Selling or trading my private collection of taxidermy

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, I'm so lazy I've not called game or even my taxidermist yet.....

So.....your ideas/knowledge/references. Other than giving them away or throwing them in the trash or posting it on fleabay.......

....can selling or trading of private items be done in NC without being molested by the state.....

1. Mounted TN boar head, shot in, TN. No proof of where it was taken since it was taken at a lodge hunt near Dollywood way back in the 90s.

2. Tanned raccoon hide, fur on, a gift from a friend way back in PA in the 90s. No proof where taken.

3. Tanned small bear hide, fur on. My first bear kill in Maine about 2002 time frame. No proof where taken.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I believe there is some regulation about the sale of wild animal parts in NC, but it isn't uncommon to see deer heads for sale inside the cracker barrel stores. I assume there is a legal and proper way to handle it.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, but 2 hours of google fu and navigating the NC game web sight has resulted in nothing by way of a yes or no answer! I'm concerned that calling 3 taxidermists and 3 NC Game Wardens and 3 Game Warden Supervisors would increase my confusion by all answer differently. Its feels sort of like the rule doesn't exist until the ticket is written....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
my .04 1/2 cents,,,,,,,,,,

bear no
coon maybe (do you have a trappers license?)
hog - don't know

but according to my google-fu (which I learned from Master Pai),,,your best bet is to email the NCWRC commission as my understanding it's decided on a case by case basis - used to be Tammy Rundle was that POC (she moved on though a couple of years ago),,,but shoot them an email,,,hate for you to get in trouble when a simple email could protect you

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns

bear no
hog - don't know

but according to my google-fu (which I learned from Master Pai),,,your best bet is to email the NCWRC commission as my understanding it's decided on a case by case basis - used to be Tammy Rundle was that POC (she moved on though a couple of years ago),,,but shoot them an email,,,hate for you to get in trouble when a simple email could protect you

Good Idea, then I'd have it in writing.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Mind if I ask why you want to get rid of them?

Don't want them anymore and not conducive to a smaller less stuff oriented retirement life style. So, the stuff has to go to make room for the looming new lifestyle.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns

bear no
hog - don't know

Ok....went straight to the top of the pile and emailed the NCWRC Executive Director, Mr. Myers. We'll see.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
you totally lost me with that post, every single sentence is, well, I basically have no idea what you are saying.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I can't imagine the hog being an issue.

The Raccoon? They sell them at BPS, Cabelas, etc...

The Bear might run you into trouble.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wasn't NC usually something to do with the cost of the taxidermy. If you pay $300 then you could sell it to recoup those costs?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
you totally lost me with that post, every single sentence is, well, I basically have no idea what you are saying.

He may have got 500 normal emails or be out and in meetings.

Hell CRC maybe sent him 50 emails on his own.....

Takes time.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ok....went straight to the top of the pile and emailed the NCWRC Executive Director, Mr. Myers. We'll see.

why would you do that on this type of question? That's like going to the CEO of Ford on a question of an oil change

the website and hunt regs are pretty clear on contacts.

it says:

"For enforcement, hunting/boating safety, boating access areas, fisheries or wildlife management questions, Web site and/or other questions or comments email wrccomments@ncwildlife.org."

I'd send it to them if you really want an answer, or do as you mentioned (give away or trash),,,,,,

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

bear no
hog - don't know

Ask for Daron Barnes. If he can't answer it he can put you in touch with the one that can.