Hevi Shot Hevi X

Jmac

So I just got off the phone and it appears they are now loading a load of all tungsten pellets that are loaded above the steel pellets in Hevi-metal and it's called Hevi X

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
isnt that pretty much the same thing as heavy metal? They just replaced what ever their blend is that they called "hevi-shot" with tungsten.

Jmac

no, Hevi metal is a less dense tungsten over regular steel, this new offering is ALL less dense tungsten load, very similar to the first Hevi-steel they discontinued a few years ago, NOT the current Hevi-steel of today which is all steel

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Is that the same stuff I saw that had a $849/case msrp??

WHOA!

After all the time and effort I put in to getting out to shoot ducks, I'm not going to skimp on the ammo. But even original Hevi Shot doesn't cost that much.

I bought a case of cheap ammo once...Nothing was more frustrating than pumping a 3 1/2 load of 2 shot into a northern Mallard, watching feathers poof off the breast, and watching it fly away only mildly perturbed.

I've had a positive experience with Hevi Metal and Hevi Steel.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not pushing this ammo but just passing on info, suggested retail is $37 a box and should sale for 30

I gotcha. Before I buy it at whatever cost, I'll buy the tungsten from hawglips and reload it myself.

The tungsten ever becomes affordable, will be the day the 12 gauge goes the way of the 10 gauge and the 20 becomes king.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I looked at their web site and they are saying it's a "tungsten based" load, which means it's blended with some other alloy(s). Would like to know the density but you'd probably have to call to find out. For sure it's not pure tungsten, that stuff hawglips has is higher than a Georgia pine but is far more lethal than anything sold commercially!

You're probably right darkthirty, if tungsten ever became reasonable, a 7/8ths ounce load of #9's from a 20 would be the cat's meow. I've been loading heavyweight 13, #6 shot in a 28ga load and get very good patterns at 40 yds. And it doesn't break the bank.

Jmac

I looked at their web site and they are saying it's a "tungsten based" load, which means it's blended with some other alloy(s). Would like to know the density but you'd probably have to call to find out. For sure it's not pure tungsten, that stuff hawglips has is higher than a Georgia pine but is far more lethal than anything sold commercially!

You're probably right darkthirty, if tungsten ever became reasonable, a 7/8ths ounce load of #9's from a 20 would be the cat's meow. I've been loading heavyweight 13, #6 shot in a 28ga load and get very good patterns at 40 yds. And it doesn't break the bank.

Density is said to be in the upper nines, I heard 9.6 g/cc, right where the original and decent hevi-steel used to be, I was told it's a tungsten, nickel, iron blend

Jmac

taken from another site
Similar pellet process as bismuth pellets except of course ours are made of tungsten and not bismuth. The HEVI-X pellets start in a tungsten powder form mixed with polymers and each is compressed to a certain psi giving them malleability or softness. Pellets weigh just under lead in the high 9 gram per cubic centimeter range but with speeds of 1450 fps expect similar results with lead loads."

Last edited by a moderator:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Sounds like a nice load, albeit still on the expensive side. I bought my last case of Hevi metal on sale for $15/box (which included the manf. rebate). Can't complain on it's performance at long distances, especially at dispatching sea duck cripples.

I'm wondering how the two are going to compete with each other in that I just don't see a whole lot of differences ballistic wise between the two other than Hevi X being about twice as much.

Jmac

Sounds like a nice load, albeit still on the expensive side. I bought my last case of Hevi metal on sale for $15/box (which included the manf. rebate). Can't complain on it's performance at long distances, especially at dispatching sea duck cripples.

I'm wondering how the two are going to compete with each other in that I just don't see a whole lot of differences ballistic wise between the two other than Hevi X being about twice as much.
Well,,,,,being that Hevi X has no steel pellets and being that Hevimetal MAY form a gap in the shot string because of two complete different types of pellets I would wager Hevi X to be a better performer

shurshot

Ten Pointer
My guess is that if's there any gap occurring in the Hevi metal, it would happen well beyond the effective killing distance of that load in that steel will indeed slow quicker than a heavier combined pellet. However, ballistic charts will show steel #2 having enough foot lbs of energy required to penetrate to vitals of large ducks up to 50 yards. Most hunters are going to (and should) attempt shots at a much closer distance, in which any properly matched shot size would be efficient. How many here can honestly say they consistently kill birds beyond 50 yds? Occasionally, maybe.

I don't doubt for a minute the X with all "heavier than steel" pellets would outperform it. But as in my original question, is it worth paying TWICE as much for it when Hevi metal is more than adequate for the vast majority? Or #1 steel (my favorite) for that matter?

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
I gotcha. Before I buy it at whatever cost, I'll buy the tungsten from hawglips and reload it myself.

The tungsten ever becomes affordable, will be the day the 12 gauge goes the way of the 10 gauge and the 20 becomes king.

...or the 28...

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
. But as in my original question, is it worth paying TWICE as much for it when Hevi metal is more than adequate for the vast majority? Or #1 steel (my favorite) for that matter?

I guess it comes to what we are all willing or able to spend but I know the tungsten I reload is unbelievable stuff. I had guys hunting with me who were blown away by the performance. It's not really compatible to anything. If you're like most of us who have become ingrained with the capabilities or incapabilities of steel, it's hard to fathom just how lethal it is. Most guys would never believe how 8's or 9's will completely destroy a goose sized bird. For me, it's worth every penny. But I'll also add part of the satisfaction comes from reloading it too. I don't think I could part with my money as easily if I was buying factory loaded shells of the same.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Yes sir, I shoot my 28's more than my 12's by far and they are fun to shoot. And I'd love to be able to afford loading tungsten for them too. Game changer no doubt. Bad enough it cost me a buck thirty for my Heavy 13 reloads, but I'd be really sick every time I whiffed while shooting tungsten ...even hawglip's reduced cost duplex loads!, lol. But I still agree it's an awesome product! 👍

Jmac

My guess is that if's there any gap occurring in the Hevi metal, it would happen well beyond the effective killing distance of that load in that steel will indeed slow quicker than a heavier combined pellet. However, ballistic charts will show steel #2 having enough foot lbs of energy required to penetrate to vitals of large ducks up to 50 yards. Most hunters are going to (and should) attempt shots at a much closer distance, in which any properly matched shot size would be efficient. How many here can honestly say they consistently kill birds beyond 50 yds? Occasionally, maybe.

I don't doubt for a minute the X with all "heavier than steel" pellets would outperform it. But as in my original question, is it worth paying TWICE as much for it when Hevi metal is more than adequate for the vast majority? Or #1 steel (my favorite) for that matter?
day in and day out Hevimetal is not gonna be had for anything close to half the cost

Jmac

I guess it comes to what we are all willing or able to spend but I know the tungsten I reload is unbelievable stuff. I had guys hunting with me who were blown away by the performance. It's not really compatible to anything. If you're like most of us who have become ingrained with the capabilities or incapabilities of steel, it's hard to fathom just how lethal it is. Most guys would never believe how 8's or 9's will completely destroy a goose sized bird. For me, it's worth every penny. But I'll also add part of the satisfaction comes from reloading it too. I don't think I could part with my money as easily if I was buying factory loaded shells of the same.

I applaud your ability to be able to load and shoot TSS but the vast majority of hunters can not

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I applaud your ability to be able to load and shoot TSS but the vast majority of hunters can not

Understood. I can't afford to hunt with it all year but I do load enough for a couple hunts a year. It's Mainly good for ticking me off when I'm shooting steel after I've hunted with the tungsten. Haha

shurshot

Ten Pointer
day in and day out Hevimetal is not gonna be had for anything close to half the cost

True if you go into your local hunting store at the last minute and pay their cost. A little early planning/shopping will get you very close to half price if the cost of the new stuff is MSRP at $36/box. Check Roger's Sporting Goods for some of the best prices around and free shipping. :cool:

bte0816

Eight Pointer
I'm interested to see how this performs. I started loading hw13 last year since I finally started running out of factory hevishot and federal tungsten loads I had stockpiled over the years.

In typical Environmetal fashion though, if this is a solid performer better stock up before they change the shell makeup to not be entirely the tungsten based shot or reduce density.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Usually we send people home when they start shooting at birds at over 30 yards. Hevi Metal, Blackcloud, Kent Steel, and other work extremely well at that range. In my humble opinion other stuff just encourages sky busting and way to many wounded birds.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Usually we send people home when they start shooting at birds at over 30 yards. Hevi Metal, Blackcloud, Kent Steel, and other work extremely well at that range. In my humble opinion other stuff just encourages sky busting and way to many wounded birds.

I agree on the sky-busting concept of if you do it, and won't stop, you go home. But I disagree that it has anything to do with what ammo someone shoots. At one time, I enjoyed hunting with hevi-shoot #6s,,,,,performed way better than steel, had a pattern that made life good, and whacked the life out of ducks,,,,I used it mainly on "travel trips" where I wanted to make every shot count,,,,

in fact, I think the higher prices actually make folks more conservative with their shot selection - you want a dead duck every time you pull the trigger on them high dollar jobs,,,,

now before anyone gets' bent (not you hydemarsh) this is only MY opinion, that is all it is,,,other's opnion will vary,,,,

don't make the money I did back then, so a lesser round is what I shoot,,,,like the OK (Hyper-sonics),,,,,,

anyhow, take care

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I agree on the sky-busting concept of if you do it, and won't stop, you go home. But I disagree that it has anything to do with what ammo someone shoots. At one time, I enjoyed hunting with hevi-shoot #6s,,,,,performed way better than steel, had a pattern that made life good, and whacked the life out of ducks,,,,I used it mainly on "travel trips" where I wanted to make every shot count,,,,

in fact, I think the higher prices actually make folks more conservative with their shot selection - you want a dead duck every time you pull the trigger on them high dollar jobs,,,,

now before anyone gets' bent (not you hydemarsh) this is only MY opinion, that is all it is,,,other's opnion will vary,,,,

don't make the money I did back then, so a lesser round is what I shoot,,,,like the OK (Hyper-sonics),,,,,,

anyhow, take care

good points