Something just killed one of my deer...does this look like a bobcat to you?

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You said there were vultures in pine trees above a pond near carcass, thats close enough, doesn't have to be a puddle.
Not according to the NCWRC biologists I discussed it with last outbreak. Pond with fish won't have the midges, just like it won't have mosquito larvae. He told me to clean up the pools of standing water and not be concerned about pond or flowing creek.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The tail does look like a mangy yote. I don't doubt coyotes take adult deer here. I have seen them pack hunting deer on several occasions. Pack of 3 to 9 yotes, killed what I could. When they caught a deer one of those times, now that was a sound that would make the hair on your neck stand up. Only a mad man would go toward that sound in the dark. I heard the deer run by, in a few seconds the yotes, few more seconds I heard the kill. Crazy thing is all the pack hunting I have seen has been on the same farm. Ya, I've killed a few yotes there too!

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have seen them pack hunting deer on several occasions.
I've heard them pack hunting twice at night, but have never seen it in the daylight. I could not tell what they were running, it may have been a deer or a rabbit, or some other unfortunate critter. It sounds similar to a dog/deer chase, but is much more high pitched. Both times they ran out of hearing, which makes me think deer more than rabbit.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've heard them pack hunting twice at night, but have never seen it in the daylight. I could not tell what they were running, it may have been a deer or a rabbit, or some other unfortunate critter. It sounds similar to a dog/deer chase, but is much more high pitched. Both times they ran out of hearing, which makes me think deer more than rabbit.

we get that here as well,,,,they have come within 40 yds of the house "running",,,,,could be chasing the dang feral cat population as well,,,,,one of these days I need to go check tracks when they do that,,,,,,,,

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Seems like you can make out the snout of a coyote. granted tail might be a little short but may have some mange going on ,sure looks like a coyote though

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen the deer they were trailing twice. Heard that one once as it ran by at dusk. Know there were 6-9 yotes together one evening, minus one when I saw them. No doubt, they were hunting deer. Kind of reminded me of fox hounds, when they would bark you could tell some were on the track and others were cutting and swinging to cut the game off.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Have a friend who lives in Hoschton, GA. He was sitting in a tree stand last year when a strung out pack of coyotes ran a doe by him. He was able to shoot the last coyote.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
You are comparing winter yotes to summer yotes, their fur will be really thin this time of year and will look almost sick. I see a yote in your pic.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You are comparing winter yotes to summer yotes...
Probably so. Here's one in May...

413486759.jpg