VA apprentice license question

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I'm looking at the VA non-resident licenses. It seems I'm eligible for the apprentice license and as long as I have a hunters safety cert I can hunt for 2 years under it? Am I reading it correctly, or am I missing something. It just seems too cheap to be true.

skydog

This same topic came up on the board last year. If you've held a hunting license in other states before, you're not eligible. It's for first time hunters as a ways of introducing folks to the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My wife got one. She only had an apprentice license in NC and has not done Hunters Safety course yet (which reminds me I need to sign her up). We also got her one in VA. Once she gets the Hunter Safety she can hunt by herself and just needs to upgrade licenses when it expires. It was a great way to save a little money.

It reads like you can do it if you've never had a license in VA. I know that was not their intention and it is meant for new hunters like my wife.

She was able to shoot 2 deer on her first time ever hunting during the Apprentice/Youth Weekend a week before bow season starts.