training and goofing off,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I haven't had this much fun in a while,,,

working, training, and getting exposure/experience for my now 4+ month old pup,,,,,she's doing great for me,,,,,her drive is amazing - hope I can keep up!!

We work the woods and fields,,,,chase some bunnies,,,,point some birds,,,,do retrieving training,,,,swim, run around like fools,,,,smell deer and coyote trails,,,and generally having a great time,,,,,

already planning bird related boondoggles,,,,,,,may not go this year but next year and beyond - watch out!!

My Aggie,,,,,

_d9-gLrRg26zHzgTNLQN_3W43LKuXYlgQfdJgmTCvKTz0bpdY9AsYyC8LTTk4yE7qm3H6m7ze3xjgeL52Q=w293-h220

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
sshh,,,don't tell my wife but we ran a stray cat this morning,,,,,,,she did a fair job on it till she got worried were I was at,,,,,4 months and 11 days old,,,,,glad she didn't catch it though,,,may have whooped her young butt,,,,,

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Ahhh, the energy of youth..... going to be a good dog with all that outdoor training she is getting.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like y'all are having a grand time. Keep it up! Sounds like many adventures are waiting.

Missing with pups and young dogs, is one of the things I like the most about keeping and raising hunting dogs. It is amazing watching instinct combine with intelligence.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
on Monday past, we were out putting up posted signs on a mile long border with the game lands,,,,,she was having a good time while I worked,,,,,all of a sudden BAM she locked up,,,,,luckily I was looking at here when it happened,,,,at first I was like "cool, wonder what she has",,,,then, knowing where we were I got all paranoid thinking "snake"! so I got my butt over there,,,,,,,

box turtle!

breathed a sigh of releif and then thought to myself "dang, expect I'll have to break the knucklehead off of turtles"!

anyhow, we are having a blast learning,,,,,

I'll give that line one thing - they are motivated dogs,,,,she is intense in all things,

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
on Monday past, we were out putting up posted signs on a mile long border with the game lands,,,,,she was having a good time while I worked,,,,,all of a sudden BAM she locked up,,,,,luckily I was looking at here when it happened,,,,at first I was like "cool, wonder what she has",,,,then, knowing where we were I got all paranoid thinking "snake"! so I got my butt over there,,,,,,,

box turtle!

breathed a sigh of releif and then thought to myself "dang, expect I'll have to break the knucklehead off of turtles"!

anyhow, we are having a blast learning,,,,,

I'll give that line one thing - they are motivated dogs,,,,she is intense in all things,

My fear is always a skunk more than a snake. But that's because he pointed a skunk when he was a pup. I dodged a major bullet, thinking it was a pheasant (I was in ND.) I went and kicked the skunk out! Didn't get sprayed though I had to drag him away from the skunk.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
that's the only thing that makes me hesitate on my out of state plans,,,,skunks and porcupines,,,,,dealt with them both a lot when I was a kid,,,,

we don't have skunks down this way,,,,,nor porkies,,,,,,but when I head north or west - look out

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like how you painted her tail so you can see her easier.

does look that way but nope,,,,natural,,,,,probably be the last part to darken up but I hope it stays that way,,,,,,,,,they were real light collared in many areas when young,,,,,,,,the progression of darkening is interesting,,but it's the same with many breeds

oCA0gxLSJqKESf1Z9AyJKku6loGRtlQY46FekNWKuvzezPlyckppEUbq62AWXPE_4VyycrHLkTLihzdenw=w165-h220

DQZ4Wo0dxQEIQdx50uLilr1qSZ1vhDTd4MFIzNfsCf3QAL-aCQVUUF7q3-8elbGm0WXazthupdXtGu1lqg=w293-h220

ZZgJ-TXeZ9unzs_5g0cAwFf47LqbKv3nJWaiSYfxeHvndxxWfiBbAj5UnuuzKYfl9d7g6xlKe9Ih1RTlnQ=w293-h220

BrgTOssmq-pd7cWdCYhbvZx1g5U3eR2R8xLIg0zr4642RZ33C7csxP0A3u_BwjrROawQYEW_MCyyh_FhAw=w293-h220

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many of my curs would grab a box terrapin and bring them back when they were young, or bay them. I never messed with them and all of them quit messing with them.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In the dog world that is invaluable. I use "let's go", in essence the same thing.
You got that right. Between "No mam" and "come on" I can call my feist off deer, squirrels and about anything else she takes off to. It took a lot of work as a puppy but dogs and kids are a lot alike in that aspect. Have to teach them while they are young.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
that's the only thing that makes me hesitate on my out of state plans,,,,skunks and porcupines,,,,,dealt with them both a lot when I was a kid,,,,

we don't have skunks down this way,,,,,nor porkies,,,,,,but when I head north or west - look out

I know a gentleman whose Griffon pup was bit at a young age by a copperhead, he lives in Raleigh in the city limits, so it can happen anywhere. Dog is fine except for a little scar on her lip, looks like a smirk. Life's too short to worry about it IMO. If I were hunting out west I'd likely get the rattlesnake vaccine. Otherwise,

*wolves
*porkies
*skunks
*snakes
*conibear traps
*Grassy Awns (LITERALLY GRASS SEED)
*Barbed Wire
*Another stupid hunter shooting your dog
*Another Stupid Hunter's Dog picking a fight with your dog
*Giardia
*Whipworm
*small thorns in the footpad
*underwater hazards
*chasing a deer in another state where someone else can legally shoot your dog for it

Can all cause everything from frustration to vet bills to heartbreak. I've seen barbed wire injuries that range from pokes to worse. I hunt with an entire group that refuses to put neoprene vests on their dogs after two cold water swims to get a dog that was hung up on the verge of drowning. There are always risks.

In the dog world that is invaluable. I use "let's go", in essence the same thing.

"whoa" or whatever you use for a "HALT" command is almost equally as useful. Especially if the neighbors cat is loose in your yard. Not that I care for the cat, or my neighbor, but we all still have to live together, also don't want him chasing into traffic.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
oh, trust me, I don't over worry on anything when it comes to the woods, or critters therein,,,,whether bears or ticks, or anything in between,,,,I was more half facetious (well except for the smell!!)

in fact, hope she points a porky,,,,good eating,,,,,,,makes a fine stew to me,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
"cat,,,,,what cat??,,,,,,oh,,,that cat......nope, haven't seen her,,,,,,,,"

later

"dog,,,,stop eating the neighbors cats!!!"