Ft Walton beach area

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so I'm down here for a day or two,,,then will be back in September two different times for a few days each,,,,,

gonna go recon the boats tomorrow,,,may take a fishing excursion next trip,,,,

anyone have any recommendations for folks down this way?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Might check and see if the red snapper season in state waters will be open in September this year like last year. In the gulf for snapper 9 miles and in is legally considered state waters.

If snapper fishing is your thing.

Good luck

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I used to fish outa Destin all the time (20+) years ago, I'm sure things have changed but if they're still in business "captain duke's" was the best headboat ive ever been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Rent a boat, get some cold beverages and go over to the bay where folks raft up most every day [think spring break] and have a good time.
Lots of snapper over there.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
so I'm down here for a day or two,,,then will be back in September two different times for a few days each,,,,,

gonna go recon the boats tomorrow,,,may take a fishing excursion next trip,,,,

anyone have any recommendations for folks down this way?
Haven't been there since '78 but used to spend a bunch of time there. Lived right across the bay outside Pensacola to '66. It is my understanding it is almost unrecognizable from when I was down there.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I used to fish outa Destin all the time (20+) years ago, I'm sure things have changed but if they're still in business "captain duke's" was the best headboat ive ever been on.

I'll check them out,,,,likely can't go wrong with most of them,,,,

Rent a boat, get some cold beverages and go over to the bay where folks raft up most every day [think spring break] and have a good time.
Lots of snapper over there.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

yes, aware of that "sand island",,,,heard they even have a floating mexican restaurant out there,,,,,,,but no,,,have all of that I need at home!! :cool:

Haven't been there since '78 but used to spend a bunch of time there. Lived right across the bay outside Pensacola to '66. It is my understanding it is almost unrecognizable from when I was down there.

it's been since the mid 90s since I've been here and it's changed a lot since then,,,can only imagine the change since 66,,,,,,,

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
The red snapper is closed for the for hire sector of the fishery down here. In fact we had to pull off of several spots over the weekend because the red snapper and amberjacks were so thick.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One of my best friends lives there, if you want a heads up for a boat trip just let me know and he is close with several captains there. He has a nice smaller boat and I may be able to get you a ride if he's going out.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
thanks everybody,,,,back home till next month,,,,,thanks for all the feedback

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly if you have time, you might could also swing over to orange beach in Alabama and see if their red snapper for hire section season is still open and do a trip that only goes 9 miles out. the mates and captian were talking about red snapper almost being an invasive species in many spots because they have displaced the other snappers species, they are all you can catch in lots of places down here.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly if you have time, you might could also swing over to orange beach in Alabama and see if their red snapper for hire section season is still open and do a trip that only goes 9 miles out. the mates and captian were talking about red snapper almost being an invasive species in many spots because they have displaced the other snappers species, they are all you can catch in lots of places down here.

These are from Orange beach last year and if you go to orange fish the Emerald Spirit, they consistently out fish charters as a headboat.
73d16890ae68c1e178dc22adffe24d60.jpg
b32eee79159dcc29e8169a34e2d4ff25.jpg
320e66973d2ee173ffc3169e5a75d621.jpg

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The season for Bama is the same as Florida this year

Florida will have a gray triggerfish season though this fall

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The article states they approved a season. Now I guess they are working out the details.

Right now gray trigger is closed . Article says the season will be for fall

Last edited: