Favorite Catfish setups?

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Looking to purchase a couple new catfish rod and reel combos and just wondering thoughts on what you have or what you would like. Yes, I understand that some are happy with 40-50 pre rigged combos from Wal-Mart, but I am looking more of long term combo that will hold up, no matter the fish size. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Dawia saltist 20LW or 30 LW
they are the black gold as they call them.
Then like a 7 to 8' ugly stick Tiger light

Those do great for any cats. Can even use them for saltwater casting or boat rod.

Other than that the Abu 6500 LW with clicker. Dont like the 7000 or 7500 think they are still made In china and just not the same.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Dawia saltist 20LW or 30 LW
they are the black gold as they call them.
Then like a 7 to 8' ugly stick Tiger light

Those do great for any cats. Can even use them for saltwater casting or boat rod.

Other than that the Abu 6500 LW with clicker. Dont like the 7000 or 7500 think they are still made In china and just not the same.

The 6500 ones are definitely ones I have been looking at. I believe I saw that they were still built in Sweden and had very few complaints.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
St Croix makes some good catfish specific rods

Field and Stream stores carry catfish specific rods

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Depends on if your fishing from a boat or the bank. If your fishing from the bank you need a beefier rod that can handle casting the large weights needed to hold in a cross current. If your fishing out of a boat you can go lighter because you need less weight to hold since you will most likely be fishing downstream with the current. Also, if your fishing brush piles and snaggy areas you will most likely be using heavy lb test line to muscle them out with the drag locked down. In that case you also want a beefier a d shorter rod for better leverage. I fish 4 uglystik tiger's medium heavy. Two have Abu 7000's and two have Penn 309's. The Penn's are tanks and cost about 50-60 bucks. They don't cast as far as the abu's. Both have done well for me so far. I wouldn't buy the new uglystik tiger's as they have cheaped out on the eyes they use. Big cat fever rods would probably be a great all around catfish rod no matter what you do. Pair that with Penn 309 with some heavy lb braid or mono and you could handle any cat out there.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
6500 0r 7000 abus...the ones made in china are fine but ig you dont like them you can get swedish ones on eBay. I would go with the 7000c.

But my cat reels are. 6500c, 7000c, Penn mag 10 (awesome reel if you can find one)Penn 9, Penn 209, shimano Bantam 50 (have 3 of them), daiwa 55 (2 of them), shimano 6500 and 4500 baitrunner (big spinners are good for lobbing big live baits), and probably 6 or 7 millionaires with clickers. Now some of these are what i would call medium cat reels for cats up to 25 -30 lbs and some are for bigger. If you are going big the go with the abu 7000 all the way. Or a abu 9000.

But this is what I want to stress. Go to bottom dwellers tackle. Get an American spirit nitestik .. 7 ft med heavy. This is the best cat rod ever made for the money. I will post the mfg number later. You can't beat this rod. 5 times tougher than an ugly stik which I have some of them and another good rod is the ugly stik tiger rod

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Don't overlook the Penn Mag 10. Do I like it as good as the 7000? no , but it is a really good reel. There is one right now now on ebay for 69 bucks.
I use 40 lb line on my abu 7000 and the mag 10, 30 lb on the 6500c and the rest are either spooled with 30 or 25 lb line

ONG719AW IS THE Nitestik i LIKE THE BEST , works great with an abu 7000View attachment 56131View attachment 56131

https://bottomdwellerstackle.com/pr...ck-classic-fishing-rod-with-eva-foam-handles/

pictured are the reels I like the best and in my first post I forgot about one of the best ....calcutta 700. a dang smooth but pricey cat reel. Also, if you do get or use a 6500 abu, make sure you buy the power handle for it. They are crap with that double hadle they come with.

View attachment 56128[/ATTACH]View attachment 56130
1-DSCF1813.jpg

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I can't imagine needing anything other than a 6500 for a catfish under 100lb. Just upgrade the drag washers.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can't imagine needing anything other than a 6500 for a catfish under 100lb. Just upgrade the drag washers.
That is exactly right. I suspect I catch as many in the 30 and above range as the average guy that goes after them regularly in NC. I have used just about all the reels mentioned at one time or another. I started out with Penn 9s way back when.

If you use good drag washers 6500s will handle anything you put on them day in and day out. Their weakest point would be if you are float fishing large live bait in swift water with clickers you may have an issue with them pulling off some line.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
6500 abu may be the best all around reel for all cats but imho they are crap as they come of of the box. no cranking power until you upgrade to a power handle.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
6500 abu may be the best all around reel for all cats but imho they are crap as they come of of the box. no cranking power until you upgrade to a power handle.

I agree and back when I bought mine a 6500 was $70 and a power handle was a $15. A 7000 c3 was $99 at BPS. I went with the 7000 because I liked the line capacity for drift fishing. I have burnt up a few drag washers in mine.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I do a lot of precision trolling and use Okuma Magda Pro reels with line counters and a White striper ugly stick. I put some mono backing and then some 30-40lb power pro. Gives you a nice rod and reel for <$100.