inflatable auto or manual PFD

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looking an all around PFD.

Looking something to use in the boat, surf fishing, bay and lake.

Want to get a good one that will last to use for any and everything.
Having been in a flash flood camping I always carry rope and a PFD of some type in the truck.
Looking for one I can use for fishing, boating, hunting...... you get the idea. Anytime l'm around water for any use. Going to get a few to have.

What are the better ones that will last, not be a pain to use and wear.
Also need to use a standard recharge kit.

Thoughts?

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
I've had both and I prefer the manual kind. I had the auto to begin with and was in a frog strangler rain and it went off. Had a whale of a time getting it rerolled and rearmed

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have two inflatables both can be configured for manual or auto use. One is a West Marine (4 years old) and the other is an Onyx brand. Both take the size 24 rearming cartridge. Both are comfortable and they are easy to change from manual to auto by changing out the end that actuates the CO2 cartridge. Both are comfy enough to wear paddling the kayaks to riding in a boat all day.

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have two inflatables both can be configured for manual or auto use. One is a West Marine (4 years old) and the other is an Onyx brand. Both take the size 24 rearming cartridge. Both are comfortable and they are easy to change from manual to auto by changing out the end that actuates the CO2 cartridge. Both are comfy enough to wear paddling the kayaks to riding in a boat all day.

<>< Fish

great.
thanks I will look into them.
never see duel function.

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I have both manual and auto and each has it's place. Don't go wading a duck hole with the auto, it'll scare the crap out of you when it goes off, use the manual. ON the boat, the auto gets the nod. I have Sterns brand and haven't had any issues except when I try and shoulder a gun while wearing it. It's comfortable enough that after a while I forget I have it on....
I always tell folks that it won't keep you from drowning but it makes the body easier to find....

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a buddy fall off my boat while docking. Hit his head on the dock and went under water knocked out! Manual would not done him any good.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I had a buddy fall off my boat while docking. Hit his head on the dock and went under water knocked out! Manual would not done him any good.

Maybe maybe not.

But that was not the reason I was looking a manual.

Cant use a auto when you are in the water surf fishing or in and out of the water doing things. Yep it can still be used to save your life.

that was why I was looking both and info on the brands.

Some are 100 and others are 400 to 600.
Looking for info as I have found that the 100 to 200$ units work fine.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Get an auto that has a switch from auto to manual. This will allow you to keep it on auto when there are times you might fall in etc... and have it set to manual when you are surf fishing or know it may get wet.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Get an auto that has a switch from auto to manual. This will allow you to keep it on auto when there are times you might fall in etc... and have it set to manual when you are surf fishing or know it may get wet.

Yep after reading the post about the like you say that is the path I more than likely do.

It would be the safest way.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep after reading the post about the like you say that is the path I more than likely do.

It would be the safest way.

The 3 common unexpected ones are:

Slipping and bumping head

Hearth Attack/Seizure and falling in

Falling in cold water and immediately drowning from the shock of it

I went from never wearing anything to wearing one when out alone and 100% of them time when on my kayak. I have a very comfortable Astral Fishing PFD. It gets annoying when its really hot but its a good tradeoff.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep.
I had a close call a few years back surf fishing.
Heavy current and I stepped off a lip.
Could have been easily washed out with cloths on and had major problems.
Also with the Vertigo hitting me again.. I don't loke going in or near water and not have a pfd so I wanted to get an Auto for the dry and manual or duel for wet.

It is very easy to find yourself in trouble. Best to have something.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I seldom wear one during the day. I coon hunt at night out of a boat with heavy boots, hunting vest that probably weighs 30# and at times have a weapon across my back. Then I have one on, usually I am on a river with fairly swift current. If I went over without one the chances of me making it without one would be slim to none.

I may step off in a hole or trip and fall like I did at eggmans in a creek one night and it deploy, but I would rather be safe than dead.

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Who makes an auto with a switch?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I bought 2 of these for me and my son for when we use the creekboats with and without waders. They are manual belts. I've worn the vest type and didn't like it especially for hunting.
Son had an incident years ago by himself where he wanted to get out but made the mistake of trying to walk on a floating cattail bog. He went through and water poured over his neoprene waders. He got very cold but was fit enough to get himself out.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...nders-16g-manual-inflatable-belt-pfd?a=902527

Last edited: