Scotland Neck

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
So I'll be in Scotland neck area for about 8 weeks starting in September for some training. Will only be able to drive back west every other weekend ( 4 hours one way home). I applied for a draw hunt at lower Roanoke game lands for rifle season which looks to be only about 30 minutes from where I'm staying. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other options or wanted to allow me to tag along on some still hunts or even dog hunting ( never done that for deer only bear). More or less it would be just to pass the time on Saturday and Sunday not looking to kill a monster just enjoy some time hunting. I know there are several guys on here from down that way. Would appreciate any ideas or offers. Thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any other year we would be glad to have you. We cancelled all guest days this year due to population concerns.

What kind of training goes on in Scotland Neck??

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
The Tillery gamelands aren't far away from Scotland Neck. Never stepped foot on the place but the whole area has alot of deer.
Can you go during the week at all?
If so I may can take you on the farm I hunt if our schedules work out.

sent from...... Tapatalk

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
Any other year we would be glad to have you. We cancelled all guest days this year due to population concerns.

All good. I appreciate the thought. Will be there for Canine training.

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
The Tillery gamelands aren't far away from Scotland Neck. Never stepped foot on the place but the whole area has alot of deer.
Can you go during the week at all?
If so I may can take you on the farm I hunt if our schedules work out.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Could possibly swing an evening during the week. Not exactly sure what my schedule would be as far as times. I appreciate the offer and will definitely get up with you when i know more on times. Thanks again.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
So I'll be in Scotland neck area for about 8 weeks starting in September for some training. Will only be able to drive back west every other weekend ( 4 hours one way home). I applied for a draw hunt at lower Roanoke game lands for rifle season which looks to be only about 30 minutes from where I'm staying. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other options or wanted to allow me to tag along on some still hunts or even dog hunting ( never done that for deer only bear). More or less it would be just to pass the time on Saturday and Sunday not looking to kill a monster just enjoy some time hunting. I know there are several guys on here from down that way. Would appreciate any ideas or offers. Thanks fellas

You training K9's?

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Let me know when you are up there.....I may not be able to put you in the woods, but I can cook you a good meal at the club and you can hang out with us.....We EAT GOOD!!

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
Let me know when you are up there.....I may not be able to put you in the woods, but I can cook you a good meal at the club and you can hang out with us.....We EAT GOOD!!

I would really appreciate that. I'll stay in touch! Thanks!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I"m about 30 miles southwest of there, could possibly help with a dog or still hunt.

Bolt

Four Pointer
Is it Ventosa Kennel? If so just walk behind the place. There is some of the best hunting in NC at the Kennel. I was a member of Shields beside of Ventosa for years, they are accepting members and may do something special for law enforcement.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Is it Ventosa Kennel? If so just walk behind the place. There is some of the best hunting in NC at the Kennel. I was a member of Shields beside of Ventosa for years, they are accepting members and may do something special for law enforcement.

That is where I was headed. And the hunting is really good in that area.

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer

It is. Thanks for the intel. I will have to check into it. You have a contact name for that hunt club that you could pm me?

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Sounds like you've got a couple offers, but I second the remarks about Tillery. Most of it is within 30 mins of Scotland Neck area. Plenty of sign everywhere. I'll be spending some time there this year, so shoot me a PM if you other offers fall through. Can't say I'll be a professional guide or promise you a deer (as I'm still learning the nuances of public land hunting), but at least you won't be alone....

There are a couple of dove fields on Tillery too, if you're into shooting stuff out of the air. A wise man wouldn't go on opening day, but anytime thereafter is usually worthwhile.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns

What area are you hunting? We are north of town and population seems to be bouncing back pretty strong.