Anyone use a crossbow instead of a compound?

Swamp_Donkey

Eight Pointer
Now that we can use crossbows are there any cons that I am not thinking about?

I have had several missed opportunities on big bucks with a compound bow due to being seen upon drawing. I cannot seem to do it right for the life of me. Seems like I would have a better chance and be able to shoot further with a crossbow.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I really think this has been beaten to death over the years.

If you cant move with one you will not also with the other.
They both shoot the same you got.a trigger on both and limbs, arrows or bolts and strings.
They both shoot about the same distance.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Now that we can use crossbows are there any cons that I am not thinking about?

I have had several missed opportunities on big bucks with a compound bow due to being seen upon drawing. I cannot seem to do it right for the life of me. Seems like I would have a better chance and be able to shoot further with a crossbow.

I switched mainly due to accuracy and repeatability. Also because my schedule with work and life doesn't afford me nearly as much time as I used to have to shoot and practice with my compound.
That crossbow is gonna have nearly the same POI for every shot. I can't say the same when I shoot my compound

Don't go into it thinking you're gonna shoot much longer distances than you would with your compound. My max was 40 with my compound, and it's still 40 with my x-box.
Yes, my x-bow puts 4 bolts in a group the size of a baseball at 60 yards every time, but there's no way I'd shoot at one that far... too many things to go wrong. One step, a duck, whatever...

I will say that the x-bow is cumbersome and awkward to carry after years of having a compound by my side, but I'm more used to it now. It is much better for those awkward times when deer come in behind you and you were always twisted up torquing your compound in weird ways

Of all the people that I know that have switched, wound loss on deer has gone down significantly from the compound days...Prolly cause "buck fever" doesn't have nearly as much impact on the operation of an x-bow versus the form required with a compound.
IMO that's one of the biggest advantages is knowing where that arrow is gonna go every time you pull the trigger...

I have buddies that "shame" me for shooting an x-bow, but then I watch them go to the woods shooting groups the size of basketballs at 30 yards with their compounds... something about that doesn't compute...

Swamp_Donkey

Eight Pointer
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

I switched mainly due to accuracy and repeatability. Also because my schedule with work and life doesn't afford me nearly as much time as I used to have to shoot and practice with my compound.
That crossbow is gonna have nearly the same POI for every shot. I can't say the same when I shoot my compound

Don't go into it thinking you're gonna shoot much longer distances than you would with your compound. My max was 40 with my compound, and it's still 40 with my x-box.
Yes, my x-bow puts 4 bolts in a group the size of a baseball at 60 yards every time, but there's no way I'd shoot at one that far... too many things to go wrong. One step, a duck, whatever...

I will say that the x-bow is cumbersome and awkward to carry after years of having a compound by my side, but I'm more used to it now. It is much better for those awkward times when deer come in behind you and you were always twisted up torquing your compound in weird ways

Of all the people that I know that have switched, wound loss on deer has gone down significantly from the compound days...Prolly cause "buck fever" doesn't have nearly as much impact on the operation of an x-bow versus the form required with a compound.
IMO that's one of the biggest advantages is knowing where that arrow is gonna go every time you pull the trigger...

I have buddies that "shame" me for shooting an x-bow, but then I watch them go to the woods shooting groups the size of basketballs at 30 yards with their compounds... something about that doesn't compute...

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I have used both for several years. I personally like the crossbow better. If your ever near Moore county get up with me and your welcome to try my crossbows to see if there something you might be interested in. I'm not telling anyone that crossbows are better than compound bows. Crossbows are great for any beginning person wanting to archery hunt.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I have used both for several years. I personally like the crossbow better. If your ever near Moore county get up with me and your welcome to try my crossbows to see if there something you might be interested in. I'm not telling anyone that crossbows are better than compound bows. Crossbows are great for any beginning person wanting to archery hunt.
I'm actually the complete opposite. I started hunting with a crossbow about 8 years ago and then bought a compound 2 years ago. I enjoy my compound so much more than my crossbow. Part of the enjoyment is ppracticing and tweaking. The cossbow is easier and more consistent. Also it is easier to shoot without getting spotted if you is a shooting rail. The only hunting drawback with a crossbow is follow up shots. If you miss like I did years ago, you can't recock the crossbow while in a one person stand.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
This topic is the reason there are crossbow haters. It is easier to shoot a deer with a cross bow. Period. Trad guys are compound haters. Spear clunkers are trad haters. Rock throwers are spear haters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This topic is the reason there are crossbow haters. It is easier to shoot a deer with a cross bow. Period. Trad guys are compound haters. Spear clunkers are trad haters. Rock throwers are spear

You are Painting with a broad brush,,,I shoot and hunt with all of those and sure don't hate on folks that use other methods,,,,,much less hate myself for using one of the other,,,I use rocks, spears, trad bows, compounds, crossbows, flintlocks, inlines, lever guns, and even a bolt gun or three,,,all depending on the terrain, the setup, the season and my mood

Why does it always have to be about "hate"?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I have fun with both. It is easier using my crossbow but that thing is very clunky.

^^^So I still hunt squirrels with my compound cause it's fun as heck....

But, most of my deer hunting is on the ground in the mountains, either still hunting on my feet or at trail intersections...
I've gotten A LOT more deadly during bow season since I switched to x-bow since I can get a shot with minimal movement and noise since I'm usually at eye-level with the deer.

Plus the shots are more controlled... I always hated when hunting with a compound and the deer got jumpy after catching me draw and I was worried about them jumping the string. Passed quite a few at 30+ yards because they were just too unpredictable for me to be comfortable...

With the x-bow, they don't see me and they're usually very calm and relaxed, and my efficacy on shot opportunities has gone up significantly.

But yes... clunky as heck to carry...Luckily my PSA fang is a touch over 6# and isn't too bad to carry by the pistol grip in one hand.

thirtywide

Six Pointer
The guy that hunts the same land I do uses a cross bow all season and he killed four deer last year with it

BigDeal84

Spike
I personally love archery, the more privative the better for me. I do enjoy the ease of use and technology of a compound bow and have been using a bowtech assassin for the past 5 seasons. Unfortunately this year I had shoulder surgery and won't be drawing back those 70lbs.

If I venture or this season it'll have to be with a xbow. They are pretty cool to shoot but I lose interest quickly with them. As others mentioned, easier in a blind.

Speeds of both crossbows and compound are increasing and I wouldn't suggest one to be more lethal than the other. All up to the operator and broadhead.

JakeH

Four Pointer
My brother hunts with a crossbow. I've never particularly gotten into archery as I don't have the time to practice like I need too, but a crossbow could change that.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been thinking about getting a sex change too. A crossbow would be much more beneficial post surgery.... I'm just kidding! Use one if you want!

I've got some torn junk in my shoulders, it's quite painful to draw a compound, but(if memory serves me) a record buck, taken with a crossbow, can't be entered into the record book.

And that's why I haven't switched.

That and trying not to be seen drawing a compound is a little more tingly than shooting a crossbow.