Early season advice needed

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
This is my second season ever hunting archery. I learned a lot last year but the early season is still pretty new to me. I've located some really nice bucks, a bachelor group of 3 mature bucks and a spike traveling with 4 does. I put some corn out and all the deer, mature bucks included, were eating the corn in daylight hours am and PM on several days in the week it was out. My question: season is still 6 weeks out, isn't it likely their patterns will change by mid September? Is there anything I could do to help keep their interest in this particular area?
b539b9b9e84a32f7fd8297ae71022d1a.jpg
8d2f36acad2f03737481969c0ff1a7df.jpg
a8565cc88be1eff2973001e98b77dbad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Keep them fed with the least amount of intrusion as you can. The bucks are definitely going to split up, but maybe not by opening day. But if you keep corn out, the does will stay, hopefully one or more of the Bucks will hang close by.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keep them on the corn and kill him one evening opening week when the wind is right. Then they will break up and you'll have to work for it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Keep them on the corn and kill him one evening opening week when the wind is right. Then they will break up and you'll have to work for it.

this,,,,pray they hang tight till opening day/week,,,,as they won't much past that,,,pattern will change up some,,,,,,,,

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I'd I'd the trail they're using coming in and set up about 100 yards up from where you put the feed

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
I've got the tree picked out for the climber that's easy to access on a bare cow trail through the woods that the deer aren't using so I can get in there pretty quietly. 3 years ago I blew my opportunity on the one with the wide spread in rifle season. Last year I had pictures of the 2 bigger ones but never for more than a day or two, then I'd have to keep moving to find them again. So having them come in and be interested in the corn is a first. Problem is that the coons, turkeys, and a bear are eating the corn too so withing a few days it's pretty much gone. I don't want to spend any more time there than I have to until opening day but if I'm going to use corn to hold them near, I'll have to go at least weekly to restock the corn. It's a beautiful spot and I knew it when I found it because it's a U-shaped hollow where 3 come together at a creek bottom with oaks everywhere and each of the hollows are brier thickets.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
set cameras on trails/movement areas coming into/through that "u-shaped hollow",,,,see if you can figure out their routes through there naturally,,,then you can omit the corn and not worry with raccoons and bears,,,

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
set cameras on trails/movement areas coming into/through that "u-shaped hollow",,,,see if you can figure out their routes through there naturally,,,then you can omit the corn and not worry with raccoons and bears,,,

that's what I was wondering, when they come through they're only there for like 4-5 mins total and not coming back until dusk or after sunrise, not at night once to feed, so to me they're just using it as a funnel and finding the corn is a bonus...looks like I need buy a few dozen cameras :) I won't be able to pull the card for 2 weeks, so by that time the corn I put out last night will be long gone, and if they're still coming through there I suppose I'll have my answer.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
You are fortunate to have daytime pics. Like others have said keep them coming to the dinner table and watch your wind when you hunt them. Probably won't take much to run them off of the routine of coming to the corn regularly.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Are there any large food sources near by, specifically bean fields? If not you might have a small window where you can kill him. His pattern will change for sure in September but you might get lucky and it will be later in the month. Try not to be intrusive, in a thick area like that it is very easy to leave scent behind. I know you have to put out corn but where gloves, rubber boots, bring scent spray whatever you gotta do. Try to get him opening day if the wind is right.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I would hunt between where they are bedded and where they are going. Hunting on the food might box you in if they come in late. Hunt where you can get out without them knowing it. Nothing worse than blowing them off the food the first week. Do not hunt them if the wind is wrong as you will really mess up that spot.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I like them to put me on a pattern as much as I like to pattern them. I feed, not yet though but once a week at near a certain time of day if there is a deer in the area worth messing with. This you should know from previous year pictures or this years if you have to burn that time finding out. Any way what I mean for them to put me on a pattern means they know an associated scent I leave when I feed consistent. Say every Monday in the afternoon. Say heavy picks are Monday night Tuesday morning and afternoon then die off until you feed again the next Monday. Well that means I need to find a good wind or not depending on past pictures and the past weather on the date. Go in there clean and kill him.
Good luck
Nothing really ever works consistent but I feel better approaching it like this. Post first couple weeks if you don't kill him you might as well wait untill pre rut to try again.
But I don't..

30/06

Twelve Pointer
All bets are off once acorns start falling. First few days are your best bet, especially if temps cool off during that period.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I think you will find that afternoon/evenings are better for movement early bow season ( vs mornings). I would be in that stand on the first day with good wind and avoid it as much as possible until then.

bradman

Spike
Well, this is just my opinion, but I think that you are right on target. Keep feeding the corn. The golden nuggets are magical and trump everything else. Second pay attention to the buck crap. It's much larger and formed compared to everything else and that big buck is leaving some massive loads in your area, I guarantee it. Next, watch for fresh rubs. That big buck is going to leave some massive rubs to get that velvet off and to mark his territory. That will tell the story. If you find his rubs, you'll know where he's at. That along with your camera, you should have everything that you need. Finally, if you can set your place up in a funnel, between fields, in a creek bottom or on the edge of a cut over or where two or three different terrains meet. A staging area before the deer go into a larger area, like a field. Somewhere that the deer feel ultrasafe and will come to and through without hesitation. You're watching the wind already, so you are ahead of the game there. They will change their pattern, but your baited spot will be included in their new pattern. Wait and see. I haven't hunted in many years, but I've killed my share of big bucks in my day and that's what I'd do. Just my .02. Best of luck to you!

Last edited: