Curly Cleaver is Done

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Finished this one for a customer in California. He's gonna get some good use out of this one.
Steel is recycled buzz saw blade (8670)
Curly maple, white liners, micarta pins and tube.
13" overall and 8.25" blade. Scary sharp convexed edge.
FB_IMG_1500953057287.jpg

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Looks nice. Did you add the imperfections to the blade or were they already there? I saw on facebook that it was made from a buzz saw blade. Good looking work.

<>< Fish

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's probably my favorite so far, awesome work. I liked that one on Facebook as well.
You do really nice work.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks guys. The finish on it is the way I bought the sawmill blade. Its why I bought it. I was looking for furniture with my wife and thought that would make for a food patina.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This is what it started as. Very tough to work with and anneal. Had to try several times to soften and make workable. Finally got it soft enough to drill after soaking it in hot coals from an oak fire overnight. Broke a few expensive drill bits in the process.
0225171430.jpg

Last edited:

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I hope to have a few cleavers, chef's knives, hunters and skinners by the end of the August. Work is picking up but hunting season is right around the corner.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
An easy way to anneal steel is to get a bag of vermiculite from the garden store and pour it into a metal garbage can. Heat the steel to critical and place it in the vermiculite and close the lid. It will be dead soft when you take it out the next day. Although you probably need to cut that blade up before doing that LOL

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Finished this one for a customer in California. He's gonna get some good use out of this one.
Steel is recycled buzz saw blade (8670)
Curly maple, white liners, micarta pins and tube.
13" overall and 8.25" blade. Scary sharp convexed edge.
View attachment 55903

You should be ashamed to be selling such hideous craftsmanship. Best thing you should do is send me one just like it to make sure it's as ugly as I think it is.................just sayin' ;);););)

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You're a real artist, that's a very nice piece of work. Wish I had that talent......