Gobbler Fever?

bradman

Spike
So, I've never been turkey hunting. I'm thinking about going this year. Is it really exciting? Will I get the fever like I did many years ago for the bucks during deer season? Thanks for any input.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Nope, boring as all get out,,,don't bother as watching someone knit is more exciting,,,,,

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So, I've never been turkey hunting. I'm thinking about going this year. Is it really exciting? Will I get the fever like I did many years ago for the bucks during deer season? Thanks for any input.

it depends on how you decide to hunt them.
if you hunt them the old way =you will be challenged and excited.

if you pursue them from a blind or tower stand you most likely will prefer knitting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
well only 7.27% of hunters kill two per the NCWRC survey so maybe we should" walk before we run" applies to killing turkeys in NC.

Some folks prefer liberal limits. All of our surrounding states have larger bag limits.

Last edited:

bradman

Spike
I think that I'm going to give it a try. My buds tell me that it is much more challenging than deer hunting. I'm going to keep my eye out for a good shotgun. I've got access to some farm land already. I"ve seen the birds there.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You don't need a special shotgun for turkeys

Also be aware of the baiting feeding regs. It's illegal to hunt near deer salt and corn,

Good luck !

bradman

Spike
You don't need a special shotgun for turkeys

Also be aware of the baiting feeding regs. It's illegal to hunt near deer salt and corn,

Good luck !

Thanks and I know! What a bunch of garbage. How am I supposed to make sure that they are there??????
The golden nuggets are given to us for a reason. lol.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Just don't want folks to end up in trouble.

Might also look into heavier than lead shot as well

TSS shot is becoming popular

Last edited:

bradman

Spike
Just don't want folks to end up in trouble.

Might also look into heavier than lead shot as well

TSS shot is becoming popular

Awesome, thanks. I appreciate the advice. I literally know just enough to get myself into trouble.

I want to kill a " Thunder Chicken!"

Last edited:

bradman

Spike
LoL. I can't wait to see what all the fuss is over. Guys so excited over beards and spurs. I'm in. I'll give it a whirl. I do appreciate the pointers and people trying to keep me out of trouble. Sounds like a hoot, to try to get one to gobble I guess. LoL.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
LoL. I can't wait to see what all the fuss is over. Guys so excited over beards and spurs. I'm in. I'll give it a whirl. I do appreciate the pointers and people trying to keep me out of trouble. Sounds like a hoot, to try to get one to gobble I guess. LoL.
Beards,spurs and turkey nuggets!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

getting one to gobble is the start. getting one to come to your calling and all that can happen between the initial contact (he gobbles) and his death (you convince him to come to you.) is where the action is.

good Luck with them. you might want to start your use of some type of caller . Look and play various friction types (box, pot, push pin) for the easiest start.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If you get like me you can give up every other kinda hunting and fishing but only death will bring an ending to your turkey hunting I guess that qualifies as fever. When hear that first gobble every spring I know life is good

pir8rn

Six Pointer
This past spring was my first time seriously turkey hunting. I have to say, it was more of a rush than deer hunting. But then again, the back and forth calling between he and I was more exciting than waiting and waiting and waiting for a deer to sneak out of the woods...

bradman

Spike
Do you guys put out corn during the off season for turkeys? Or a month or two before the season? (not baiting)

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I prefer Hen N Heat!!! Just be careful..the turkeys will flog you. Had to kill more than my limit last year using it do to a "me or them" type of situation.

After a run in with the warden, court before a judge, the obly thing that got me off the hook was the judge showed mercy once hearing hen n heat was involved

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Do you guys put out corn during the off season for turkeys? Or a month or two before the season? (not baiting)

You can feed turkeys for sure Law says 10 days must elapse since last day all corn is gone before you hunt

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
If you're seeing turkey on your place during season now,they've already got what they want,just make it more attractive for them,clover,chuffa plot thick areas for nesting etc.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some folks love it and some folks are content going the first 2 Saturdays and some can't seem to understand hunting with leaves on the trees.
Those are the 3 groups I have ran into over the years. You won't know till you go. I would rather watch paint dry than set in a blind all day deer hunting a heavy mouth gobbler. He don't gobble then I don't care to hunt him. I like the cat and mouse game. Run and gun baby.

Last edited:

bradman

Spike
I prefer Hen N Heat!!! Just be careful..the turkeys will flog you. Had to kill more than my limit last year using it do to a "me or them" type of situation.

After a run in with the warden, court before a judge, the obly thing that got me off the hook was the judge showed mercy once hearing hen n heat was involved

Okay, I'll bite....... What's "Hen 'N' Heat? Sounds like I need some to put on a decoy. Where does one find this product?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Okay, I'll bite....... What's "Hen 'N' Heat? Sounds like I need some to put on a decoy. Where does one find this product?

it's highway robbery perpetuated by tink nathan of tink's 69 fame. he did actually bottle it. it's useless as turkeys apparently cant smell.

but it is a running gag here.

if you were just kidding you got me good. :)