Young Non-typical

steeld3_4

Six Pointer
What's your guess on age of this buck? Looks young but an impressive rack! Craziest racked buck I've ever gotten a picture of.
88162ec35cb35d44e5814232ec091432.jpg
ce62606fae7b2238e35b74e50de42f2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldn't blame anyone for shooting him but I bet he would be awesome in a year or two.

sent from...... Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I'd say he's 3 as well, but a late October pic will tel the tale.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
That's a really cool deer, with a ton of potential. He's one of those deer you might kill but aren't upset if ya don't, cause you know he may be huge in the coming years.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
He sure looks like he has the makings of something special if he grows good next year or two. But I doubt he will get passed by most anyone this year.
I believe this is the most useful part of cameras to allow you to pre determine what deer look like before the Hunt juices take over, a lot easier to recognize a deer and pass it than make a split seconds determination the first time you see them on hoof.
What ever you decide when you see him he's a nice buck

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Im going with 3 but I wouldn't be surprised if he was 4. NC deer just do not have the obvious body characteristics you see on Midwest deer.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Im going with 3 but I wouldn't be surprised if he was 4. NC deer just do not have the obvious body characteristics you see on Midwest deer.

I agree... Judging deer by body characteristics is such a crap shoot for our deer. About all you can tell for sure is the difference between a fawn, and a 1 1/2 old. After that it is a crap shoot IMO.

Deer body characteristics are somewhat similar to people, minus the morbidly obese people. We have short people, tall people, bean poles, stumps, and everything in between. Deer are no different. Body shape and size give a hint at age, but only a hint. Deer have a much rougher life than humans, so you won't see any obese deer. They would die almost instantly in the wild.