Stone Mtn Trout?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Daughter wants to catch some trout (her first)
Is the fishing decent at Stone Mtn or better further into the mtns?
NO FLY FISHING for her...but I know I could rig up a streamer on her spinnng rod if need be....I'll just tell her its a trout "lure"..lol!..if some streams are "artificial only."
We'll be towing the new 5th wheel camper too!

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
It's a little late for low elevation trout. It's a lot late actually. With not much rain this past week it may be kinda unethical to go after high elevation creek trout in that area right now.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You won't see trout in Stone Mountain's delayed harvest section until October when they stock the streams again.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Great, thanx
Sooooooooo, do we head for Watauga River below Boone?
Maaaayyybe, she will HAVE to learn to fly fish,...lol?
The regs are a bunch of mazes to my ole mind.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I would look on the trout map at one of the larger rivers that gets regular stockings. You might catch a hold over trout or 2 but at least should be able to catch some blue gill or red eyes, maybe even a small mouth, enough to keep her interest. Any good size hole can hold some but many of those places turn into swimming holes later in the day. Can't beat a small night crawler.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Thanks BS !
After a family meeting, we're probably gona wait until the 1st or last weekend of Oct....after some stockings.......may go to South Mtns State Pk as well as Stone Mtn or Swannanoa

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
They do stock a few around Stone Men. but you have to know where. They get caught out or die quickly this time of year if they are even going to throw any in. Swannanoa actually has some right now...

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Elk River above and below the falls is a good place to go. Plus you're only a short drive from hitting the Linville River on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

<>< Fish

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty much all hatchery waters are done for the year the only place they have stocked for last couple weeks is the Davidson river seen you decided on Oct that is a good time for kid if they can use artificial lure it will be sincgle hook artificial at athat time don't use anthing scented they will stock both Stone and South Mtn by Oct 7th it will be catch and release and trut are a fragile fish what I alays do is bend the barb in you'll loose few fish but will greatly decrese the accidental killing of them. Of the 2 Stone Mtn has better wildlife viewing the weather will be perfect by then

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw that you mentioned SM...
My wife and I live a stones throw from South Mountain. If you plan to fish South Mountain State Park, fish opening day and the first week and a half in June. After that, due to the crowds from Charlotte and Gastonia, it is usually fished out until they stock again in October - then it's catch and release only. In June, it's not uncommon to consistently catch 14-16 inch fish, but they get gone fast with no bait restrictions. We still have a freezer full from the spring, Mmm, Mmm.. :D
18527641_10209491851634434_7304183703152519178_n.jpg