Ohio DIY

Cuzz

Spike
Anyone care to share do's and don't for a public land hunt. I have been researching tranquility and Shawnee. I have hunted public lands in NC, just curious about trying Ohio.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A ton of hunters now days on public but still some big deer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Don't go in November...I used to love hunting Ohio, but I don't even go anymore. Pressure is ridiculous.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Don't go in November...I used to love hunting Ohio, but I don't even go anymore. Pressure is ridiculous.

I've looked at the same thing for several years. The wifes family lives in Ohio and every time I go to visit I want to hunt but I've gotten the same response from everyone I asked that the public lands arent worth it because of pressure. I will say i've seen spike yearlings there on the side of the road that look like beef cows they are so fat.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Public lands in OH are like public lands in many states. To find the deer, you need to walk far from where you park. My nephew and his father-in-law have been shooting from very nice bucks on OH public lands the last few years. The typical public hunter doesn't like to stray more than a few hundred yards from their vehicle.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^There are deer there to be killed, and good ones to boot. My only point was it doesn't matter how far you're willing to walk if you can't find a parking spot;) Honestly, I think turkey season is worse than deer. You've got 2 groups hunting then...one for turkey and one for shrooms, and it's CRAZY! The same spots that will have 2 or 3 trucks in mid November will have 10 or 12 in the spring.

Last edited:

dgaines

Button Buck
If your interested...this is very near where I hunt each year; its a good deal for primitive lodging and three hot meals a day for a whole week, but you self-deploy in Tar Hollow State Forest for each days hunt.

Also, if you have not yet checked, out of state fees in Ohio went up this year.

http://www.lothac.com/TarHollowHunt.html

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
welcome to the board dgaines,,,,,,,and that's the best description of that area I have seen lately,,,,,,,,,,,,

Greater Fayette-Bragg Metro-Military Complex

hharke

Button Buck
Contributor
Late season muzzleloader in Jan is the ticket. Salt fork management area near intersection of 70/77 is open. Be prepared for damn cold and wind. Ground blind with heater is best.

The state website has maps of areas.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I killed my Ohio buck last year during muzzloader and it was 2 degrees. I loved the cold wea thet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Public lands in OH are like public lands in many states. To find the deer, you need to walk far from where you park. My nephew and his father-in-law have been shooting from very nice bucks on OH public lands the last few years. The typical public hunter doesn't like to stray more than a few hundred yards from their vehicle.

Unfortunately in some parks your never far enough away from a road and definitely not from a walking trail to get away from anybody.