Coyotes thinned?

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So I've noticed this year I'm seeing alot more rabbits out on the property. Like every trip out I'm seeing 4-5, back in June I had 6-7 chasing all around the brush. Coyote scat sightings seem down. Normally I see several piles walking the trails.So I'm thinking someone has thinned them out, or they have moved on?? Seeing more turkeys as well.

I have created some brush piles from the trees I cut while enlarging a plot, but didn't think the population would boom that quickly??

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know down in Scotland county , there is all out effort in reducing the coyote populations. Several clubs and landowners are working on them. Our club was looking into allowing a trapper in to knock them down.

Last edited:

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They were thick here for years - now I never hear them howling at night anymore, and I'm seeing a large number of twin fawns with their moms. Fawn recruitment seems to be up for the first time in years, and none of my neighbors reported seeing coyotes while deer hunting last season either. Might be temporary, but certainly keeping an eye on this...

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah they were thick here a few years ago. George Hi plantation & shooting preserve is only a mile or so away from the property- I'm wondering if they have been working on them.

Overall deer sightings though have been down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
^ Agree. Natural causes will kill more than we ever can.

I have seen more fawns this year, something has happened. The deer will come back a little then the yote population will increase again. I would say predator/prey relationship at work. I don't know for sure but it seems the more fawns born, the higher the pup survival is.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ Agree. Natural causes will kill more than we ever can.

I have seen more fawns this year, something has happened. The deer will come back a little then the yote population will increase again. I would say predator/prey relationship at work. I don't know for sure but it seems the more fawns born, the higher the pup survival is.
Yep, natures balance. Prey down, you can figure predators will be slightly down the next year. If prey remains down then predators will exponentially reply. That is without a big interference from man.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rabbits are everywhere in the summer, but the mortality has got to be extremely high from birth until November. By the time deer January comes, you're lucky to find one or two.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Certain times of the year we kill more coyotes than other times,an it varies from year to year.I encourage my employees to always have a gun near-by when working I have no problem with them stopping work at anytime to shot one,plus I have a couple employees who hunt them 2 or 3 times a week after work when we are seeing alot around.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
No, no, no! This is impossible. Coyote populations can only grow. In three or four years we won't have any rabbits or deer left to hunt. Coyotes will turn to preying on toddlers. The world as we know it is coming to an end!

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I'm seeing much the same thing. I can't remember the last time I heard or saw a coyote around here, we're seeing rabbits (haven't been seeing them for years), and deer (albeit, small ones) are once again wandering into the yard and mommas gardens ...

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
No, no, no! This is impossible. Coyote populations can only grow. In three or four years we won't have any rabbits or deer left to hunt. Coyotes will turn to preying on toddlers. The world as we know it is coming to an end!

If does are over harvested in the presence of coyotes, research has suggested that the deer population may not be able to recover. Imo, the deer population will never be the same as before coyotes.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Haha. I noticed more rabbits last fall while hunting. Then this year through spring & early summer noticed a lot more. And like I said, less coyote signs.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So I've noticed this year I'm seeing alot more rabbits out on the property. Like every trip out I'm seeing 4-5, back in June I had 6-7 chasing all around the brush. Coyote scat sightings seem down. Normally I see several piles walking the trails.So I'm thinking someone has thinned them out, or they have moved on?? Seeing more turkeys as well.

I have created some brush piles from the trees I cut while enlarging a plot, but didn't think the population would boom that quickly??

do you still have plenty of deer?

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If does are over harvested in the presence of coyotes, research has suggested that the deer population may not be able to recover. Imo, the deer population will never be the same as before coyotes.

This ^^ gets my vote. Research in these AL, GA and SC, with 150+ tagged coyotes will provide data this year and possibly be funded for another year. Issues such as diet and home range will come into focus.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This ^^ gets my vote. Research in these AL, GA and SC, with 150+ tagged coyotes will provide data this year and possibly be funded for another year. Issues such as diet and home range will come into focus.

Yeah I'm curious to see those findings as well.