finish cooking.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Fellowship, hunting with good friends and family. Seeing a young hunter take their first deer or an elder hunter take their largest buck ever, either so excited they are nearly in tears, in front of my hounds. Cool, crisp fall days out side help too!

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My favorite part is the also the most humbling for me. From the moment I walk up to the deer I've been fortunate enough to take, through the entire skinning process, it's all kind of ritualistic and spiritual. Knowing and understanding how natural it is for one life to be taken to feed another, and to have that sense of feeling like I am part of a dying tradition and way of life, and one with nature, is pretty incredible to me. I'm not going to lie, I feel a little sadness when I kill a deer, but that sadness is overridden by the thankfulness for its sacrifice. Call me what you want, but that's what I feel and that's my favorite part.