Flounder rig questions

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
When using artificial bait ie jigs and gulp, how are y'all rigging them. All I've ever used was a gulp shrimp and a big head bit have heard bucktails and double drop buck tail rigs work.
So is there any rigs I should try or look into. All I've ever caught was 1 keeper flounder.
Ps going to portsmouth is Sept anybody else going or been? How's the fishing?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Most flounder are not caught on artificials, they can be caught that way but I'll bet the angler is usually fishing for another species and happens to catch a flounder...Make up a Carolina rig, then use either cut squid or a flounder belly, cut in strips to resemble the size of a minnow or use live minnows for bait...

Something else, when a flounder bites, it's not really a strike, the bait just stops, set the hook, and reel...Good luck...

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Red jighead heavy enough to just maintain contact with the bottom with a white 4" grub of your choice. Gulp! Is good but you'll get too much attention from other species that bite the tail.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Justin caught 3 the other day that would of stunk up the frying pan real good, but they were on the short side. Me, I just sat there and watched him.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Flounder will bite a Stingsilver also we use the green and white ones.. Vertical jigging works best with the Stingsilver...Vertical jigging with minnows or cut bait works also..

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
With a regular jig I will use a standard jig head or bucktail. I think gulps are a little more versatile. I have used them on Carolina rigs, drop shots, under popping corks, Texas rigged, and just with a standard jig head. I have had luck on all of them, just depends on the situation when I use each method. For surf fishing I will take my normal bass set up with a Carolina rig and a gulp and work sloughs along the beach.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I've caught several short fish on a white buck tail with a 4" gulp shrimp on it. I know one thing for sure, gulp shrimp are like crack to lizardfish. They keep nipping off enough until they get to the hook. How they get that biga$$ hook in their mouth is beyond me.

damarshall7

Four Pointer
Most flounder are not caught on artificials, they can be caught that way but I'll bet the angler is usually fishing for another species and happens to catch a flounder

I use artificial to target flounder year round, never have a problem catching my limit. Jig head with barely enough weight to keep bottom contact and a Zman paddle tail

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I use artificial to target flounder year round, never have a problem catching my limit. Jig head with barely enough weight to keep bottom contact and a Zman paddle tail

I need to start fishing with you. I do good with artificial. I use the lightest jig head I can to keep good bottom contact. I also like to use spinners on the jig heads. When drifting channels with the tide I like to use live bait, especially mullet minnows on a carolina rig.

Last edited: