Headboat trip 8/3/17

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Had a great day of catching Thursday on the Carolina Princess. I kept about 20 good fish and threw back lots of less tasty (in my opinion) sea dwellers. Caught well over 100 fish throughout the trip. The catch of the day came from the guy beside me though. He was one happy dude!!!
CP Aug.jpg
lobster.jpg

Last edited:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
No. I don't care for the taste of ringtails, French grunts or sand bass so I don't keep them. I don't keep jacks either but I love catching them :fishing:

Last edited:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Docks at 6th street in MHC and is $100 for a full day. You get a shirt, free breakfast and lunch, and free bottled water included. There were only 21 of us last Thursday on a 95' boat.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Technically that dude broke the law with that lobster......
https://safmc.net/regulations/regulations-by-species/spiny-lobster/

Recreational:

OPEN
Two Day Recreational Sport Season: July 26 & 27, 2017
Size Limit: Must have carapace size of 3". Divers must measure carapace while in water.
Bag Limit:
Limit is 6 per person off Florida. No transfer at sea between boats. Cannot combine EEZ and state bag limits.
Limit is 2 per person per trip off NC, SC, and GA.
Regulatory Remarks:
Undersized lobster must be released unharmed immediately without removal from water.
Season closed in Florida from April 1 to August 5. Special non-trap season off Florida is last Wednesday and successive Thursday in July.
Removal of tail at sea is prohibited without permit.
No taking of berried spiny or berried slipper lobsters
No spears, hooks, or piercing devices.
Explosives prohibited.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Well the crew didn't try to hide it. In fact, they put it on their site the very next day. Oh well, I doubt they will get it back now:)

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
In my head that's more of a gaff type thing, no? Like to pull them out of crevices and such?

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
The lobster technically was not hooked. It just got tangled up in the line enough that he couldn't break free. We were using circle hooks so it would be tough to stick one I would think. It's hard enough to hook a fish with those things sometimes:eek:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lol, I just meant it I thought it wasn't pertaining to a fish hook, which as you said..... I thought it meant like a hook on a stick, similar to a gaff.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Lol, I just meant it I thought it wasn't pertaining to a fish hook, which as you said..... I thought it meant like a hook on a stick, similar to a gaff.

I believe you are correct,,,,,,from what I understand, they catch enough of them on those boats that if the wardens didn't like it they'd already know it,,,,,,,,

firemedic54

Ten Pointer
Where were his pinchers? Never seen a lobster without them, then again never studied them much, I guess some breeds may not have them.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
In my head that's more of a gaff type thing, no? Like to pull them out of crevices and such?

Honestly no idea Justin, but the regs say no hooks. I looked and looked and there is no mention on the NC marine fisheries website of spiny lobsters or season or bag limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
So I found this on the SC dmf website:
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/saltwaterfishing.pdf

25494cccee63b60f39cce2a1a6bdb2b8.jpg

80afa758e3cdaf090438aa840f79a88c.jpg
6bb66958c67c13bee4b8f62ffd3c1153.jpg

So SC specifically mentions that fish hooks are ok. Again clear as mud on a regulation

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Honestly no idea Justin, but the regs say no hooks. I looked and looked and there is no mention on the NC marine fisheries website of spiny lobsters or season or bag limits.

I think they are talking about a hook like a gaff but it is super vague. A lot of fisherman use a mop head with bait to snag them.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think they are talking about a hook like a gaff but it is super vague. A lot of fisherman use a mop head with bait to snag them.

I've seen a wad of panty hose with bait used to snag them as well. It was actually pretty common practice to use panty hose on the end of a poke pole to get them out of holes.